Author Topic: Question about zylkene  (Read 3528 times)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Re: Question about zylkene
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 08:33:05 AM »
Sorry Susanne.  I've forgotten why you are going to try it with Jaffa?

Spraying, mainly to do with disruption following my flood and lots of workmen traipsing in and out of the flat.  Plus he has a tendency to be a slightly anxious cat and has had a couple of bouts of idiopathic cystitis over the past couple of years.

I gave him one capsule this morning with his breakfast.

Offline YogiDot

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Yogi, Daisy, Skye, Tiggy, Sally & Charlie
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 22:50:25 PM »
I use this with Skye as she is sometimes so nervous she overgrooms.  It took a while to kick in but does seem to help her a lot. 

Once I had to stop her dose for a little while but then put her back on again, the second time round I could see the difference within 48 hours.

When I transported the cats on a 3 hour train ride they had been on zylkene for about 10 days before hand, they all travelled really well, even Yogi, who usually yells his head off when he is in his carrier.

I did have Skye checked at the vets before I started her on Zylkene and discussed it with him.

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 14:29:33 PM »
I used it when I went to NZ to help them settle and not get too stressed out wiht me leaving. As I wasn't there I can't tell you if it made a difference! I certainly noticed no difference in the run up to leaving when I first started giving them it but then they are both incredibly laid back cats for the most part anyway.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 13:39:27 PM »
Sorry Susanne.  I've forgotten why you are going to try it with Jaffa?

I've tried it with all of ours except Noni but in particular Freddie (peeing probs) and Millie (peeing probs after stuck all night on roof).  I can't believe I'm the only one that notices a difference within a few hours in that they get a bit dozy/chilled out.  That's why I thought it was esp good for fireworks night or trip to vet for nervous puds.  I thought the reason 2 to 4 weeks "treatment" is suggested is to give cats time to unlearn any unwelcome behaviour e.g peeing problems.  

I often jokingly refer to drugging my cats when talking about Zylkene but everything I've read about it says it's safe.  I've only used 1 capsule a day per cat.

Happily (touch wood) they all seem to be getting on a great deal better now.  Still can't seem to fully shift smell of cat pee from wooden floor boards though  :(

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 13:27:42 PM »
We have had good results on 2 capules a day per cat sprinkled on wet food usually have nicer ferals in 14 dys, also combined with feliway and lots of catnip!

Is working wonders on my 2 traumatised kids Wispa and Fudge - both now a lot happier after nearly 3 weeks
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 13:12:18 PM »
It didnt work for me when BB and Lacie werent getting on, but if its going to work, they do so you need at least 2 weeks. I used it for over a month for both of them. I didnt notice any difference in them, good or bad! Like Kate said, its just a food supplement, based on milk protein, not a drug. Hope it works for Jaffa.  :hug:

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 13:07:32 PM »
It does take a few days to work like MM says.

We've never seen any side effects with it and Jess has been on it almost 2 years.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 11:45:12 AM »
I remember that it took a while to start working, eg 2 weeks. I didn't notice any side effects. It's a food supplement really, not a drug. HTH.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Question about zylkene
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 11:00:21 AM »
For those who use this - is it the kind of thing you can give occasionally and it will work straight away, or do you have to give it every day for a while before it starts working?  Has anyone experienced any side effects with it?  They're teasing me no end at work about drugging my cat  ;D

I have just received my trial samples but I've not given any to Jaffa yet.

Link to CatChat