Author Topic: Penguin peeing again  (Read 3198 times)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Penguin peeing again
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 11:24:15 AM »
must admit I usually follow with a tea cup!

Offline Beth

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 11:22:47 AM »
Oooh, that sounds like a good start, possibly a stupid question, but how do you get a urine sample from a cat?  :shify: I had to get one from my Lucy dog once and that was fun enough, chasing her 'round the garden with a tray to slide underneath her.  :rofl:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 09:28:49 AM »
Yes good idea Desley. I think I was charged less than a fiver by our vets for testing a urine sample.  I am however a frequent visitor and our vets seem to be very reasonable as regards charges.... well compared to some charges mentioned on here.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 08:19:26 AM »
I would see if the vets will let you take up a urine sample at first. Might be worth trying something like Cystaid (doesn't need a prescription), as it soothes the lining of the bladder, and is good with stress related cystitis.
Please spay your cat

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 17:53:51 PM »
I think the jury is out on how quickly zylkene takes effect if at all (my lot seem to chill out on it but whether it was that or feliway or both or just time that stopped the peeing probs, I can't really be sure) See Susanne's current thread...

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,31367.0.html

I always ring the vets and have a good chat with a VN if I'm unsure whether vet needs to see them.  You can buy zylkene online much cheaper than vets, feliway likewise of course.  Again I think Susanne currently has another thread on the go concerning cheapest zylkenen online. Ah here it is ....

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,31279.msg562514.html#msg562514

Sorry to hear about tumble dryer  :(

Offline Beth

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 15:31:49 PM »
Does Penguin get on with Jarvis?

Have you tried Zylkene capsules sprinkled on her food and refreshed the feliway plug ins?  Ask vets if worth a try.

Meanwhile have you got something you could protect sofa with to stop the urine soaking through.  I ended up getting mattress protectors for the beds and would go as far as covering sofa with plastic bags and throws whilst you try and get to grips with what is causing this.

Trying to rule out health probs is most important though as Dawn says.

I do feel for you as have been thorough similar problems  :hug:

Penguin is probably the most confident of all of them with Jarvis, she has just now strutted past him about a foot away, and neither paid each other any attention, though he's massive for a cocker and pretty bouncy :innocent: so despite being friendly towards them he does make them jump sometimes. My other dog Lucy is pretty much perfect with the cats. The last few months all of the animals have been getting on better than ever (cats actually spending time in the lounge snuggled on the sofa with me at the same time as both dogs :Luv2:) which is why this is so infuriating now. I haven't tried Zylkene, though it sounds like it could well be worth a try. How long does it usually take to have an effect?

I've covered under the seat cushions with plastic bags to try and keep things as easy to clean as possible, the actual sofa covers are leather thankfully, so not as bad as it could be, but my tumble drier died this winter so keeping a clean and dry throw is proving near impossible.

I'll try to get her booked in at the vets this week, awful bloody timing though car MOT just cost me hundreds and still hundreds more worth of work that needs doing. :doh: Still, can't be helped i s'pose. :innocent:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 14:00:45 PM »
Does Penguin get on with Jarvis?

Have you tried Zylkene capsules sprinkled on her food and refreshed the feliway plug ins?  Ask vets if worth a try.

Meanwhile have you got something you could protect sofa with to stop the urine soaking through.  I ended up getting mattress protectors for the beds and would go as far as covering sofa with plastic bags and throws whilst you try and get to grips with what is causing this.

Trying to rule out health probs is most important though as Dawn says.

I do feel for you as have been thorough similar problems  :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 13:31:43 PM »
I'm honestly not trying to scare you but its just that with my friend the arrival of a new cat on the block was at the same time as the marking started - unfortunately everyone just assumed that was the cause and a feliway plug in went in - sadly by the time the real reason was discovered it was too late - really not trying to worry you but it was so upsetting for my friend and I'd hate for someone else to go through the same

Offline Beth

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 13:21:10 PM »
have you been to a vet - not trying to alarm you but a friend of mine had a problem like this which was put down to behaviour and turned out to be bladder cancer - I'm not suggesting that is the case but its always worth checking

Not specifically about this, as it first started after the fosters arrived i knew it was down to that, she was there for boosters a couple of weeks ago but i forgot to mention the marking as it was just on the dog bed then... I'll give them a ring and have a chat with them.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 13:17:00 PM »
have you been to a vet - not trying to alarm you but a friend of mine had a problem like this which was put down to behaviour and turned out to be bladder cancer - I'm not suggesting that is the case but its always worth checking

Offline Beth

• Distinguished Cat
Penguin peeing again
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 13:10:00 PM »
I posted last year about Penguin peeing around the house, i know it was triggered by her being stressed by the fosters arriving. With a lot of time, patience, feliway and extra litter trays i thought we'd gotten it sorted, however i got Jarvis (dog) a new bed a few months ago, which she began marking. :tired: Despite being irritating and causing more cleaning i didn't really need, this wasn't too much of a problem, as it is at least washable, but she's now started on the sofas again. :'( I'm totally at the end of my tether now, and i really think i might have to re-home her. :'( Before it was something i could sort of deal with as i knew the change of the fosters was the trigger, and that it was likely to improve, this time however, there's nothing different which could have stressed her out which makes me think it could just be living with the other animals that she's not happy about, or just a bad habit she can't stop. :(

It's gotten to the point where i'm getting really stressed, i'm spending all  :censored: day cleaning the sofa, throws, etc, and the house still smells of cat wee... i can't invite friends over to bring their kids 'round to play with my son as i'm embarrassed about it. :-[

I am gutted to even be considering re-homing her.. i adore my animals and am not someone who would consider re-homing as an easy option, but i don't know what else i can do... if she's not happy here then it's probably the best thing for her. :scared: But then part of me worries that anyone would even want to take on a cat known to have toileting issues like this. :scared: Am just totally fed up and no idea what to do next. :tired: :'(

Link to CatChat