Author Topic: Alfie & Wilf - update!  (Read 46301 times)

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
Re: We can offer a home to a Persian cat (long post; sorry!)
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2008, 12:43:54 PM »
You're in Derbyshire, right?

We have relatives up there and it's half term this week . . . .  here's me, looking into possibilities for visiting if their needs can be met by our household. . . .!!  :briggin:

Otherwise, if they need assessments, we are up your way the second weekend in March . . . . . .

Fingers crossed, eh?!

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2008, 12:41:40 PM »
Excellent . . . . . we wait with baited breath!   :wow:

Please let us know when you do  . . . . .    ;D
 :thanks:

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Amy, Cpl. Smokey and Lord Chester Red Bear <3
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2008, 12:36:30 PM »
Breaking news. We have two persians coming in this weekend. That is all I know at the minute but I'll keep you informed....
Ashfield and Amber Valley Cats Protection and Cat Chat

http://www.catchat.org/ashfield/cgibin/prtoc.cgi
http://www.ashfieldcats.org.uk
http://www.catchat.org/topcats

True love is rescued. Miss you always Josh and Hope xx

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2008, 13:22:53 PM »
Hello,

Yes, I've been following the sad story of Asha and Suzy. Unfortunately, we do not fit the home that is needed for them (6 yo daughter, busier household, etc etc.) However, we are in contact with Cheryl-Anne from Chapelhouse regarding other cat/s!

Thanks for checking if I'd seen this  . . . . .

Best wishes
 :)

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2008, 21:59:15 PM »
As an aside . . . . I seem to spend all my time at home searching for stuff on the internet; I only go to work at the moment for a change of scene!

have been informed tonight that it's World Book Day on March 6th and my daughter has to go to school dressed as a character from a book. Given that she's just finished reading the first Harry Potter and has gone HP crazy, she has announced that she wishes to go dressed as Hermione! So, it's a trawl here (well, not on purrs, but on the interweb in general)  and a trawl around the charity shops tomorrow to find grey school uniform as, typically, my daughter's very-strict-can-only-buy-from-John-Lewis uniform is bottle green!! Arragh!!!  :doh:

Oh well, keeps me out of trouble and 'Noosh gets plenty of lap time as I am riveted to the chair in front of the 'puter!!!!

Rant over . . . . . but hey, whilst you are looking for a red cat for me, can you find me a Gryffindor cloak, tie and scarf, please?!!!  :briggin:   :sneaky:

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2008, 21:52:42 PM »
Thanks for being our eyes up in Derbyshire - my OH's parents are not far from there (Burton On Trent, Staffs) but they hate cats ergo I hate them!  :rofl:

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2008, 21:50:44 PM »

um, at what point does cat owning become and addiction?!  :um:

Usually the point at which you join Purrs!

Good luck on your continued quest, I'll keep looking in Derbyshire for you (although you'd have to wrestle the cat off me first!)

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2008, 21:15:36 PM »
Hello again,

I just wanted to say, what a lovely forum this seems to be!  :Luv2:

And also, thanks to everyone who has replied to my post - it's been a bit of a blast! We still haven't found THE cat but we are sure that we are well on the way as we have had many replies from dedicated breed rescues saying that they will keep an eye out for us.

The rest of my family and I had a good long chat about it this evening.  :Crazy: We looked at all the persians that I've been alerted to via you helpful bunch and apart from deciding that one day we'll probably end up with a houseful of rescue cats (my daughter, at this point, kindly pointed out that they weren't caped cats in tight spandex coming to the aid of someone in peril  . . . yeah, thanks!), for the moment we would really really like to have a RED cat. The others all reminded us a little too much of past/existing cats we've had the pleasure of and therefore, as I said in that LOOONG first post, we would like to get that red cat that we first set out to get 15 years ago.

Whilst I know that there are hundreds of non-red persians out there, we have had to make the decision that, just until we get a bigger house, we can't take them all. I feel a little guilty   :-[ about turning down ANY cat (of any breed) to be honest and admire all those who volunteer at animal shelters - I am sure I would be stuffing kittens in pockets before leaving every evening . . . . .  um, at what point does cat owning become and addiction?!  :um:

Anyway, the help you have offered has been invaluable - and please bear us in mind should you see a needy red persian on your travels . . . . I will keep you posted!

Thanks again, and all my very best wishes,

H
 :Flowers:

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2008, 16:53:12 PM »
I don't care what colour they are, I want em!  :Luv: I adore colourpoints

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2008, 16:36:43 PM »
Descriptions changed - thanks for laughing at me Gillian  :-[  :-[

:shy:

Awww, sorry Kelly, thought that was just a link to another rescue that had some persians, didnt realise it was one you are involved with - not laughing! (honest  :evillaugh:) Pointed persians come in many of the  same range of colours as raggies, so you might be able to tell whether Lelou is a blue-cream by comparing. Actually looking again - I'm not sure that Ziggy isnt a lilac-point - difficult to tell from the photos.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2008, 09:05:28 AM »
Have you seen Sooty? http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php?topic=12065.0;topicseen

She is not a million miles from you...
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2008, 00:51:14 AM »
A friend of ours used to breed Persians years ago, not sure if he still does as we've not spoke in a while.   I never really used to take much notice of them tbh but when I got FooFoo, I immediately fell in love with her  :Luv:  :Luv:  Another one I have a real soft spot for is Fabes  :Luv:  :Luv:  He has the most gorgeous mush and I love him to bits and I was kinda spoilt with having Willow here as well, both he and FooFoo have the most fantastic temperaments  :Luv2:  I think as a breed, I can see why peeps get hooked on them and all the one's I've met up to now have all been utterly gorgeous  :Luv2:  :Luv2:

Offline Kelly

• Distinguished Cat
  • My first rescues Chas and Dave!!!
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2008, 00:33:24 AM »
Descriptions changed - thanks for laughing at me Gillian  :-[  :-[

:shy:
Only The Educated Are Free

www.catactiontrust1977.co.uk

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2008, 00:30:51 AM »
I never liked persians much but Gillians cats really have changed my mind  ;D

Those cats are lovely Kelly you are right.

Offline Kelly

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2008, 00:27:41 AM »
I'll be honest Gillian I have absolutely no idea about persians and as the current owner did not divulge colours I had to guess  - all I know is they are beautiful beautiful cats and its my lack of knowledge about the breed that stops me homing them myself(that and my 3 dshs I have already) It would be unfair for 2 kitties at their age to come to an inexperienced owner as it will be a traumatic enough experience for them moving anyway ( I am absolutely gutted  :(  )

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2008, 22:06:42 PM »
Not sure if this is any use - I'll be honest I haven't had time to read through all the posts  :-[  www.catactiontrust1977.co.uk  We have two persians looking. Just a thought!

Oops!  think they got the wrong description! - both look like bluepoints to me or bluepoint and a blue-cream point - not a cream and a grey LOL! Wish I hadnt looked at that link - would have to be colourpoints wouldnt it?!! - good job is too far away LOL  ;D
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 22:40:46 PM by Gillian (Ambercat) »

Offline Kelly

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2008, 21:19:35 PM »
Not sure if this is any use - I'll be honest I haven't had time to read through all the posts  :-[  www.catactiontrust1977.co.uk  We have two persians looking. Just a thought!

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2008, 19:05:59 PM »
It's pretty ironic; I've been spending about an hour every evening trawling through all the online rescue sites for any updates for about 6 weeks

I didn't actually put Abigail on mine, I've been a bit lapse lately on updating my page but it's a shame you weren't a member of Purrs as I have a thread about her on here somewhere  :tired:

I will let you know if things don't work out, and good luck in your search anyway  :hug:
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 00:52:24 AM by Dawn (DiddyDawn) »

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2008, 19:01:48 PM »
Dawn . . . . obviously I am hoping that the home you have lined up is the perfect one for the   :)RED :) cat in your care . . . but do bear us in mind should it not work out . . . . .

It's pretty ironic; I've been spending about an hour every evening trawling through all the online rescue sites for any updates for about 6 weeks now  and finally decided last night to send out emails to anyone and everyone! Since then, I've had about 20 mails saying . . . . "Ooo, if only you had emailed a couple of weeks ago as we've just homed a red persian . . . . ." Oh well - if it's meant to be, it's meant to be! We will sit and wait . . . . .

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2008, 18:52:47 PM »
 :-[ Oops, sorry my apology, Abigail is a gorgeous Red Persian  ;)

Offline candyshandy

• Senior Cat
  • Sol, Fabian and Foofoo
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2008, 18:38:22 PM »
Dawn she's red not ginger  ;) :P

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2008, 18:35:34 PM »
What a shame this post wasn't a couple of weeks ago  :tired:  I've got a gorgeous Ginger Persian Girl but I have someone interested in her now, but if things don't work out, I could always let you know if you've not found one.  She is being spayed hopefully sometime this week and then going to her new home but not sure how she will pan out with the other 2 cats.

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2008, 17:34:55 PM »
 :Luv: those eyes!

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2008, 17:29:51 PM »
Yeah, not a good advert for the argument that Persian's really are happy cats, eh?!

How about this one of Mahla? When we rescued them, they had terrible ringworm (which they gave to us and my hair fell out in circular clumps to - I tell you, we are *so* dedicated to our cats if that' s what we are prepared to put up with!) and had to be bathed twice a week for months . . . . Mahla was *so* uncomplaining - she was a wonderful little cat . . . .

[attachment deleted by admin]

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2008, 17:21:40 PM »
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:  ooooh look at that face!

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2008, 17:20:20 PM »
Noosh - pretty laid back, huh?!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline kelly-joy

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2008, 16:24:26 PM »
I can't help you as we only have ragdolls in at the moment but we have had a chinchilla in before don't know if you remember her Chase here are some pics of her.
I will keep my eye out for you though.

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2008, 15:36:25 PM »
Sam; there are times when I wonder if I should have gone for a less floofy breed of cat - but this is when I am usually late for work and can't find the sticky roller thing to get the hair off my clothing!  :heeee heeee:

My work colleagues have long accepted me going into work disguised as a cat . . . . .

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2008, 15:31:43 PM »
Don't worry Harna you've not offened anyone ... I just didn't want you to overlook an oriental on the grounds of noise.  I know what you mean about having a preference for a certainly body type / coat length etc.  I'm into the sleek slinkyness of orientals and not so keep on long furred kitties ... of course that doesn't mean I don't find them beautiful (all cats are gorgeous)  ;)

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2008, 15:18:31 PM »
Hello Aitch (my usual nickname; now I know why it was refused here!!!  :briggin:)

just had a look - will attempt to find out some more about them; thanks for letting me know! Will keep you posted!

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2008, 15:17:02 PM »
Hi Gillian,

Wow - your Ben is a handsome chap and a lot like 'Noosh, too! And don't you think that Persians are much maligned as being 'grumpy' when in actual fact they just can't help the faces they are born with?! I've seen some persians whose noses are higher than their eyes, bless them!  :-:

I can't believe you've currently got NINE persians!  :Crazy: Actually - I am rather jealous . . . I can see myself as being a bit of a mad cat lady when I reach a certain age (not long to go now, it feels!)

Yep, I've been keeping an eye on the place in Wiltshire - I was quite taken by Athena . . . . but my husband is really not sure as he was so attached to our old boy, Leo, who was self-black, that he is really adamant that we won't be having another black (or predominantly black) cat.

The good news is that I have had loads of replies to my emails from rescue centres (including breed specific) and they are all looking out for us.  We just have to be patient!

Offline aitch

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Loki, Tabitha, Frank, Nell and Percy
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2008, 15:10:45 PM »
I've just had a look on one of our local cat rescue websites www.tvaw.org.uk (based in Reading/Henley area)

They have Spencer and Kelly looking for a home together. They are a pair of 12 year old blue Persian male cats who apparently love attention and being groomed.  :Luv2:

Hope this may be of interest.....there is a pic of them on the website (look under adopt a cat!)

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2008, 15:06:43 PM »
The pics of your cats are lovely,  your Anoosheh looks like my Ben, except she doesnt look as grumpy as him! - he's not grumpy though, he's a happy little chappy!

Nice to hear of another persian lover! I've got 9 currently, some I've had since kittens, some as adult cats, and I've had several rescue persians over the years, my faves are colourpoints.

Not sure what part of the country your'e in, but have you tried the Persian, Chinchilla rescue in Wiltshire? They've got several at the moment - just seen a lovely tortie girl on the site! http://www.cat-society-chinchilla.org.uk/rehome.htm

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2008, 14:24:51 PM »
Oh Sam,  I don't mind loud cats; in fact, I love it when cats are vocal . . . although I have to say, most of mine have become shouty about 5 minutes after we've decided to go to bed!  :sneaky:

I think I am attracted, mostly, to chunkier cats given that I am  . . . ahem . . .  slightly on the chunky side myself. (not hairy or with a snub nose, though, before you take the comparison a little further!) Although I thought this one eyed oriental was amazing, it was his one-eyedness and his personality that attracted me the most;  of course, he was amazingly proportioned, beautifully svelte and the sort of shape that if he were a human, people would envy and hate him in equal measures! Does that make sense?!  I didn't mean to upset or make indignant any oriental cat lovers. . . .  .  :-[ ;)

Corporal Smoky;  what a difference! The second picture is more floofed and relaxed and overall more healthy! Most of the Caster pics on Mahla's account were taken within the first two weeks of her living with us - I should try to update with some pictures taken in those great few months we had with her before her decline and eventually passing away - she looked like a different cat and not at all angry and 'hard' and staring. It's amazing how they morph into softer cats with some love.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2008, 14:16:04 PM »
I have to agree Sam, although my mother once (against all advice) adopted a tortipoint siamese who made such a racket that the neighbours used to call us to find out what we were doing to it (and they lived two paddocks over from us). But none of mine has ever been particularly noisy except at food time or, as you say, when in a cage in the car. Pavarotti (my last siamese) was named for his lung capacity, not his tunefulness ... but that was only in the car home from the vet. And if you consider he had spent the previous half hour being drowned in flea treatment, having worming tablets shoved down his throat and other indignities, you can sort of see his point at the time. Smidgen hardly ever vocalises except for food or in the cat cage. Even then it is a remarkably muted noise, all things considered ...

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2008, 14:14:34 PM »

We used to call Mahla the 'owl cat' as her eyes were so huge and so round!

That's really weird, we used to call our BSH girl an owl because she had really round eyes and her head used to turn and look at stuff the same way an owl does!

Corporal Smokey is a very hairy ultra-faced persian who came to us 5months ago in terrible condition. He's getting better but we have to clean his eyes and the scrunchy bits next to his nose constantly.

There are some pictures of him before and afetr here...

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php?topic=11380.msg191502#msg191502

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2008, 14:10:52 PM »
Harna,

In defense of the noisy orientals  ... just wanted to say if you are ever tempted by another oriental but you think s/he may be too noisy trust me they are NOT like that all the time!  I have always known orientals and when confined in a pen / cat carrier / shed they are the nosiest howling beasties on the planet ... they DO NOT like being confined and ingorned!  However once in a home environment they are no noisier than any other cat.

I currently have two Abyssinians and I hate going to the vet with mine cuz everyone is convinced they are always making the horrendous yowling miaow all the time however they hardly ever speak when we are home alone!  :rofl: :rofl:

It's always difficult to judge a cats true personality when they are in a pen.

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2008, 14:06:24 PM »
Corporal Smoky - yeah, not sure that whole 'jedi claw' thing would be great for our household! But as you say, I am sure that the right cat will come along - and the right owners for the ones that we can't have for whatever reason!

Regarding their eyes; you know, ever since Mahla passed away, I have to actually clean 'Nooshe's eyes! Mahla used to be the washing cat; mothering all the others (I have some great video of her purringly slobbering all over a very patient 'Noosh!) and I think she used to clean the others' eyes for them. Fortunately, as they are pretty open faced, we've not had the whole dirty eye thing happening although as I said, more recently I've had to wash Noosh's on occasion.  . . . .

We used to call Mahla the 'owl cat' as her eyes were so huge and so round!

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2008, 14:02:06 PM »
Meant to say, your cats are  :Luv:  :Luv:  :Luv: particularly the angry-looking bridge babes(RIP). That face is what got me hooked on persians. Their eyes look so clear too, I wish I could keep the Corporal's that nice but he's grotty!

Link to CatChat