Author Topic: Gargling Meow? any ideas  (Read 3267 times)

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
Re: Gargling Meow? any ideas
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2011, 12:51:31 PM »
Earplugs - a definite definite.

Get the nice soft ones from Boots or buy some heroes earplugs from Amazon - 50p a pair is a small price to pay for a good night's sleep.

They might take a bit of getting used to, but well worth it.

It sounds callous but your health is as important as hers, and eventually she will realise that your not listenin'. :sneaky:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 23:00:09 PM »
I think we just need to keep her awake and on our timeframe. hard to do when you're out of the house between 7.30 and 5 but we'll try and keep her awake in the evening.

I think that sounds like a plan, you might feel bad at first but when she starts waking you up at the crack of dawn it will feel more like Karma  :evillaugh:

Helen, (tiggy's mum :P) da'bird looks like a lot of fun! do you need much room to use it in? whats the difference between the 18" and 36" other than the obvious. is one better than the other?

To answer your Da Bird questions, I nearly always play with it indoors - 99.9% of the time. The bigger the room the better but my old house had a fairly small front room and that's where those pics were taken. As long as you move anything breakable it'll be fine  :evillaugh:

After I posted on this thread about Da Bird it inspired me to get it out  and I took a video today of my (non yowling cat) doing a few leaps in the garden for Da Bird - first time I've played with it out there in a couple of years but it was a nice evening so thought why not! Now this cat (Lucas) is veeeeeeery sedentary, unlike his brother who yeowls and leaps all over the place - if you met him you'd think he was an old cat (they're only 4) as he's nowhere near as active as his brother.

Anyway, this is him... (you need to tilt your head to the left as can't figure out how to rotate it!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BaCM-Kxnnc

The 18" rod consists of 2 x 18" rods that fit together so it's easier to store. I have to wrap a teeny bit of kitchen roll round the pole to get it to stay together as when they catch Da Bird (or Da mouse) they do some serious tugging - see my other video taken today which is of Da Mouse. The 36" pole is one long pole, I don't have one of those but I think that's probably the best type as there's no chance of it being pulled apart with rough play. That said I've coped just fine with a two part rod which I bought before they started makingthe one part rods.

Riley playing with Da Mouse today - *WARNING* disturbing close up image of his face at the end  :evillaugh:

(you need to tilt your head to the left as can't figure out how to rotate it!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKiC4uMhfy4

Offline Chard

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Missy
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 22:32:44 PM »
Thanks for your replies! if Missy starts yammering again tonight ill record it and see if some cat behaviorist can tell me how crazy my new cat is!

The local branch of cats protection league dont have a cattery but have foster owners that look after the cats, in our case Missy was in a fairly large outbuilding, to begin with with her 2 kittens but then on her own once they were re-homed.

I think we just need to keep her awake and on our timeframe. hard to do when you're out of the house between 7.30 and 5 but we'll try and keep her awake in the evening.

Helen, (tiggy's mum :P) da'bird looks like a lot of fun! do you need much room to use it in? whats the difference between the 18" and 36" other than the obvious. is one better than the other?

Thanks

Chard

Offline thekittensmittens

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Miyagi , Georgia, Pacey & Little Mo RIP....also 10 lovebirds and rainbow the rosella! Rip Cookie & Sunny my beautifull cockatiels
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 18:11:42 PM »
our georgia kitty used to do that, since we got a new kitten they both play happily. (not saying run out and get another cat btw) from the cats point of view it must have been odd at a rescue as they are usually penned at night ...now she has the run of a house with no other cat noises. maybe your cat would feel more secure put to bed in a small room/ bathroom at night perhaps?
mine dont normally settle till late so i let them run up and downstairsetc  then put them to bed when i go to sleep :shy:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 14:54:27 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs

One of mine does that, I sympathise as it's very annoying! He does it when I'm downstairs and he's upstairs so I used to think he was wailing for me to come and give him attention, I call his name and he comes sprinting downstairs, has a quick stroke but then wanders off and repeats the yeowling!

The only thing I can suggest is trying to tire her out before bed so she will hopefully sleep rather than prowl and yeowl. There's a toy called 'Da Bird' which is imported from the US and is amazing, it should have her leaping around and hopefully tire her out. The cheapest place to get it is actually the Purrs shop (logo top right), just had a look and stock is due in from the US in a few days.

Here's a couple of pics of my boys (the yowly one is in the air!) playing with it

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,36848.msg653455.html#msg653455

Edit: I need to take my own advice and start playing with him before bed rather than just telling him to be quiet  :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 15:02:24 PM by Tiggy's Mum - Helen »

Offline Chard

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Missy
Gargling Meow? any ideas
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 13:19:16 PM »
Me and my OH have just re-homed a rescue cat (5 years old approx) and when we go to bed she meows constantly, a gurgling kind of meow.

We have to keep her in for the first few weeks so that she knows that this is her new home, so it could be that she wants letting out. other than that i don't know what it could be, she has food and water and she can come onto the bed for attention but nothing seems to interest her. she just walks all round the house meowing and meowing!

Any help or advice would be much appreciated as we are both pretty sleep deprived!

If it happens tonight im going to record it!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 13:19:58 PM by Chard »

Link to CatChat