Author Topic: Absolutely outraged - words cannot describe this  (Read 17806 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: Absolutely outraged - words cannot describe this
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2008, 08:25:21 AM »
I agree with you Mark.  It is possible to buy cheaper goods that are not made in China if you are prepared to spend a little more time.

I thought not buying Chinese goods meant having trouble buying plastic things but I notice more & more that things are made in Italy, Belgium, Eastern Europe etc. Electrical items can be difficult but I have been very vigilant. My Sony TV was made in Spain - I made a point of not buying Chinese. It wish more people would vote with their wallet.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2008, 13:25:13 PM »
My husband and I boycott China as much as possible.  Wish more people knew all these things and I wish more people cared -very sad.

Offline feebee

• Adult Cat
  • Jack and Fred true cat eccentrics
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2008, 11:29:36 AM »
Any city that takes on the Olympics not only should have a proper Human Rights record but compassion for other species. Someone once said you can vouch for a countries attitude to people by how they treat and have empathy for animals (who was that!)..

Behind you 100%. A country's record should be judged on how it treats those who have no voice to complain.

As for the rabbit fur being cat, I wouldn't buy anything animal fur, I just don't believe in it, and from now on I'm boycotting anything made in China.

>:(

Offline puddypaws

• Hero Cat
  • Mum to Sophie and Oscar
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2008, 11:19:58 AM »
I agree with you Mark.  It is possible to buy cheaper goods that are not made in China if you are prepared to spend a little more time.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2008, 09:56:52 AM »
I hope that anyone who eats cats suffers a painful and lingering death - they deserve it!  >:(

Scum sucking barbarians  >:(

We really have to try our best to not buy anything made in China. Difficult as most cheap consumer goods are made there but if you look, you can find other stuff. I have even found plastic items made in Italy etc. If it's made in China, it goes back on the shelf!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 09:57:20 AM by Mark »

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

ccmacey

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2008, 00:29:42 AM »
If they are scared to catch illnesses from cats, why do they eat them? Not a food source in my mind.

How many of us are ill?

Preaching to deaf ears, I wish they would listen.  >:(

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2008, 20:21:51 PM »
Thought i would also add here.. China being a Superpower have a major influence on what other countries do and speak out against it.. There is a thin line, no body want to get into rows with a country that in essence has a huge part to play in a world economy..

Sad fact about human culture and our global economy...

But hurt the economy and sometimes they listen!

Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Beanie

• Senior Cat
  • Beanie
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2008, 19:34:37 PM »
Hi Sharon,

I couldn't agree more. You will find the actual Mahatma Ghandi quote in the footnote under all my posts. Ghandi stated what I firmly believe as well.
Owning a cat is a lifetime partnership.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mahatma Ghandi

"I am in favour of animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of a whole human being." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2008, 18:57:15 PM »
It was Gandhi Sharon
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 18:57:57 PM by Mark »

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2008, 18:41:39 PM »
Any city that takes on the Olympics not only should have a proper Human Rights record but compassion for other species. Someone once said you can vouch for a countries attitude to people by how they treat and have empathy for animals (who was that!)..

There iis no way in my opinion that China should of hosted the Olympics.. They just dont bother listening to public outcry. A few weeks back i was in the garage waiting for my car to be serviced and the Times had a dreadful photo of a fin whale and calf (newly born) harpooned to death.Greenpeace reckoned it took half an hour for both to die.. it makes me cringe at being a human for our inhumanity to animals... !

Okay Greece was also pretty bad regarding clearing up of the Olympics. But attitudes have now changed their and public opinion means alot to them (and the EU). Whereas China just does what it wants..

You just wouldnt believe how many tigers are snared and shot for the Chinese market. Indeed there are now more Tigers in captitivy then in the wild.. What a terrible thing to happen....! As in my opinion Tigers are a keystone species, if you cannot protect such a lovely animal and save it what chance do we have with smaller less charactermatic but equally important animals.

Its a terrible thought...!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 20:16:37 PM by canterbury_cats »
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
Re: Chinas Olympic Cat Death Camps
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2008, 17:22:16 PM »
No, I shall merge it now, J.  Thanks for posting it: all it takes for evil to win is that good people stay silent.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

cat man do

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2008, 17:22:00 PM »
This has made me sick.

I have now decided never to go to china or eat chinese food ever again.

From the research I have just read. Chinese people who caught SARS caught it from EATING civet cat meat

« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 19:42:56 PM by Ragamuffin »

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2008, 17:04:38 PM »
Alot of chinese "rabbit" fur items are actually cat, its cheaper and they just label it how they wish  >:(

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Amy, Cpl. Smokey and Lord Chester Red Bear <3
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2008, 16:44:08 PM »
At one of our CP meetings there was a letter saying that an awful lot of "rabbit" fur items imported into this country from China are actually cat fur. That made me feel sick. I don't buy rabbit fur stuff anyway as I wonder how it's obtained and I find the feel of it  :sick: but can understand it as a bi-product of the food industry.
Ashfield and Amber Valley Cats Protection and Cat Chat

http://www.catchat.org/ashfield/cgibin/prtoc.cgi
http://www.ashfieldcats.org.uk
http://www.catchat.org/topcats

True love is rescued. Miss you always Josh and Hope xx

Offline Beanie

• Senior Cat
  • Beanie
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2008, 16:22:48 PM »
The Olympic response in this country is outrageous and people like Celia Hammond and others who help at the front end deserve all the support they can get. Please offer her support whether it be financial or practical help.

As for the Chinese, their record on animal welfare and human rights is as bad as it gets. They appear to have a different view regarding pandas but that is born out of pulling the wool over everyone's eyes on animal welfare and the tourist trade and resulting money.

I saw a really nice furry bed the other week in a pet store, which I thought I would get for our guys. It showed 'Made in China'. My first thought was Is this real fur? Thankfully it wasn't or the store owner would have received one very angry salvo followed by bad publicity. The second thought was that I refuse to buy anything 'Made in China' .

PLEASE READ LABELS AND BOYCOTT CHINESE GOODS IF YOU CARE ABOUT ANIMALS.

This country should never be allowed to host the Olympics until it demonstrates completely that it is ready to abandon human and animal right abuses.
Owning a cat is a lifetime partnership.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mahatma Ghandi

"I am in favour of animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of a whole human being." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline J (Indoorcatsuk)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2008, 16:08:15 PM »
Oops, my bad. Please feel to delete my thread :)
A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere. Groucho Marx.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2008, 15:51:34 PM »
There is another topic on this outrage at http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,12883.0.html

It probably makes sense to merge them as they both reference the same Daily Mail article?
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 15:31:30 PM »
our own Olympic cat response left a little to be desired also ...

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 15:30:15 PM »
Sick Sick Sick  - The  country with no heart >:(

I would never go to China and avoid buying anything made there - Sick & Evil   >:(

Allowing China to host the olympics is ridiculous.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 15:34:34 PM by Mark »

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 15:29:42 PM »
Unspeakable.

There is another topic on this senseless inhumanity as well - it probably makes sense to merge them unless someone objects?

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,12884.0.html

« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 15:30:28 PM by Christine (Blip) »

Offline J (Indoorcatsuk)

• Distinguished Cat
Chinas Olympic Cat Death Camps
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 15:09:44 PM »
Thousands of pet cats in Beijing are being abandoned by their owners and sent to die in secretive government pounds as China mounts an aggressive drive to clean up the capital in preparation for the Olympic Games.

Hundreds of cats a day are being rounded and crammed into cages so small they cannot even turn around.

Then they are trucked to what animal welfare groups describe as death camps on the edges of the city.

The cull comes in the wake of a government campaign warning of the diseases cats carry and ordering residents to help clear the streets of them.

Cat owners, terrified by the disease warning, are dumping their pets in the streets to be picked up by special collection teams.

Paranoia is so intense that six stray cats -including two pregnant females - were beaten to death with sticks by teachers at a Beijing kindergarten, who feared they might pass illnesses to the children.

China's leaders are convinced that animals pose a serious urban health risk and may have contributed to the outbreak of SARS - a deadly respiratory virus - in 2003.

But the crackdown on cats is seen by animal campaigners as just one of a number of extreme measures being taken by communist leaders to ensure that its capital appears clean, green and welcoming during the Olympics....

Despite the health warnings, the round-up of cats has led to a surge in the number of restaurants in the capital serving cat meat, according to Ms Hu.

She said hundreds of cats were also being sent to Guangzhou in southern China, an area infamous for restaurants that serve meat from cats and dogs and exotic animals such as snakes and tigers.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/worldnews.html?in_article_id=528694&in_page_id=1811
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 15:10:26 PM by J (Indoorcatsuk) »
A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere. Groucho Marx.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 14:55:42 PM »
Sick.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
Absolutely outraged - words cannot describe this
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 14:51:22 PM »
A friend of mine has just emailed this link - it's from the Daily Mail, a paper that I don't personally read and which some might say have their own view of the world . . . . . but anyway, despite the journalism, the pictures speak for themselves.

** Please do not not look at the link if you are easily upset by animal suffering. **

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/worldnews.html?in_article_id=528694&in_page_id=1811

Whatever anyone's opinions of other cultures, etc, are, cruelty towards humans or animals is simply that - cruelty. I am not really a political person but when I see this sort of suffering as a result of mass hysteria, I am incensed. Be they human or animal, nothing deserves to be treated like this.

I know many of you work in shelters and rescue centres and have no doubt seen cases of cruelty and neglect that you wish you hadn't, but to see these cats like this makes me, at least, appreciate the fact that our particular culture does not openly accept treatment of this sort, and that there are people actively working to put a stop to it.

Link to CatChat