Author Topic: Diabetic cat looking for new home. (REHOMED)  (Read 15500 times)

Offline hywren

• Adult Cat
Re: Diabetic cat looking for new home. (REHOMED)
« Reply #63 on: March 29, 2009, 21:31:55 PM »
He has not gone just yet, he is still here with me until next Saturday. He is off to the vets for a vaccination and final spot test later this week and then I will be taking him to his new home.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #62 on: March 28, 2009, 23:11:52 PM »
fingers crossed it all went well and Buttons is now in his forever home
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #61 on: March 25, 2009, 20:51:23 PM »
Well done x

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
:yayyy: :yayyy: Buttons is such a cutie. :) Well done for caring for him while his new home was found. :hug:

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
 :cheer: :happy dance: :Party 3: that's wonderful  - I think he's gorgeous and I am so glad you seem to have found the perfect home for him

you must try and persuade his new owners to join Purrs and keep us up to date
Robert A. Heinlein:

Offline hywren

• Adult Cat
Firstly I would like to say a big sorry that I have not been back to this thread sooner and responded to all the messages. I have been busy with work and neglected this thread, sorry.

Secondly though I would like to announce that Buttons has been offered a home!  ;D

I am absolutely thrilled for him. He will be going to a home where they have had a diabetic cat previously and were specifically looking to rehome another one so I know he will be well looked after and understood. The only snag is that it is a long way down south so we will be making our intrepid journey next saturday to his new family.

I would like to say a huge thank you to everyone who has taken an interest in Buttons. It really means a lot to me to know there are people out there that have never even laid eyes on him who are thinking about him and wishing him well.

Wish him luck (and fingers crossed hard that it doesn't fall through....just my paranoia that I hope!)

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Ahhhh. I like her style! ;D

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
I reckon she doesn't want to remind us about him, in case someone offers him a home ;)
Robert A. Heinlein:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
How's Buttons doing, Heather?

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Awww, Trigger - I know what you mean; I've developed a soft spot for Buttons too. :shy: It makes me sad that people seem to be put off by his illness; it can't be anything else because he's gorgeous!

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
Any sign of a new home for Buttons?

I keep finding myself coming back to his photo, as he is so like a male version of my Tiffany (even down to an extra pound or two)

I'm a long way from Derbyshire, and I have never had to look after a cat with medical needs, but I still keep coming for another peek at him ..............  :Luv2:
Robert A. Heinlein:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
For a dedicated cat lady but many people dont want the commitment

:shy: See, when Tobes needed me to give him jabs it didn't occur to me to see it as anything other than one of my family members needing extra care. The only thing that worried me was accidentally hurting him when I gave him his insulin. I miss my little Ginger Avenger. :(

Hope Buttons finds somewhere really soon.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
For a dedicated cat lady but many people dont want the commitment  :( i fit my life round the cats needs so it wouldnt bother me either but my friends think im mad for doing so

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Ahhh, gotcha. That's something that you kind of get used to working around too, in all honesty!

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
I think Trigger means in regards to being there regularly to give the jabs JS, a retirement home would have a constant source of carers whereas someone who works may struggle to fit life around them

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
I'm unsure why the injections would be a problem anywhere after the initial "training." ;) Seriously, it's not as bad as it sounds.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
he'd be ideally suited for a retirement home, where the injections would be no problem
Robert A. Heinlein:

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
So hope this  :Luv: kitty can be rehomed soon

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat

Unfortunatley I have to work on my other half as well as my other half. He is adament that we should not keep Buttons (although as I am sure you have all guessed I would love to).
Oops, I meant to write I have to work on my other half as well as Aoki.....glad you understood what I meant Liz!

It is hard as I foster for a rescue as well and Matthew feels that we already ask a lot of Aoki as we often have other animals here and we integrated Lola 9 months ago, our first permanent dog (ie our first non-foster dog). Aoki is fantastic with kittens or juvenile cats but she does not appreciate adult fosters and I usually keep them separate from her when I have them here. Obviously that is not feasible with Buttons as he has and will be here for a while.

I can understand where Matthew is coming from. You have to take into account a cat emotional well being too, and if he feels Aoki would be unhappy, then that's a fair point. But she doesn't look too concerned in the pictures! ;) I'm still a huge fan of Buttons - I've had a couple of responses about him on the diabetic cat forum, but unfortunately they're in America or Canada!

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
See he is already integrated and after a while hubby will appreciate having another man around - mine watch football with their Dad!!!!! :shocked:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline hywren

• Adult Cat
[quote author=hywren link=topic=22334.msg400442#msg400442 date=1235661545
Unfortunatley I have to work on my other half as well as my other half. He is adament that we should not keep Buttons (although as I am sure you have all guessed I would love to).
[/quote]

Oops, I meant to write I have to work on my other half as well as Aoki.....glad you understood what I meant Liz!

It is hard as I foster for a rescue as well and Matthew feels that we already ask a lot of Aoki as we often have other animals here and we integrated Lola 9 months ago, our first permanent dog (ie our first non-foster dog). Aoki is fantastic with kittens or juvenile cats but she does not appreciate adult fosters and I usually keep them seperate from her when I have them here. Obviously that is not feasible with Buttons as he has and will be here for a while.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
Do as I did, say they are fosters and one day he will notice he has never left - thats why we now have 43 an awful lot of forever foster ferals!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shocked: :innocent: :innocent:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline hywren

• Adult Cat
If Aoki accepts him i bet you end up keeping him!  :evillaugh:

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
lovely photos :Luv:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
what a gorgeous ginger , i love the pale ones  ;D

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat

Go on - you know you like me really :sneaky:

all right then - but no tongues
Robert A. Heinlein:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat

Gosh, that would be a shame..... ;)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
What a gent....he's lovely. I'm still asking around for him. (And wishing there was a way I could take on another cat; sadly not a practical idea.... ;))

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
lovely photos - and he is a real beauty :Luv:
Robert A. Heinlein:

Offline hywren

• Adult Cat
A little photo update on Mr Buttons.

Relations with Aoki my cat are getting much better. She has thawed her frosty ways a little. I have to say he has been nothing but a true gent with her and if she hisses or grumbles or swipes at him he ignores her and looks away.

Here is one with Lola my dog. He loves to rub his head on hers and give her kisses.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
I think travel should only be limited if there's a health reason or the cat is an especially bad traveller/extremely nervous. Buttons looks like neither! But like Gill said, if it's too far from you to homecheck maybe you could ask someone on here to do it.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
I think that yopu have to be sure its the right home for him so if you are travelling a distance you need to get someone to home check for you.

If its really the right home, I dont think 4 hours is too bad unless he is a really bad traveller.

Offline hywren

• Adult Cat
Well, talk about tempting fate! I mentioned a prospective home in my last post and have just heard that they will not in fact be able to offer Buttons a home, so he is still definately looking.

The home interested was in London which has got me thinking about how far I would be able to travel him. It would have been a 4 hour drive from here. What are all your thoughts on travelling him that far? Should I limit how far I would be willing to rehome? Any thoughts welcome

Offline hywren

• Adult Cat
I won't say which rescue as I would not want anyone to think bad of them (I certainly don't).

I would also not feel comfortable with a new owner paying a donation to a charity as they will have a pretty expensive cat moving in with them! :Luv:

I feel so guilty having to rehome him as I would dearly love for him to stay with me so it is a hard process to be going through (sorry...off topic really).

Buttons has had a bit of interest and a possible home has been in touch so please all keep your fingers crossed....at what point in the adoption process should I ask to change the thread title?

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
I can put Buttons on the Blackpool Cats in Care site, will that help? (If Buttons information is on the site he's allowed on the Top Cats - that's right isn't it?)

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Amy, Cpl. Smokey and Lord Chester Red Bear <3
Which rescue's that hun? I'm sure one of the North Derbyshire ones will help you out. Top Cats need to be affiliated with a rescue so if people call the rescue they can find the right details. It might be worth asking anyway so that you get an "official" homecheck and maybe Buttons' new slave could make them a donation in return.
Ashfield and Amber Valley Cats Protection and Cat Chat

http://www.catchat.org/ashfield/cgibin/prtoc.cgi
http://www.ashfieldcats.org.uk
http://www.catchat.org/topcats

True love is rescued. Miss you always Josh and Hope xx

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Well how stupid is that!

Offline hywren

• Adult Cat
Thank you for all your lovely, supportive posts, it is nice to know other people have not found it tying. Also thank you SO much JackSpratt for organising the posters with your cousin  ;D It is really thoughtful of you.

Regarding cat chat he is on the forum but not on anyones page itself. I do volunteer for a rescue (as fosterer and homechecker etc) who have cats at Top Cats (I actually send the forms through!). They have said I can advertise him through their site but if I list him with them I am not allowed to advertise him anywhere else so it would make it rather awkward! They would also not be offering rescue back up or anything just adding him to the site. Its all very confusing.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Buttons is gorgeous  ;D

I have had to learn on Monday how to inject antibiotics into Franta and apart from finding the skin a bit tough, I think they are going well and he is behaving very well.

So if I can do it with one and a half hands and being a bit gentle, then I am sure that most can  ;D

Link to CatChat