Cat Health & Behaviour > Health & Behaviour General

Getting used to doggo

<< < (7/8) > >>

Sassybot:
Thanks for the advise all.  I'd rather not crate her as she was kept in a space pretty much 24/7 at her old home and she is a bit nervous of smaller spaces. I've moved the baby gate so it is on the kitchen and she sleeps and plays in there when we are not around - she seems happy enough. We also cover the baby gate in a blanket so she cant see them but they can all sniff and hear each other. Seems to be working so tonight I might leave the blanket off.

Both cats are becoming more curious of her, however she does tend to get excited and ruin the moment. For example she was asleep next to my partner and I on Sunday night and Frankenstein came to cuddle me like normal. He watched her but wasn't bothered. She woke up and spotted him, sniffed for a good few minutes but then yapped and he ran.

However, today she has hopefully learnt her lesson. She crept upstairs following my partner and encountered Trixie. Trixie has been the more frightened of the two cats so my partner kept a close eye on them but didn't interfere. Both Eddie and Trixie watched each other for a minute but then Eddie lost her cool and yapped. Trixie flew at her and smacked her nose! Eddie started crying and ran over to my partner who ignored her. She then followed my partner around looking sorry for herself...whilst Trixie stalked her. Trixie waited for the right moment then ran up and smacked Eddie's butt  :rofl:

We're still a long way off. Eddie does have to learn some manners, not just about being around cats. However in less than a week we are already seeing improvements. I'd like to think one day I'll have a cute picture of them all cuddled up but I will be happy with them all being in the same room without any drama!

Sue P (Paddysmum):

Am firmly with Liz in recommending crate training especially where you have a dog which has excitable breed traits.  The cats need to know that they have the ability to check out the "dog experience" safely, and they can do that when Eddie is having time out in her own safe place.

The way I would compare their view of Eddie's appearance is Similarar to how we'd feel if our partner moved in a complete stranger.  However "enthusiastic" and sweet that stranger was, you'd feel put out, baffled and wary.  How do you know they're not going to be a major PITA??  (You don't).  Until 2012 we always had a dog and cat household, and I know it works very well, but I really would counsel against "letting them fight it out".  Introductions and home sharing needs to respect the. Needs of all of the family members.

Got any piccies?   ;D

Desley (booktigger):
I'd use either your last or Liz's idea, you need them to feel be comfortable with the litter tray or you could be creating issues for life. You may need to temporarily out it up there though

Liz:
I would recommend crate training making it her safe place, we have 3 Border Collies who all came is as puppies to the Clan, bearing in mind they live with 50 cats of varying sorts, bengals, NFC - terrifies the dogs, Mau's a Ragdoll and lots of moggies and ferals

Mine all sleep in their crates at night, we feed them in their crates as well, it means you can close the door should the dog become a tad excited, I have 3 extra large dog crates in my lounge and all have cat beds on top of them and are their safe place in fact my youngest won't eat a treat unless we close his door so the cats can't steal it :)

Misa:
SORRY NO NOTHING ABOUT DOGS BUT YOUR LAST IDEA SOUNDS GOOD

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version