Author Topic: Alfie & Wilf - update!  (Read 46146 times)

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
Re: We can offer a home to a Persian cat (long post; sorry!)
« Reply #176 on: March 16, 2008, 21:49:52 PM »
Ah yes, the colour debate rages on - Wilf is *definitely* red.  :Luv:

Alfie  . . . . well, in 'real life', he appears to be what I can only describe as 'strawberry blonde.'  :Luv2:

'Noosh is blue point and I would say that her floof is cream with the associated markings. Alfie looks like he was a once a cream cat but got caught up in the wash with Wilf, the red cat !  :rofl:

Someone suggested that Alfie might be a red smoke. . . .. I am sure that I will take hundreds of photos after they are at home with us on Tuesday evening and then I will ask for expert opinions here.  ;D

Apparently, they are brothers but I don't really know how the colour variations in pure-bred cats work . . . . . I don't mind; at least we will be able to tell them apart!!  ;)

Offline candyshandy

• Senior Cat
  • Sol, Fabian and Foofoo
« Reply #175 on: March 16, 2008, 21:47:49 PM »
Its just ridiculous really - ah well fingers crossed they are snug in your house soon.

xx

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #174 on: March 16, 2008, 21:43:13 PM »
What a shame they are putting all these obstacles in your way!

Now that picture looks like you have 1 cream and 1 red there  :Luv2: - they look gorgeous  :Luv2: :Luv2:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #173 on: March 16, 2008, 20:29:58 PM »
Its sad to say but yet another rescue that sounds  :censored:

I just dont understand why these rescues are being so difficult.

I hope your trip goes well and that they will be home before you know. They look like they will be very happy to have a forever home, where they can settle and be loved  ;D

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #172 on: March 16, 2008, 20:22:51 PM »
Just a quick update - the next time I spoke to them, I said (nicely) that if it means that I can get the cats home to me any quicker, I'll have the FeLV done with my vet. I didn't mention the cost as I am so worried that I will be 'judged' if I say that I don't want to pay any more than I already am. It's not that I am not prepared to pay but I would have liked to have had this made clear to me in the first place and felt like the goalposts were being moved after they knew that I was definitely wanting to adopt these two. I asked politley to speak to the manager but although she was there in the room (I could hear her in the background), she simply relayed her replies to my questions to the person I was talking to.

All rather odd - but as I said, I am so keen to get these boys home that I am not going to cause any last minute changes of plan. I did ask if there was any way to collect Alfie & Wilf this weekend but was given an absolute NO. As they are closed on Monday, I will be finishing work at my usual time of 1.30 and dashing like a mad thing over to collect them. The journey takes about one hour, 20 minutes and they know this - but said that I *had* to be there by 3pm if I definitely wanted to take them home that day! It's maddenly frustrating - I hope that I don't get stuck in the traffic and arrive there at 3.10pm, therefore forfeiting my right to adopt them . . .  . .

As my husband needs to stay here to collect my daughter from school, one of my lovely neighbours has volunteered to come with me so that she can soothe the cats in the car on the way home whilst I can concentrate on driving (by that time in the evening, this route will be awful.  >:(). I have no idea how the boys will cope with being in the car for that length of time so it is good to have her with me. She is a reiki master and tells me that cats respond really well to the treatment!

Anyway, only a couple of days to go . . . . . in the meantime, here is another pic of them!!!!  :Luv2:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #171 on: March 13, 2008, 08:00:49 AM »
I would speak to the manager, sadly us volunteers dont always have the right to say things, so you might get a better answer. It is also worth speaking to them again over the Sat, when I adopted my second cat from a rescue, they allowed me to go later than normal due to my working hours so I could have her on the Friday, so they might be willing to be flexible if you have a chat with 'the boss'. I would also have a chat about the extra money, and if you do feel the need to have the FeLV done, do it in your own time. Good luck.
Please spay your cat

Offline candyshandy

• Senior Cat
  • Sol, Fabian and Foofoo
« Reply #170 on: March 12, 2008, 22:28:04 PM »
I was about to suggest the same thing - none of mine have the leukaemia jab.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #169 on: March 12, 2008, 22:24:55 PM »
In view of this, I suggested to the centre that they give them the first shot and then I would take them to my own, local vet and pay for the booster myself. It seemed to make sense and the centre agreed.

But today, they called me and told me that the centre manager wanted me to make an additional donation towards the adoption of the cats as they were going to give them the flu enteritis jab as part of the adoption cost but not the leukemia jab. If I wanted the leukemia jab, I would have to pay extra. . . . . even though I had already told them I would be covering the cost of the booster myself (in essence, saving them the expense - something I was happy to do because they are a charity)  :scared:

I would say they don't need to have the leukemia jab anyway, so why can't they just do the flu/enteritis jab, which as you say, is  part of the adoption cost. If you then want to give them the leukemia jab at some point in the future you can do so. The fewer vaccinations they have at any one time the better I think anyway.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #168 on: March 12, 2008, 21:58:56 PM »
I think you should talk to the centre manager because it sounds that for some reason she is being extremely difficult.

It may help clear the air and it could be that somethings havent been passsed on correctly from the staff you are dealing with.

I think for the cats to wait another week in a pen is ridiculous and am syure thay can sort this if thery really want.

Good luck and just try having a friendly word with her cos  I am sure it will help  :hug:

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #167 on: March 12, 2008, 20:26:29 PM »
Not at all. It is simply that when you have a problem you go to the person who has the delegation to deal with the problem. Volunteers are rarely in that position. They have a set of rules by which they are required to operate, and depending on their intellectual calibre, can at times, be terribly inflexible. They are like any other random group of human beings. Some stick with the rules that make them feel safe. others stick with the rules because it gives them power, and others stick with the rules because they feel they have an obligation to do so. I go to the top because that is the person who has the ultimate say-so and it short-circuits a lot of messing around. I have been a volunteer in a variety of activities, and just as in the workplace, the calibre of the person dictates, the quality of the service.

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #166 on: March 12, 2008, 20:14:13 PM »
Oh dear, Blackcat - either you think I am having a go at the volunteers who frequent these boards (not so, much respect to you all from me!) or that I am planning to have a rant to the lovely people at the centre who I have been 'dealing' with ; it's absolutely **not** the case at all!!   :-:

Or have I misread your post??   :(

What I *AM* actually going to do is pay my £120 *AND* a further donation - and say nothing to the centre!

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #165 on: March 12, 2008, 20:02:24 PM »
Me, I would be asking to speak to the centre management rather than taking out my ire on the hapless volunteer. I am sure if you speak to them, and they are reasonable you can work something out. Never deal with go-between when things start going pearshaped!

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #164 on: March 12, 2008, 19:58:54 PM »
Hmm.

I had a phone call from the centre today regarding the cats I am intending to adopt. They have spoken to my local rescue centre who homechecked me before and they have no problems homing to me on the feedback they got.

However . . . .

when I went to see the cats, I was told that they hadn't been vaccinated and therefore I would have to wait for them to be done. I was told that the centre would do all the vaccinations but it would mean that I would have to take the cats back for the booster vaccination. This would mean a 70 mile round trip and take two trips of 1.5 hours door to door. I don't have too much of a problem with the distance but don't think it's fair on the cats to be traveling for all of this time just for their vaccinations. In view of this, I suggested to the centre that they give them the first shot and then I would take them to my own, local vet and pay for the booster myself. It seemed to make sense and the centre agreed.

But today, they called me and told me that the centre manager wanted me to make an additional donation towards the adoption of the cats as they were going to give them the flu enteritis jab as part of the adoption cost but not the leukemia jab. If I wanted the leukemia jab, I would have to pay extra. . . . . even though I had already told them I would be covering the cost of the booster myself (in essence, saving them the expense - something I was happy to do because they are a charity)  :scared:

The pay policy at the centre is, basically; moggies £45, pure breeds £60. Adopting these cats is costing me £120 plus I have offered to pay for the booster myself.  Before anyone shoots me down, I am not trying to duck out of contributing to a charity but given that the cats came in a week ago from a loving home and only needed microchipping, a couple of knots removing (easily groomed out) and their vaccinations (some of which, I explained, I am covering the cost of), it seems a bit ripe to ask me to contribute more than the usual £60 fee. (a fee which is levied to cover neutering (not needed) full vaccinations plus booster, microchipping, flea & worm treatments (not needed).)

I have always been a bit puzzled by the fact that most rescue centres tell me that persians are often overlooked - but then charge more for them anyway! Yes, I agree that the centres may seem them as high maintenance (especially when short of time & resources) but are they likely to get people interested by notching up the price?

I am now left feeling that I have no option but to pay extra to the centre. What annoys me is that it's the centre manager who has told the assistant to tell me this - I didn't actually meet the centre manager. Is it my choice of breed of cat that makes people think I am rolling in money? I am just trying to do the right thing and at the end of the day, a cat is a cat is a cat, isn't it? Well, okay, we know that's not true but I hate the differentiation between pure-breed and non.

And yes, I know that the fee for my cats will help pay the day to day running expenses of the shelter but . . . . I don't know. It's difficult not to feel churlish when it comes to a charity. And the last time I adopted from the RSPCA, the ringworm riddled cats they sent us home with (without telling us about the ringworm - first I knew was when MY hair started to fall out in round circular chunks . . . .) cost us almost £1000 (one thousand pounds :shocked:) to sort out, from disinfecting the house, shampoo for the cats, prescription drugs for the whole human family, AND a cancelled operation to have my gallbladder removed as the hospital took a dim view to me having ringworm! 

I am sorry to rant. I just think that this should have been made clearer to me in the first place. I am not in the position to state that money is not a problem for me - and of course, I would spend as much as it takes to keep my cats healthy and happy - but in taking on two new cats, it means two new insurance policies, two new little floof-balls to the vet as often as needed, possible flea treatments, food, etc etc etc. It's all cope-able (I wouldn't adopt them if I didn't think I couldn't afford them at any point) but I don't have a bottomless pit of money. . . .

Oh, and in addition to this, because I didn't 'book in' a specific time to collect them on Saturday, I am not allowed to go and get them as they will be too busy. Because of my job and collecting my daughter from school, coupled with the 1.5 hour drive and the fact that they close at 4pm, we won't be able to get them until the following weekend - so the cats will be occupying a pen needlessly when they could have been settling in with us!!!  >:(

I really AM sorry to go on. It's just really frustrating when you are trying so hard to do the right thing by these little cats . . . . . .

Feel free to tell me I am wrong - I don't work in a centre so don't know what happens in the background. I am sorry if this is the case and I am coming over as being totally unreasonable . . . ..     :-[

Offline Garfield&Gypsy

• Senior Cat
  • Garfield
« Reply #163 on: March 09, 2008, 16:01:30 PM »
Woohoo!
They've finally found you!

Good luck with the new additions (when they arrive  ;))
Nicola, Chris, Garfield & Gypsy

I cannot deny that a cat lover and his cat have a master/slave relationship. The cat is the master.

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #162 on: March 09, 2008, 15:32:56 PM »
I am supposed to be doing some housework in preparation for the new arrivals but I just keep finding myself drawn to gaze at their pictures on my computer!!!     :Luv:

I can't believe that we have found them - I really think that it was obviously meant to be . . . and it certainly paid to be patient (although I didn't feel very patient at the time!)

Yes, they *are* beautiful, aren't they - but the big bonus is that they have amazing characters, too and I know that they will fit really well into our family. A week is going to seem like a long time before we can see them again . . . .

Thanks for all the lovely comments!

Gillian - I've PM'd you!

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #161 on: March 09, 2008, 15:25:04 PM »
They look gorgeous  :Luv2: bet you can't wait to get them home?!

Offline madkittyrescue

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #160 on: March 09, 2008, 09:08:36 AM »
oh they are beautiful harna  :Luv2:

congrats.. I'm sure you will all be very happy in your new little family!  :)

look forward to the update pics! ;)
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Puffball (Louise)

• Senior Cat
« Reply #159 on: March 09, 2008, 00:46:15 AM »
Such beautiful boys  :Luv2: :Luv2:

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #158 on: March 09, 2008, 00:12:35 AM »
Hello again,

I know that they are not officially ours yet (waiting for the homecheck info to be passed over) but I just can't stop smiling! My other half and daughter are away and so didn't see the boys with me today and they haven't even seen the pictures yet as they don't have an internet connection where they are. It's maddening!  :Crazy:

CandyShandy: I spoke to my husband on the phone and told him that they were gorgeous. He asked "are they as lovely looking as the red cat you showed me on the forum?". I said yes and he knew then that we had finally found the right cats for us!  :Luv2:  (obviously we spoke more about their little characters, but you know what I mean!)

Thanks for all the lovely comments - since I first posted on this board I have experienced nothing but wonderful, helpful and dedicated people (okay, and slightly bonkers, too!     ;) ) who have been absolutely  *fantastic*. I would like to thank each and every one of you for your support, advice, and for being extra pairs of eyes out there, trying to find us the right cats to join our family. It's easy to forget sometimes that there are some genuinely lovely people who are kind, compassionate and considerate in a world where bad news is reported more readily than good. I have certainly learned a lot in the brief time that I have been posting here (still not learnt how to edit my lengthy posts, though, eh?!  :-[  ) and I am sure that it will make me a better person, too. I am seriously considering volunteering at a local shelter . . . . . .

Anyway, I shall let you know how I get on with Alfie and Wilf . . .  and yes, we will be keeping the names as they have had them for 5 years and respond to them . . . . .and post some decent pics when they are home and settled.

Keep up all the good work and I'll pop back soon!

Thanks again!
 :hug:

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #157 on: March 08, 2008, 23:05:47 PM »
I love Alfies colour  :Luv:

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #156 on: March 08, 2008, 22:29:35 PM »
Great news  ;D

Offline candyshandy

• Senior Cat
  • Sol, Fabian and Foofoo
« Reply #155 on: March 08, 2008, 22:15:02 PM »
2 Solly's!! :Luv: :Luv:

They are gorgeous - but obviously I'm biased because they are so like my lad  ;) :Luv:

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #154 on: March 08, 2008, 22:11:14 PM »
They are absolutely gorgeous -really pleased for you .
Another 2 cats gone to a loving home .

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Amy, Cpl. Smokey and Lord Chester Red Bear <3
« Reply #153 on: March 08, 2008, 20:29:42 PM »
Jealous. So very jealous.

What a wonderful happy story! I'm thrilled to bits for you and your newly extended family.  :hug:
Ashfield and Amber Valley Cats Protection and Cat Chat

http://www.catchat.org/ashfield/cgibin/prtoc.cgi
http://www.ashfieldcats.org.uk
http://www.catchat.org/topcats

True love is rescued. Miss you always Josh and Hope xx

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #152 on: March 08, 2008, 20:28:21 PM »
That's brilliant news, congratulations  ;D :Luv:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #151 on: March 08, 2008, 20:24:59 PM »
Glad you have found yourself a lovely pair of boys  :Luv:

Are you keeping the names? I like Wilf

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #150 on: March 08, 2008, 19:51:54 PM »
Great news! And they are lovely :)

Offline Puffball (Louise)

• Senior Cat
« Reply #149 on: March 08, 2008, 19:50:57 PM »
Fantastic news  :yesss:
They are beautiful  :Luv2:

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
  • RIP My beloved boys Bertie, Oscar & Edgar
  • Slave to: Nina & Rio
« Reply #148 on: March 08, 2008, 19:45:59 PM »
Thats brilliant - and just what you were looking for!! Congratulations  :hug: :hug:
Love from Rachael & fur babies Nina & Rio

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Always loved, never forgotten

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #147 on: March 08, 2008, 18:57:02 PM »
What handsome boys  :wow:  I've been following your search and am so pleased for you and your family  :)

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #146 on: March 08, 2008, 18:50:44 PM »
Blackcat - I am indebted to you for your help!  :thanks:

I have to run now as I am supposed to be going out to dinner very soon but I am so covered in bits of red-cat floof that I have to jump in the shower. . . . catch you later!!!    :Luv2:

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #145 on: March 08, 2008, 18:49:07 PM »
This is Wilf. Handsome lad, huh?!  :Luv2:

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #144 on: March 08, 2008, 18:46:47 PM »

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #143 on: March 08, 2008, 18:45:13 PM »
worked better the second time - he looks rather cute I have to say and I like the 'open' face a lot more than the usual (ran into the back end of a bus) look! Gorgeous colour!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 18:46:37 PM by blackcat »

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #142 on: March 08, 2008, 18:45:01 PM »

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #141 on: March 08, 2008, 18:44:28 PM »
oh.

:censored:

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #140 on: March 08, 2008, 18:43:53 PM »
Thanks for the advice

here is photo bucket attempt 1 - hopefully you will see a picture of Alfie!   ;[

IMG]http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh317/Harna73/Alfie1.jpg[/IMG]

Offline lucy

• Hero Cat
  • Xanthe
« Reply #139 on: March 08, 2008, 18:37:33 PM »
How exciting - looking forward to seeing the pics!

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #138 on: March 08, 2008, 18:36:42 PM »
set yourself up a Photobucket account (photobucket.com) and download into there. Then select the bottom of the links on offer to the bottom right of the uploaded pic, and paste it into your post. The picture will magically appear in your post, even though all you can see is the link in your message box ... ;D

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #137 on: March 08, 2008, 18:32:16 PM »
It won't let me put up the pic as it is, apparently, too big.  >:(  >:(

I have no idea how to resize.  :-:

(I am using a Mac with no discernible photo editing program . . . . .)

grrrrr     :'( :censored:

Link to CatChat