Author Topic: Wishes for Rosie please  (Read 54675 times)

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
Re: Wishes for Rosie please
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2008, 19:45:47 PM »
Des everyone knows that you will do the best by Rosie.  She is a lucky little girl to have you.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2008, 19:29:58 PM »
By not happy here, I mean she lives in the bathroom and doesn't like seeing the other cats, she does seem content in the bathroom though. She has had a good day today, although I gave her senior food for her tea, she was much happier with her normal food, although it was beef flavour and only 2 of the 5 have eaten all up.
Stage 3 is between 76 and 90% of kidney function lost, although she is literally only just in it.
PAv - I am not considering pts while she has a good appetite. is eating well and responsive, it will be when things get worse that I will have to rethink. Her owners described her as an independent cat who you barely saw, she is happy to sit on my knee, and I have taken her into the cat room the past two nights to save my legs, and she has settled on my knee and only moved cos I have made her - I had to get up twice while i was with her last night, and she happily came back on my knee, so at least she is different in a good way.
Please spay your cat

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2008, 18:46:26 PM »
Me too Des.  :hug:

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2008, 18:20:58 PM »
Whatever you choose Des i know it will be for her, afterall you and your vet know her best  :hug:

Well, I would concur with that  :hug:  All the best for Rosie.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2008, 18:13:15 PM »
Whatever you choose Des i know it will be for her, afterall you and your vet know her best  :hug:

Offline candyshandy

• Senior Cat
  • Sol, Fabian and Foofoo
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2008, 18:04:16 PM »
Perhaps a chat with Elaine would help too Des.  She has been really helpful with me re Fabes.

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2008, 17:52:10 PM »
Sending positive vibes for Rosie and Hugs for you Desley. xxx
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2008, 17:47:48 PM »
but I am not going to go down that route - not only because she hated the antibiotics she was given, but mainly because she isn't happy here with the other cats, so I dont feel buying her time is the right thing to do for her.

Des has already stated in her previous post that she isn't happy so I still stick to my opinions.

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2008, 17:37:06 PM »
That is the daft part Dawn, she has lived with other cats for the past 18 months. She is different to how her owners described her though. so I do wonder. AT the moment, she isn't miserable, she is eating well, and enjoying sitting on my knee having fusses, we had a lovely hour before with her sleeping on my knee and being groomed. I have just been reading the feline crf site, and 2 of her high values might indicate other things as well as kidneys, her cholesterol and globulin are also high, and I also need to ask if her liver values were near the high end of normal before i make any decision.
Desley, if the owner described her different may be she needs more time in your place to get use to new cats, the main thing is she is happy and content to be in the bathroom and if she is eating well and spend time with you then why even considering PTS?! Rosie is not suffering and might have months before she start going down hill. I really think its best to let her live her life now and when the time comes that she is not well then you make decision. Well thats my opinion.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2008, 16:51:53 PM »
Can I ask how far advanced is stage 3?  :-:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2008, 16:47:09 PM »
As for not liking meds. Clapton hates meds and fights if I try to give them manually. I have found after a long struggle that the only way to administer is wrapped in chicken skin so he doesn't notice. I buy chicken thighs & drumsticks and he gets 1/2 every day. I freeze the extra ones and defrost them. It's a pain but it's what I need to do to keep him healthy. I do agree that if there isn't someone prepared to offer the best possible chance, it would probably be kinder to PTS now instead of a slow decline and months of increasing sickness and discomfort  :(
« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 16:47:51 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2008, 16:41:51 PM »
Ive read so many times on this site about our babes that put up a fight to get their meds down....that in itself can lead to depression....

I really dont think moving her at this stage would bring any benefit only added stress as she is a shy girl!

If she can't be medicated, that is totally different.  I have that problem with some of my ferals, if they ever got seriously ill and I couldn't get meds into them, Sean would advise pts and I hate to say but I would agree with him.  I couldn't sit there and watch a cat get worse and worse, and then think I was doing my best for them, sometimes for the sake of their well being, a decision has to be made.  If they have a decent quality of life and it's a case of waiting until that diminishes fair enough, but with any animal welfare, emotional well being comes into play as well.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2008, 16:34:30 PM »
That is the daft part Dawn, she has lived with other cats for the past 18 months.

That still doesn't mean she will like them.  Holly I'd had for approx 3 years, she came in with Cleo but from day one it was obvious she did not like other cats.  She always tolerated them and appeared happy, but I rehomed her a couple of months ago and the difference in her is fantastic.   She was chilled out from the start and yet I thought because she had been with me so long, she wouldn't handle it well, it's amazing what difference the right environment makes.  I really hope you can sort something out for this little girl, and by that I mean getting her into a cat free environment.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 16:34:58 PM by Dawn (DiddyDawn) »

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2008, 16:27:53 PM »
That is the daft part Dawn, she has lived with other cats for the past 18 months. She is different to how her owners described her though. so I do wonder. AT the moment, she isn't miserable, she is eating well, and enjoying sitting on my knee having fusses, we had a lovely hour before with her sleeping on my knee and being groomed. I have just been reading the feline crf site, and 2 of her high values might indicate other things as well as kidneys, her cholesterol and globulin are also high, and I also need to ask if her liver values were near the high end of normal before i make any decision.
Please spay your cat

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2008, 16:23:57 PM »
It sounds like Rosie hasn't handled the move well because she doesn't like other cats which will also be detrimental on her health.  I will be hated for saying this but if she can't be rehomed, maybe it's kinder to have her put her sleep and put out of her misery.  What is the point in waiting for her to get to that point if she's miserable anyway, I really can't see the sense in it.  I know a life is a life but at what cost  :shy:  But I would still try finding her a home, maybe a special appeal like Ela has suggested, you really don't know how she's going to react until you give it a whirl.  I've had cats in that have have not liked other cats, and on rehoming them, they have thrived and the difference is virtually immediate. 
« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 16:28:20 PM by Dawn (DiddyDawn) »

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2008, 15:00:46 PM »
I've just picked up Fabes and he is now on the RC renal food and apparently loves it

You are lucky we get and hear about  so many cats who do not like the 'special food'
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline candyshandy

• Senior Cat
  • Sol, Fabian and Foofoo
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2008, 14:06:55 PM »
Its very difficult but perhaps it would be a good idea to advertise for an experienced local home where she may respond well to some one to one attention with no other cats to unsettle her.  You may never get an enquiry but you never know....

In the meantime I would definitely give the diet food a go as a minimum.

I've just picked up Fabes and he is now on the RC renal food and apparently loves it :-:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2008, 12:07:42 PM »
I have to agree with Des here! Sorry DD and Ela

You don't have to apologise. we are all very different and do things differently. I just like to know that I have done everything possible to ensure a long, quality  life  and explore and try every avenue before I give up. We take in a number of cats with CRF each year, some we are told have a very limited amount of time left, we get them on medication and most go on to have a quality longer than expected life. Each cat is an individual and there can be no set life-span for a cat in CRF. It depends on how well the cat responds to treatment and treatment varies with each cat. 

« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 12:36:52 PM by Ela »

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2008, 12:05:27 PM »
Thanks for the support Ruth, it hasn't been an easy week with suspecting this and then getting the confirmation. Apart from the fact I can't get her to leave the bathroom, she does seem quite content in there, and as you know, I had doubts about rehoming her before this diagnosis as she had struggled with the move - she had been with her owners from a kitten, poor baby. If the vet recommends prescription food tomorrow when I speak to her, it will be done.
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2008, 12:02:41 PM »
When we have cats like this we make a special appeal. Some people like to take  on a challenge cat and care for a little one in its twilight years.  Off course we would always pay vet fees. Even if a cat did not like taking medication it would be no reason for us not to give it and ensure that little one had every chance. I know loads pf people  who manage even the 'they who must be obeyed type of cats' without a fight.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 12:28:04 PM by Ela »

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2008, 12:01:40 PM »
I have to agree with Des here! Sorry DD and Ela!  :P ;)

She may actually prefer the bathroom as apart from not liking the other cats it is her way of "getting under the bed" as they do when cats are ill!

Ive read so many times on this site about our babes that put up a fight to get their meds down....that in itself can lead to depression....

I really dont think moving her at this stage would bring any benefit only added stress as she is a shy girl!

Dont get me wrong if things are/were caught early enough then yes by all means find her a different home!

My Gnarla (RIP) was 15 and the wrong side of cancer when we met.....she was deaf and deplored the other cats in my house....but boy did she have grace!  ;)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2008, 10:17:09 AM »
It was actually the vet nurse who recommended not rehoming her, as I did ask their advice, and I will be speaking to my vet this week. i had thought of the stress on her, as she hasn't tolerated the move here all that well, as it could make her existing kidney issues worse, but the vet nurse said that it wasn't fair on a new owner. Fortekor might not be an option as she hated 3 days worth of antibiotics. The other thing I had to think of was the fact she was already on the rehoming page (only taken off yesterday), and had been for a while with no interest, we have a number of cats in who need to be only cats, and are struggling, as the majority of people who contact us have another cat, if cats years younger than her have been waiting a lot longer, what chance do we have?

One other thing is that if I had gotten this diagnosis yesterday for Molly, I would be doing pretty much the same, the only thing I could do wiht Molly is try the food, but fluids and meds would be a no go for Molly as well. The main difference is that Molly is happy here, whereas Rosie isn't, so the decision is being made for her, if we can't rehome her, and she isn't happy here, I am not buying her time for the right reasons. She does only have one symptom at the moment, which is her saving grace.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 11:04:30 AM by Desley (booktigger) »
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2008, 09:01:01 AM »
Sorry Desley but I agree with Dawn 100%.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2008, 00:45:07 AM »
Sorry to hear about poor Rosie.  In this situation and you will not agree with me but I would find her a home where she is on her own.  It's a risk you would have to take with her health being what it is, but if she isn't happy with you and you are not going to give her treatment, I think this would be the kindest thing for her.  New owners may be prepared to try her on Fortekor as Mark has suggested and she will have the added bonus that she may be happy elsewhere, which in itself can prolong her life.  I think you owe it to her to give her a chance and to improve her quality of life however long she has.  I'm not having a go at you but her mental well being is just as important as her general health.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 00:56:55 AM by Dawn (DiddyDawn) »

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2008, 19:49:47 PM »
Thanks.
Please spay your cat

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2008, 19:48:52 PM »
Fuss to Rosie and hugs to you Desley. You do an amazing job.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2008, 18:20:21 PM »
The vets were busy today, so I have to ring this week if I want to speak to a vet, but I am not going to go down that route - not only because she hated the antibiotics she was given, but mainly because she isn't happy here with the other cats, so I dont feel buying her time is the right thing to do for her. And she has a really good appetite at the moment, so that side isn't a concern, her only symptom at the moment is drinking.
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2008, 18:15:59 PM »
Has the vet precribed Fortekor?. I may buy time but it buys quality time. Clapton went from Miserable with little or no appetite to a healthy cat who enjoys his food and snoozes. AFAIK, he isn't uncomfortable at all.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2008, 17:36:05 PM »
Ruth, I gave her a hug and a kiss from you.
Pav, I am not going to go down that route, as I dont feel buying her time is in her interests, so i would prefer to spoil her with nice yummy food.
Thanks C, i will spoil her, and fortunately, she does seem happy in the bathroom!! there is a chance that if she had had bloods done before moving they would have just shown her to be the high end of normal, and it is the move that has brought it on, as her levels aren't tremendously bad, the vet nurse has seen a lot worse. Or, they might not have known about the possibility of kidney issues, she could have been doing a lot of her drinking outside, and she didn't toilet in the house, so they would never have noticed the excessive weeing either.
Please spay your cat

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2008, 17:33:05 PM »
I am so sorry to hear this, Desley, and can really understand your frustration over the lack of tests previously.  Well, you will make the best of things for Rosie, we all know that  :hug:

Give her an ear tug (or whatever she likes most) from me.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline claws n purrs

• Adult Cat
  • Ronnie, Freya, Olly and Mickey!
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2008, 16:42:24 PM »
Big :care:  to Rosie and to you as well Desley :hug:

Dee x
Life is life -  there is no difference between a cat or a man.  The idea of difference is a human conception for man's own advantage.  ~Sri Aurobindo

"I purr, therefore I am."

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2008, 12:34:32 PM »
Oh no poor Rosie :( Does she need to have special diet ?

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2008, 11:42:19 AM »
Thanks C, I hope so too.
Please spay your cat

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2008, 11:41:37 AM »
Oh I am so sorry I hope she gets some time I know you will care for her Des. :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2008, 11:25:20 AM »
It is, but she is showing an interest in food, and perky, so it coud be a lot worse. I will do. I hope we get some decent weather, so I can take her outside from some fresh air.
Please spay your cat

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 11:21:58 AM »
 :'( :'( :'( This is so sad!  :hug: :hug: :hug: and please give Rosie a big  :hug: too!  :(

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 11:18:10 AM »
i know, I have amended due to that.

Sadly, it means 'gulp' Ruth, even if we had somewhere that didn't have other cats, the stress of another move could tip her over.
Please spay your cat

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 11:16:00 AM »
Oh no poor Rosie.....you did suspect though Des!  :(

When you say short term palliative care does that mean she will be going elsewhere afterwards or does that mean "gulp"?  :hug: :hug: :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Wishes for Rosie please
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 11:08:13 AM »
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,13493.0.html

Here is the background, and we have just got back from the vets - her blood results show that she has kidney failure. It isn't the worst they have seen (I will post results later), but i will just be providing short term palliative care, as she isn't truly happy here, but she is eating well, so while she is eating, and no signs of vomiting, and looking perky, so she will be spoilt.

I hate being right at times, and am annoyed with her owners, they thought she was perfectly healthy, and if they had had her tested (or I had thought to get them to do it), she wouldnt have had to go through the stress of being moved, and put up with not being happy, and could have gone with people that she knew and loved.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 11:15:41 AM by Desley (booktigger) »
Please spay your cat

Link to CatChat