Author Topic: Diabetic cat looking for new home. (REHOMED)  (Read 15509 times)

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Amy, Cpl. Smokey and Lord Chester Red Bear <3
Which rescue is she on Cat Chat with? If you can get a rescue to pop her on their page, I can put her on as a Top Cat for you.

I think Ashfield CP might be a little too far out of the area but let me know  ;D
Ashfield and Amber Valley Cats Protection and Cat Chat

http://www.catchat.org/ashfield/cgibin/prtoc.cgi
http://www.ashfieldcats.org.uk
http://www.catchat.org/topcats

True love is rescued. Miss you always Josh and Hope xx

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
have to say its not tying - we had Tiger for 18 months on 2 shots a day and he had us so well trained he waited for his extra meal in the morning and was sitting on the table for me every day and in the evening 7pm on the dot he waitied for his saucer of cheese from his Dad!

Shame we are so far away and have so many in the clan -and we gave 3 dogs to

I'm sure that someone will open their heart to him the gorgeous fluffy ginger ninja :hug:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Oh no, I'm sorry to hear that. Poor Buttons. He's still a babe - I've got my cousin (who's a nurse) to put up posters to see if there are any cat loving medical peeps prepared to give him the home he deserves.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline hywren

• Adult Cat
We have had a bit of a set back with Buttons treatment as he has now gone up to two injections per day following a recent blood test. This has made him a much harder prospect to rehome as he is now much more tying.

He is much happier in himself and seems more active in the last few days though so I think it has been the right decision for him.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
With Tiger we always made sure one of us is at home and we moved the injection slightly if we had a problem - we also have a friend who could have done it for us  but was a little bit scared when I said Tiger - oh your first feral she replied - he had been a bad boy and got her budgie - she did however love him after he apologised!!!

Offline hywren

• Adult Cat
You are right JackSpratt, I am a petsitter and used to visit Buttons before he was diagnosed (I have known him for two years in total) and after his diagnosis to do his jab if his orevious owner was away. Since he has been here with me I have been away on a course for the weekend and was able to arrange for another petsitter to call and inject him. I know many catteries will do it  petsitters but I am aware it will be a consideration for anyone taking him on.

He is not a top cat on cat chat as I thought it was only rescues who were ablle to do that but i will look into it further. Thanks

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
It's one thing asking a neighbour to feed and water your cat but another to ask them to inject insulin?

I don't go away often, but when I did and we had Toby my friend who looked after the house and animals came round a couple of times before we went away to learn how to give him his injection. She even text me every day to confirm his jab had been done. Although I have to say, she loved him quite a lot too as she'd met me when I first got Toby and fallen for him. :Luv: I know not everyone's that lucky, but like you say there's always a way if you're determind enough. And Heather who posted this is her petsitter I think, so obviously is giving Buttons his injections now! Sending Buttons huggggeee fuss. Have you got him put on as a Top Cat on CatChat? Might be a possibility.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Such a beautiful cat   :Luv:and so sad that his owner prefered to pts rather then learn how to do injections :( thank goodness you were able to help him :hug:

I think the biggest problem is for people that go away a lot who are away on business and so can't commit to injections every day. It's one thing asking a neighbour to feed and water your cat but another to ask them to inject insulin? - I'm sure an arrangement could be made with a vet or rescue to deal with this though.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline hywren

• Adult Cat
Thanks for the suggestion Sam, he is already on cat chat.

You are all right it is sad that she could not commit to him however she got him when she bought her house because his previous owners left him behind 4 years ago so she may not have felt the same bond to him that we all feel for our own as she maybe did not intend on having a cat in the first place. Just another sad twist for him I'm afraid!

He is a lovely cat and very friendly. He loves to sleep under the covers on the bed all snuggled up!

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
Such a beautiful cat   :Luv:and so sad that his owner prefered to pts rather then learn how to do injections :( thank goodness you were able to help him :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
Aw bless him. How sad that he owner felt she couldnt give him one daily injection.
The cattery i worked at started taking diabetic cats as i was happy to inject them, its so not hard

Good luck, I am sure there is someone out there that will give buttons a good home....he is very cute (although i dont think he is a BSH)

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
Have you tried posting on http://www.catchat.org/forum.html as well.

Good luck in finding Buttons the special home he needs  :Luv2:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline hywren

• Adult Cat
Thank you so much for posting him on there, it is much appreciated. If there are any other sites I should know about I would be grateful if you could pass them on to me, it has been a steep learning curve having Buttons and I have yet to reach the top of it!

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Have posted him on Your Diabetic Cat which is a site I used when we had Toby. Hope it helps - I've got a serious soft spot for Buttons!

Offline hywren

• Adult Cat
Thank you all for your responses, it is so nice to know there are all these people out there thinking of Buttons!

I have been in touch with the CP with regards to the helpline and he is listed on the Chesterfield branch website thanks to the kindness of Elaine (although he does not have rescue back-up).

I have a poster up at the local hospital thanks to another client who is a nurse, I had not thought of any local diabetes support groups/charity though so I will look into it.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
We had our Little Junkie for around a year or so after diagnosis. Not too many changes were made to diet here either and he actually went into remission for a short time before we lost him to CRF.  :(

He is gorgeous. :Luv:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
CP run a register of folks who have had diabetic cats and have a good homing success rate

We just lost our feral diabetic Tiger just before Christmas, and when he was first diagnosed we were terrified of needles and what it would involve but after a crash course at the vet practicing with water we mastered the art and had no problems and he was on 2 shots a day and had us so well trained.  We didn't change his diet and he had a great 14 months with text book diabetes management until a tumour in his heart robbed us of our darling boy

Its not as scarey as folks think and now we get antibiotic injections and steroids where required from our vet to save the stress on our ferals.

I hope he finds a home as he looks a lovely ginger ninja :hug:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Hi Heather. :) I soooooo wish I could afford to take on another cat when I see Buttons; he's adorable. And the injections don't put me off either because I've had to do it before. Will ask around.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
I phoned a local Diabetes charity last year when we were trying to rehome Charlie. As it turned out, he was homed anyway. My idea was that if they had a noticeboard, people with Diabetes might be more understanding of a diabetic cat's needs and realise that it shouldn't be a death sentence - far from it. Might be worth contacting your local hospital for more info http://www.tamesideandglossop.nhs.uk/templates/Page____1334.aspx
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Just had a thought... I'm sure when rescues on here have been trying to home diabetic cats they have come up with the idea of 'advertising' in the local hospital.  Nurses might not be phased by the thought of giving injections.  Also see if there is a local diabetic group as a person with diabetes would also not be phased by the condition :luck:

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
awww poor boy, he's lovely  :Luv2: very best of luck finding him a loving home xx
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Poor Buttons  :( Can't help here I'm afraid I just wanted to say good on you for taking him in and saving him, several memebers on here manage diabetes in their cats perfectly well and it's absolutely no reason to put him to sleep.

Offline hywren

• Adult Cat
Diabetic cat looking for new home. (REHOMED)
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 09:53:48 AM »
I run a pet sitting business and Buttons was previously owned by one of my clients, 8 weeks ago she sent me a message saying she was having him put to sleep as she could not care for him anymore. He was diagnosed with diabetes in September last year and his old owner found him too tying once he needed daily injections. He was already booked in for the day she got in touch. I have taken him in as a foster and am looking for a new home for him.

I know how hard it will be to find someone due to his condition but I am hopeful (or maybe deluded!)

I am based in Glossop, Derbyshire but am willing to travel to drop Buttons off. I will be undertaking a homecheck for any prospective adopter (I homecheck for two rescues already).

Buttons is 10 years young and I have been told he is a british shorthair cross but I cannot confirm that. He is neutered and will be chipped before he leaves. He is not vaccinated (I am willing to pay for this if new owner wants it done, my vet has said we should wait till he is more settled as he has never been done).

He has one insulin injection per day and is on M/D prescription food. He has the lowest dose possible of the insulin. He is very overweight and the vet is hopeful that with weight loss he may be able to be managed with diet alone. He is steadily losing weight now (was 6.8kg when he arrived and is now just under 6). He is very good to be injected, he hardly seems to notice it happens.

Buttons is a very loving cat who loves to play with his wollen mouse on a string. He is talkative and affectionate. He is good with other cats but my own cat is not friendly and is being aggressive to him. I was told he is terrified of dogs but this is not the case, he doesn't like it when Lola (my dog) is running around or playing boisterously but in general he is fine around her and not scared.

Any help/interest will be appreciated.

Heather

« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 20:50:45 PM by MrsR »

Link to CatChat