Author Topic: Found a lump on Alice! - Update - just a cyst :-)  (Read 7878 times)

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
Re: Found a lump on Alice!
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2009, 10:37:25 AM »
Mark, give Alice a :care: from me please. I only just caught up with this.

xx

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2009, 00:09:37 AM »
Thanks everyone. Surprisingly, I am staying calm as I just know it will be OK - I just know it  :)
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2009, 23:05:35 PM »
I hope everything goes well for the vets visit tomorrow and will send some calming vibes for you all :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2009, 22:18:14 PM »
I might not be on much tomorrow, so hope the vet visit goes well for all your babes  :hug:  :Luv2:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline ChrisB

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Gizmo, Bubbles, Cleo, Daisy and Ellie
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2009, 21:46:19 PM »
Hope all goes well Mark  :hug:
Unconditional love is hard to find unless you have a cat

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2009, 15:08:17 PM »
That's it Mark get them all seen to  :) and best of luck with those lovely kitties  :hug:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2009, 15:01:06 PM »
I had another feel and although it doesn't move around, it is attached to  the inside of the skin and not the body. Anyway, I explained it to the vet and they are happy to come and see her here. My favourite vet, Caroline is coming  :) (I checked as the other woman vet is too heavy handed ) she can also have a look at Clapton as his skin is quite bad as he has flareups of dermatitis. The last time, she said to leave him be and put a Feliway in his room - at least she can have a look - Caroline has also been treating Willow so she can have a look at her as well  :evillaugh: - well worth the £25 extra  :)

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2009, 11:35:43 AM »
Hope it's justa fatty lump Mark. If you can roll it between your fingers it may well be just that. Max has a couple; he's had them both for years. The vet did a fine needle biopsy and put the stuff on a slide and you could see the fat immediately. I'm not too sure though that all that could be successfully done at home. Good luck!

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2009, 11:20:45 AM »
Fingers crosse it is just a cyst! If it does need furthur investigation , I woul try to get her to the vets if you can. They will have the equipment there to deal with every eventuality  - they cannot bring everything they might need to the house. :hug:

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2009, 09:15:36 AM »
Hope it is just a fatty lump or a cyst, Mark, but you are right to get her checked out.

I agree, a trip to the vets would probably be best, if there is a way of doing this without stressing her out too much  :hug:

Give her a gentle head tickle from me  :Luv2:
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 09:15:53 AM by clarenmax »

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2009, 08:59:10 AM »
Hope all goes well for Alice, either at home or at the surgery, and that it is just a cyst.  Keeping fingers crossed for you both.
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2009, 08:34:16 AM »
good luck for Alice  :hug:

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2009, 08:22:08 AM »
Mark.. when i take my Bella to the vets which isnt one we CP use.. I ask for an appointment where there are no dogs booked in either side of me. In the past they have given me a side room for Bella so not to stress her out.. Not sure AH can do that, but i know for a fact they are loosing customers due to the dogs in reception.. Bartons which is currently being redevlopment is going to have 2 seperate waiting rooms for cats and dogs!! But we all know about Bartons. The vet has it right in the area is Bournes but they are not local, they have space in their waiting room and spare consult room for dogs and cats and also have a one of the few newer practices in the area.

.. Anyhow...hope that helps..
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2009, 08:06:08 AM »
Fingers crossed it is a cyst, but I would try and get an early morning app and pre-starve her, just in case they can do it that day, they did that with Ginger (he had a dental and a fatty lump removed at the same time) - that way if there is a suspicion of it, you aren't wasting time between him seeing her at home and her going in.
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2009, 07:30:17 AM »
The vet estimated between 8 and 10 but going by her teeth, she seems quite a bit older to me - also she is quite old ladyish - she seems a fair bit older than the others. Willow is 10 and the others are 9

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2009, 07:12:51 AM »
Schui has a fatty lump on his left back paw (you should be able to see it on his poorly thread on the photo)  it is about the size of a large pea, never bothers him so the vet just leaves it.  I hope Alice's is something similar, they are common in older cats - how old is she Mark about 9?
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2009, 01:41:16 AM »
Hope its nothing serious Mark .
Smartie has had a lump removed and it was just a fatty lump -Sophie had one removed from her chest and that was nothing either , but now she has another one about the size of a small marble in a different place-you can move it about -but i dont fancy her having this removed too if its nothing , she is almost 15 now.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2009, 00:30:37 AM »
I will still get the vet's view on it first. I don't mind paying for them to come even if they say to bring her in for further investigation. tbh, I don't call a waiting room full of barking dogs exactly comfortable for her. The day a vet opens that keeps dogs away from cats, I will be their first customer.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 00:31:14 AM by Mark »

Offline 2d

• Adult Cat
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2009, 23:44:22 PM »
Yep, take her to where they have everything they need, and the facilities to get everything done with minimal discomfort to her.  And don't take her to a vet you don't trust, even if it's next door.

All of ours hate going to the vet - partularly mags, who I'm sure will hurt himself in the carrier one day - but you don't want to take any chances.

Good luck.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2009, 23:32:38 PM »
Don't take her back to RB, Mark. I can't say much here but just don't...  :shify:

Taking most cats to a vet is stressful, though. For me it's a good 20/25 minutes each way. My Tilly also cries a lot and also ALWAYS messes the carrier and stinks the car out.  :sick: Not something we do lightly... but if you are worried and think it needs checking out then take her to where everything is to hand if needed. She will ultimately forgive you after she's punished you enough.  :evillaugh:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2009, 23:21:37 PM »
Now I am torn - she cries all the way there and back and as you know, it is 5 miles to Herne Bay. Seems crazy when I live next door to a vet, Having said that, I wouldn't want any of mine in there overnight without so much as a light. Strangely, there has been a dog barking and howling all evening and it has suddenly gone quiet in the last 10 minutes.

I suppose I could go back to RB with my tail between my legs (no pun) but even they don't have staff on 24/7 - my friends cat died of kidney failure there in the middle of the night alone.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2009, 23:14:23 PM »
Mark, I would just take her in to the surgery. No way can they cart around all the drugs and paraphernalia they need for a biopsy. Do try not to fiddle with it too much. If it is cancerous, you need to try to avoid cells breaking off and travelling elsewhere.  :doh:

My money is on a cyst. Big hugs to you and Alice.  :Luv: :hug: :hug:

Offline Topsy Turvey

• Hero Cat
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2009, 23:05:21 PM »
Oh dear.  Good luck for Friday Alice and Mark x

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2009, 23:03:31 PM »
she has been through so much and deserves a long and healthy life with you. :hug: :hug:

Thanks Pav  :hug:

Yes she deserves a break. She has really been through the wars so deserves some good health and comfort  :)

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2009, 22:58:50 PM »
Oh Mark, i do hope its a cyst.

I am sure they can come prepared and do the biopsy at home, the vet can always bring a nurse to assist him or her.

Finger crossed for Alice, she has been through so much and deserves a long and healthy life with you. :hug: :hug:

Offline 2d

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2009, 22:47:05 PM »
Oh, really fingers crossed for you both that it isn't the worst - that it's something easily sorted and non-harmful.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 22:24:43 PM »
Thanks

I am thinking of getting a home visit. If they did decide to take a biopsy, would they be able to do it at the house?

When she had her tumour removed, they said they got it all but there was always a possibility - I really hope not  :(
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 22:30:03 PM by Mark »

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 21:52:23 PM »
Oh Mark,  :hug: to you and Alice. Try not to worry to much- you have every reason to believe it's a cyst but the vet will be able to advise you more. I will be thinking about you and Alice o Friday. Do keep us posted.

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 21:48:02 PM »
Try not to panic,as you say its probably a cyst,fingers crossed :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 21:33:05 PM »
Hope it's nothing to worry about  :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 21:27:04 PM »
I had another feel and sure it is a cyst but it does seem to be in the lymph area  :(

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 21:20:03 PM »
Keeping everything crossed that it is only a cyst  :hug:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 21:19:30 PM »
Keep calm, hun.  Moving around is good - resist the temptation to meddle with it  :hug:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 21:16:17 PM »
Fingers crossed that it is a cyst  :Luv2:
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 21:08:08 PM »
I do hope its a cyst  :hug: :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Found a lump on Alice! - Update - just a cyst :-)
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 21:06:01 PM »
I was just giving her a cuddle and trying to encourage her to eat her Salmon  :Crazy:  - I felt a lump in the area above her left front leg (on us would be just above the armpit at the back). She sat up and I can feel it. It isn't huge - maybe the size of a peanut. It seems to move around so I am hoping it is a cyst. The vet did warn us that the cancer could come back. I am trying not to panic as I relly think it is a cyst. I will get her booked in for Friday when I am off (I'm sure another day won't matter?)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 22:50:07 PM by Mark »

Link to CatChat