Author Topic: Found a lump on Alice! - Update - just a cyst :-)  (Read 7899 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: Found a lump on Alice! - Update - just a cyst :-)
« Reply #76 on: December 23, 2009, 16:21:05 PM »
Thanks  :)

I just realised that I updated the wrong thread - it is the cyst on her chin that I need to lance  :shy: . The vet gave me a sealed, sterile lancing needle. I haven't managed to do it yet as it is pointless stressing her - I just need her to be sleeping at the right angle to get to it  :evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #75 on: December 23, 2009, 14:42:40 PM »
Good luck with this!  :hug: :hug:

Indeed.  Let us know how you get on.  I suppose it'll be OK provided you keep your nerve, as it won't hurt Alice  :hug:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #74 on: December 23, 2009, 14:36:17 PM »
Good luck with this!  :hug: :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #73 on: December 22, 2009, 23:17:19 PM »
As the vet predicted, the cyst has filled up again so I will have to lance it myself  :scared: - he showed me what to do so I will wait until she is zonked out next to me with her head back.

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #72 on: February 28, 2009, 10:48:49 AM »
Hope they can sort this out Mark, poor Willow  :hug:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #71 on: February 28, 2009, 10:43:22 AM »
Willow is still coughing here and there so she is booked in for next Friday (but phone if she gets any worse) to have repeat bloods, chest x-rays and her heart measured. It was the only day they could do it where I can drop her off in the morning and hang around for a few hours then pick her up again. Otherwise it would have been a case of dropping her off in the morning and collecting her at 5pm.

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #70 on: February 25, 2009, 10:02:51 AM »
 :evillaugh: awww, she sounds all willing bless her but a little scaredy cat underneath :Luv: 

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #69 on: February 24, 2009, 22:06:37 PM »
The only problem with Willow is she is better than ever and for the last 3 or 4 nights, has gone on jaunts, leaping over the 6ft fence to explore the deserted gravel road and overgrown garden behind ours. There is a side road about 5o yards away but I don't think she will go that far  :scared: - as soon as she sees r hears another cat, she comes screaming back  :evillaugh:

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #68 on: February 24, 2009, 18:51:11 PM »
Sending purrs to Clapton and so pleased about Alice! :D

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #67 on: February 24, 2009, 01:42:59 AM »
Phew! Fab news about Alice's lump!  :)

Now some positive vibes for Sir Clapton~~~~~~~~ :Luv:

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
Re: Found a lump on Alice!
« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2009, 22:31:37 PM »
Im so glad the news was good for Alice :)   your instinct was good but poor old Clapton ,hope hes soon feeling better :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline ChrisB

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Gizmo, Bubbles, Cleo, Daisy and Ellie
« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2009, 21:44:15 PM »
Good news about Alice and hoping Clapton soon feels better.
Unconditional love is hard to find unless you have a cat

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2009, 17:28:07 PM »
I forgot to mention Willow. I told the vet that she has been fine for 4 or 5 days but had a coughing fit yesterday - she said that if there are any more, I need to get her in to have her chest x-rayed and they will measure her heart and check for any weaknesses  :(

Good old Kylie strolled in to see what all the fuss was and rubbed herself up the vets leg  :evillaugh:

Poor Willow, Schui coughs alot when he has colds and they sound quite odd actually, the vet said it was hard to tell whether it was asthma as typically he never did it at the vets! I once taped it and took it down and she said it was part of the condition and chest infection and gave him abs - she thought it was a good idea though  ;D
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 17:29:00 PM by janeyk »

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
  • Mr T and Chloe - We will meet again at the Bridge
  • Slave to: Celyn and Olwyn
« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2009, 17:19:47 PM »
Poor Clapton - Im glad he has been givern something to help him.  And Im very pleased Alices lump isnt anything serious.  i was given a splendid tip for monitoring lumps and bumps on cats (and it works on people, too!)
Take a piece of kitchen paper and hold it over the lump.  (Its easier with two people.)  Draw with a felt tip round the outline of the lump, date it and then put it away somewhere safe.
Then you can do it again in about a months time and see if the lump has grown ....  :)
People Power Works!!!

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #62 on: February 23, 2009, 17:06:07 PM »
Great news for Alice :)  Poor clapton, i hope he start feeling better soon. :hug:

Boy peed all over the vet last time i took him in but it was because the new vet is a guy and he is still terrified of men when they get too close
to him :(

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #61 on: February 23, 2009, 17:00:14 PM »
Good news for Alice.  Poor Clapton - hope the treatments do the trick for him.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2009, 15:58:34 PM »
glad it went well and hope Clapton stops itching asap. Give him a big purr from here.

When Swampy had his lump I was told to only check it about once a week  - if you are like me, you'll check it all the time - as it's not helpful to check every day and you then may actually miss any changes. It does sound like a fatty lump and so it may just stay there like it is now for ages if you don't take it out. Max's 2 lumps are the same size as about 10 years ago. I had the first one he got taken out, but after that the vet said not to bother, just to watch for changes.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2009, 14:17:01 PM »
Awwww, sending Clapton a gentle headrub for being a brave boy today  :Luv2: :Luv2:

Glad your instinct was right on the lump too hun, good news  :hug:

She said she would never tell someone to "just forget" any lump though and to monitor it regularly.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2009, 14:15:57 PM »
I forgot to mention Willow. I told the vet that she has been fine for 4 or 5 days but had a coughing fit yesterday - she said that if there are any more, I need to get her in to have her chest x-rayed and they will measure her heart and check for any weaknesses  :(

Good old Kylie strolled in to see what all the fuss was and rubbed herself up the vets leg  :evillaugh:

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2009, 14:14:55 PM »
Awwww, sending Clapton a gentle headrub for being a brave boy today  :Luv2: :Luv2:

Glad your instinct was right on the lump too hun, good news  :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2009, 14:10:36 PM »
Thanks everyone. I want to take him some food up but he is probably terrified right now. Apparently, the intramuscular jabs are really painful? -
 he didn't make a sound though  :Luv2:
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 14:10:52 PM by Mark »

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2009, 14:03:10 PM »
Good news for Alice  ;D Hope Clapton's allergy clears up ASAP  :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2009, 14:00:02 PM »
Sounds like what Schui has Mark on his paw and we were told just to keep an eye on it but it hasn't grown much more, hope Clapton's skin gets sorted now it's been treated  :hug:
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 14:10:04 PM by janeyk »

Offline Topsy Turvey

• Hero Cat
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2009, 13:58:36 PM »
Glad to hear that its good news for Alice.  :Luv:

Poor Clapton  :'(  My bridge babe Sasha had a flea alergy.  I think she was bitten at the vet when she was in being speyed as I've never had a flea issue with any of my cats.   She came out in the scabs you describe.  The steroid does clear it up nicely.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2009, 13:58:16 PM »
glad Alice is ok, sorry about poor Clapton

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2009, 13:57:32 PM »
So pleased the lump is not anything major  ;D

Poor Clapton  :hug: :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2009, 13:52:54 PM »
The vet has just left. She doesn't think it is anything to worry about but said I should monitor it and if it grows quickly or weeps I should get her in. She said that it seems to be a fatty lump which ordinarily they would leave but given the postition, it might be an idea to remove it as it could affect her walking. So it seems she is in the clear  :)

Clapton on the other hand..........

As he peed all over the place the last time, I put a big, thick bathmat on the dining room table before the vet came. Just as well as he started peeing as soon as he saw the vet - it went all over me & the floor so I held him over the mat until he was done. She said his scabs seem to be some kind of allergic reaction - which is usually fleas. I told her he was flead 2 weeks or so ago. She said with cats that have allergies, one flea bite is enough to set off a chain reaction so they end up covered in sores. She said she has lost count of the cats she has found fleas on whos owners don't flea them as they are house cats. Anyway, she gave him an intramuscular steroid injection which she said should calm things down enough to break the itch-scratch-itch cycle, a convenia jab in case any of the sores are infected and an advocate spot on.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2009, 09:47:25 AM »
Thanks  :) - I thought I would be stressing over the weekend but I haven't something tells me it is just a fatty lump - although obviously a "feeling in my water" isn't a substitute for a vet check  :evillaugh:

Hope you're right - please let us know.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2009, 09:19:12 AM »
Hope all goes well today Mark  :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2009, 02:03:10 AM »
More positive vibes for beautiful Alice.....I do hope its nothing serious!  :hug:

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2009, 23:53:03 PM »
Sending good vibes for Alice from Phoebe, Boy and me, hope it all goes well tomorrow. :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2009, 23:50:37 PM »
:luck: for tomorrow  :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2009, 23:36:37 PM »
Thanks  :)

She has barely stirred today and has stayed in her bed on the window ledge - it is quite warm though. There is a wide ledge behind the sofa - she has 2 beds on the sofa (one heated) and 2 x dog pads on the ledge which she seems to prefer  :Crazy:

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
  • Mr T and Chloe - We will meet again at the Bridge
  • Slave to: Celyn and Olwyn
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2009, 21:01:50 PM »
Hoping all goes well for you and Alice tomorrow - Chloe and Mr T are keeping their paws crossed that its nothing to worry about :)
People Power Works!!!

Offline Topsy Turvey

• Hero Cat
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2009, 19:01:09 PM »
Thanks  :) - I thought I would be stressing over the weekend but I haven't something tells me it is just a fatty lump - although obviously a "feeling in my water" isn't a substitute for a vet check  :evillaugh:

:rofl: :rofl:

Sending good vibes for tomorrow for all of your furries.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2009, 11:17:09 AM »

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2009, 08:22:20 AM »
Best of luck for tomorrow xx

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2009, 08:10:51 AM »
Fingers crossed for Alice tomorrow and hope everything goes okay  :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2009, 11:45:55 AM »
I just got a call - they have an emergency at the surgery so have had to cancel home visits today. She assures me that leaving it until Monday won't make any difference. I couldhave taken Alice in but it would have meant seeing another vet. As all the experienced vets are working on the emergency it sounds like I would have ended up with the vet I don't want so I thught it best to wait. She said if I have any concerns or if there is any swelling or weeping or Alice seems uncomfortable to bring her in but otherwise, the couple of days won't make any difference.

Offline 2d

• Adult Cat
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2009, 11:13:40 AM »
tbh, I don't call a waiting room full of barking dogs exactly comfortable for her. The day a vet opens that keeps dogs away from cats, I will be their first customer.

Fair point.  One time when we went to the vet with Edward the waiting room was full of dogs - and there was a large dog that started barking and pulling at the lead every time he saw another dog, which set off all the dogs in the room.   The woman said to wait outside, but her owner wouldn't because he was cold (the dog was fine).

Poor Ed was terrified.

The next time we took him to an add-on branch - waiting room much bigger, and much quieter.

Hope all goes well.

Link to CatChat