Author Topic: Why does she do this!  (Read 4134 times)

Offline Inky

• Adult Cat
  • Kitties Woody, Taiki and Twyla
Re: Why does she do this!
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2007, 18:32:49 PM »
I suppose a bit like us accidentaly putting a finger through the toilet paper  :sick:  :evillaugh:

I can't recall that ever happening to me, thank goodness!  :sick: But I suppose pooey feet wouldn't suit the average cat (certainly not if they're going to be walking on *my* carpet and shoving those feet in *my* face!!!)

Susanne, my Taiki (boy kitten, the black fella in the pic) does the same as your Jaffa - minimum fuss, he's in and out within seconds.

What does irritate me is the fact that I can't go longer than 5 minutes with a clean tray. I like things to be clean and I like them to *stay* clean for as long as possible, but these two seem intent on plastering their lovely scents all over it as soon as I have it smelling fresh again!

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2007, 08:14:28 AM »
Mosi digs frantically too, and kicks litter all over the place (everywhere except over the poo!).  As I have a covered tray that's not too  much of a problem, but if he uses it when I'm scooping then I 'help' him and give him a gentle pat and tell he doesn't need to do it any more and he gets the message  ;D

Jaffa just jumps in, does what needs doing then jumps out without any covering at all  :shify:

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2007, 01:59:24 AM »
I think all Cat's go a Bit wild when they doo a poo :evillaugh: My two were forever scraping the wall for ages, and I end up
having to bang on the wall or get up and clean the tray, I think I read somewhere that they scrape the wall so they don't
put their paws in it  :evillaugh: I suppose a bit like us accidentaly putting a finger through the toilet paper  :sick:  :evillaugh:

sorry  :sick:  :rofl:

Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline bluecat

• Senior Cat
  • m
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2007, 23:33:16 PM »
Yes mary digs like a coal miner then i swoop in and bag it up while choking  :sick:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2007, 08:18:12 AM »
I have to say I do tell mine to stop, and then remove it for them so if they go back in, there isn't anything for them to cover. NEver had any issues yet
Please spay your cat

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2007, 07:17:45 AM »
What gorgeous little kittens, makes me kitten broody again  :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:

Lukey does the overdigging thing too and have to admit I find it really annoying. Another thing he does is, whenever I scoop the trays he always jumps in while the lid is off, he's such a ferocious digger that there would be no litter left in the tray if I left him unattended so I then have to hold the lid over the tray while he does his business (he always leaves his tail sticking out so I can't put it down properly) and he then spends the next 6 or 7 minutes digging while I wait impatiently with the scoop.

Like Inky I worry about disturbing him as he's such a sensitive little soul that he might be frightened to use the litter tray and start going elsewhere. They've both been perfect litter tray wise from day one but really don't want to risk it so I'll continue to stand there with my scoop willling him to hurry up  :evillaugh:

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2007, 21:42:46 PM »
Awww! Beautiful fuzzies!

Riley and Skye also do the scraping at the plastic routine. Riley, however, takes it a stage further - having finished driving us nuts scratching at the tray, he walks away, and then decides to wipe the litter off his paws using either: the bathroom wall (woodchip wallpaper), the inner sides of the wet bath (after which he runs across our chocolate leather sofa, leaving perfectly formed white clay residue paw prints), or the pillow above my side of the bed, where he sleeps. Little  :censored: charmer! :rofl:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2007, 19:57:46 PM »
oh they are gorgeous  ;D

Offline Inky

• Adult Cat
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2007, 19:55:32 PM »
Tadaaa! Tabby Twyla and brother Taiki

Offline Inky

• Adult Cat
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2007, 19:37:42 PM »
What i think is worse is you put up with the infernal scraping gritting your teeth then it goes quiet AAAGGHHH thinks me, peace but NOPE all he was doing was trying to turn his lardy ass round and start scraping the other side  >:(  (thats when i normally shout through to him lol)

*snorts* Hahahah! That's SO familiar.

She tends to do it at 2am here. Twyla and her brother are living in my bedroom. Rather a few (or twenty  :tired:) sleepless nights than a battered kitten!

Let me dig out the camera.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2007, 19:34:56 PM »
BC is right we do  ;D

Can we please see a picture of Twyla  ;D

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2007, 19:34:56 PM »
Me tease  :innocent:

Actually you did make a valid point though and some peeps may take things quite literally and bang on the trays and indeed scare the 9 lives off their puss  :scared:

What i think is worse is you put up with the infernal scraping gritting your teeth then it goes quiet AAAGGHHH thinks me, peace but NOPE all he was doing was trying to turn his lardy ass round and start scraping the other side  >:(  (thats when i normally shout through to him lol)

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2007, 19:32:32 PM »
WE know, Inky, we are just teasing ... we do that a lot on this site!!

Offline Inky

• Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2007, 19:30:58 PM »
Oh no I wasn't trying to suggest that you shouldn't do that, you know your cat best!

I was just saying I wouldn't do that to Twyla because she's only mini and in such a vital stage of development the last thing I want to do is scare her when she's on the loo  ;D

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2007, 19:30:12 PM »
You are expected of course after all the noise , the covering and the smell to swoop to the tray immediately after and remove said parcel  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2007, 19:30:06 PM »
wordsworth and little fingers to you Lynn

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2007, 19:28:50 PM »
LOL snap BC  ;)

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2007, 19:28:16 PM »
Well the kids hammer and try to knock the bathroom door down when i'm in there so i figured i was quite entitled to give a little "chap" on codys bathroom door  :evillaugh:

But good point i never thought of that, it might scare some cats to do that (not cody though, he's pretty non phazed by stuff like that)

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2007, 19:27:27 PM »
Cody's not the nervous type :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Inky

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 19:25:16 PM »
Ahh see I don't want to do anything to put her off using the tray entirely so I just let her get on with it  :rofl:

I would be mighty pleased if she could actually make it stop smelling by burying it completely! I understand that's why they would bury it in the wild. But does she not 'get' that the walls are made of solid plastic and can't be used to bury poo under!  :evillaugh:

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 19:22:28 PM »
yep cody does it too  :tired: not for 10 mins but more than a couple of mins of that noise drives me barmy (more than normal  :evillaugh:) so i normally yell at him to stop it or knock on the side of the tray ;)  Works a treat.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 19:20:30 PM »
Misa will do this and eventually use every single piece of litter to make a nice neat parcel  :rofl: :rofl:

I reckon they are just trying to stop the smell, but why the covering includes everything around  like walls etc , no idea , unless they just dont sorta understand that they cant use those things or they are just that bad aim when trying to cover. :evillaugh:

Offline Ralph's mum (angie)

• Super Cat
  • Rainbow Bridge Babies Bob, Max and Ralph 🌈💔
  • Slave to: Harvey and Ruby the mutts!!
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 19:18:49 PM »
Smidgen can be a bit obsessive about this but I find that if I call him, or distract him, he happily forgets what he was doing ... typical boy :wow:

same with Max
Cats don't come when they are called,
They take a message and get back to you later.
                           Wilfred P. Lampton

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 19:18:00 PM »
Smidgen can be a bit obsessive about this but I find that if I call him, or distract him, he happily forgets what he was doing ... typical boy :wow:

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 19:17:14 PM »
Lexy builds pyramids, and scratches the sides endlessly. And will go back if its not quiet covered either. I've learned to tolerate it  :naughty:

Offline Inky

• Adult Cat
Why does she do this!
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 19:16:17 PM »
First off, this is not a big deal really, and it isn't a problem for me. I am just intrigued by it  :innocent:

My female kitten Twyla tends to spend ages and ages in the bathroom - typical girl really  ;D When she goes for a number 1 she's pretty normal, but when she goes for a number 2 she spends ages and I mean ages trying to bury it. But here's the thing - she scrapes and paws at the walls of her litter tray. Since I bought them the new fancy tray with roof and catflap she also paws at the entrance flap as well as the walls. She can be in there for 10 minutes pawing and scraping at the walls/flap.

Is she just a bit quirky or is there a reason for this?

Link to CatChat