Author Topic: Gwyn's back legs arent working properly  (Read 28024 times)

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
Re: Gwyn's back legs arent working properly
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2007, 20:19:42 PM »
yes that which tests for them knowing their foot isnt in the right position, ie paralysis where nothing is wrong with the limb the animal wouldnt move it coz the signals are cut, also pedal reflex (pain response) seeing if the animal recognises pain and takes appropriate action (to pull leg away from source)

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2007, 20:12:06 PM »
Mellika has taken a couple of weeks to get better and even now if she has a mad half hour it seems to happen briefly.
when Raffiki was younger he was "lame" on his front leg and that turned out to be joint infection and it was cleared up with antibiotics.

Sending love and positive vibes for little Gwyn and hugs for you. xxx

If you are not happy with her progress Gillian take her back to the vets and ask for Xrays is necessary.

The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2007, 19:29:43 PM »
basic simple neurological tests can normally asertain whether the legs are working fine but the brain/nerves arent or the signals are working fine but pain is preventing the animal from allowing the movement. 
It sounds highly likely some sort of injury has taken place so fingers crossed for a rapid recovery.

Vet did do something I think he called a 'knuckle' test? - he was bending the legs somehow to see how quick the reflex to pull them back was - I think! There was reaction but it was very slow, especially on the worse leg - is that the sort of thing you mean Lynn?  Would the metacam have an immediate effect or does it take time to work? - she's still very wobbly and the legs are collapsing when she walks a bit.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2007, 18:55:05 PM »
basic simple neurological tests can normally asertain whether the legs are working fine but the brain/nerves arent or the signals are working fine but pain is preventing the animal from allowing the movement. 
It sounds highly likely some sort of injury has taken place so fingers crossed for a rapid recovery.

Offline Ralph's mum (angie)

• Super Cat
  • Rainbow Bridge Babies Bob, Max and Ralph 🌈💔
  • Slave to: Harvey and Ruby the mutts!!
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2007, 18:52:55 PM »
Gillian  :hug: hope Gwyns on the mend soon and she has just been over enthusiastic during play  :Luv:
Cats don't come when they are called,
They take a message and get back to you later.
                           Wilfred P. Lampton

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2007, 18:25:20 PM »
Gillian, maybe she put her back out a wee bit hurtling up and down the stairs? It is a constant source of worry to me the way Smidgen takes the stairs. Often wonder if he will make it to the bottom still on his legs. If so, the anti-inflamatory should ease up any bruising. But keep an eye on her (as if you wouldn't) and get her back to the vet if it gets worse. Try videoing it for the vet ... They never behave normally at the vet and if they have a chance to see her in various activities it will help them with their diagnosis...

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2007, 16:35:05 PM »
Oh Gillian. So very sorry to hear that little Gwyn's back legs are not working properly. She is such a beautiful little girl and has definitely turned me into a Persian fan. Hope everything is completely back to normal really soon  :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2007, 16:15:21 PM »
i am sorry to hear about gwynn and hope its nothing more than a pulled muscle  :hug:

i know kocka hurt herself slipping on the floor cos she had furry feet, i hope its nothing serious.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2007, 16:04:42 PM »
Poor Gwyn  :'(

Fingers crossed she was just playing rough  :boxer: and it will sort itself out   :hug:

:ahh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2007, 15:57:55 PM »
Vet just said come back on Thursday if no better. Dawn was Pingu ill when her legs first went? its just that Gwyn seems fine in herself, she's eating fine, trying to play - with her front paws  (lying down!) and even, when she was standing, had a little playful dab at Joe - cept she fell over bless her!

She wasn't actually living with me at the time.  All I was told was that she was fine, went out and came in and her back legs weren't right.  They weren't sure if she'd been hit by a car or whether it was something else initially.  She had bloods done and an x ray but the cause couldn't be determined.  Eventually she got worse and she couldn't use her litter tray, she then stopped eating..........this was the first I had heard about it as by that point the vet said there was nothing they could do   >:(  I picked her up at gone 10 at night as after hearing the vet saga, I knew they weren't giving her everything she needed and surprisingly they hadn't even took her temperature  :Crazy:  Gwyn's problem may be totally different but just be on guard in case something else is going on other than her hurting her back legs.  Shelby had a similar problem, she was feral and came in with gunky eyes, etc.......she also lost the use of her back legs and is now partly brain damaged but is happy in herself and did regain the use although never 100%.  She also ended up completely blind in one eye due to whatever bug she had.  Again, it was put down to some type of brain bug.  I'm not trying to worry you but sometimes, vets don't know what they are dealing with and brush it off as something and nothing, I really hope this isn't the case with Gwyn, xxx
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 16:09:36 PM by Dawn (DiddyDawn) »

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2007, 15:46:45 PM »
 :thanks: everyone.

We had a similar problem with Mellika and although she wasnt wobbling she looked as if she had cramp in her back legs which would pass in a few seconds.  The vet says she has pulled muscles (probably from one of her mistimed death defying leaps) but she is improving really quickly.

This doesnt pass though, she continues to wobble, then sits down (or falls) with her legs in a strange position, sort of out behind her.   How long did Melika take to improve Sheryl?

Are they planning on monitoring her Gillian?  The more I think about this, the more I think about Pingu.  Her back legs went on her a few months after she'd been rehomed. 

She did recover but the only thing they could put it down to was some form of virus, possibly a Meningitis type bug. 

Vet just said come back on Thursday if no better. Dawn was Pingu ill when her legs first went? its just that Gwyn seems fine in herself, she's eating fine, trying to play - with her front paws  (lying down!) and even, when she was standing, had a little playful dab at Joe - cept she fell over bless her!

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2007, 15:02:32 PM »
Are they planning on monitoring her Gillian?  The more I think about this, the more I think about Pingu.  Her back legs went on her a few months after she'd been rehomed.  The vet they were dealing with was useless and she got worse and worse, to the point they wanted to put her to sleep.  I ended up getting her back and getting her in my own vets and it took weeks of tlc and syringe feeding to get her round again.  She was on the verge of death when I picked her up and she had a temp of 105, the vets hadn't got a clue what they were dealing with, mine didn't either but they gave her all the support medical wise that they could muster.  She did recover but the only thing they could put it down to was some form of virus, possibly a Meningitis type bug.  All I'm saying is keep a close eye on her just in case, when things affect the back legs, it's not always obvious at the time  :hug:

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2007, 14:52:16 PM »
Hope Gwyn is feeling better soon and that it is just because she has overdone the gymnastics a bit.  Sending her hugs and headbutts.
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2007, 14:38:43 PM »
I do hope your vet is right and it's nothing serious.  Please keep us posted.   :hug:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline puddypaws

• Hero Cat
  • Mum to Sophie and Oscar
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2007, 14:22:38 PM »
Hope she is better soon and it isn't anything serious.   :hug: :hug: to you

Online Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2007, 14:11:02 PM »
Poor babe.  I hope it turns out to be nothing serious and that she's better soon  :hug:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2007, 14:07:21 PM »
 :hug: Gillian, I really hope it's nothing serious.  I would keep an eye on her and if she doesn't improve, get her back in again and see another vet if need be.  I always worry when their back ends go but hopefully she has just pulled herself  :hug:

Offline puddypaws

• Hero Cat
  • Mum to Sophie and Oscar
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 14:03:14 PM »
Lots of tummy rubs for Gwyn and  :hug: for you.  Hopeit is nothing serious

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 14:02:38 PM »
Poor little girl, sending lots of love and positive vibes that she is feeling better really soon. xxx  We had a similar problem with Mellika and although she wasnt wobbling she looked as if she had cramp in her back legs which would pass in a few seconds.  The vet says she has pulled muscles (probably from one of her mistimed death defying leaps) but she is improving really quickly.
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 13:29:26 PM »
Oh no poor lil un... let's hope it is nothing serious, keep us posted how she gets on!!  She will be in my thoughts!!  :hug:

Offline Felix (Caroline)

• Hero Cat
  • Simba
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 12:49:55 PM »
Will be thinking of you both as I have just said on my thread :Luv:
Caroline xx

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 12:41:31 PM »
Awwww, poor Gwyn n poor You :hug: :hug: :hug:
Hope she is on the mend soon  :Luv:

Thanks Stuart  :thanks: Its horrible to see her staggering around, she's sleeping at the moment though.

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 12:02:15 PM »
Awwww, poor Gwyn n poor You :hug: :hug: :hug:
Hope she is on the mend soon  :Luv:
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
Gwyn's back legs arent working properly
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 11:57:09 AM »
Noticed yesterday evening everytime she walked a little bit, it looked like she needed to take rest and she would sit down in a strange position (bit like when they squat to have a wee!). Then watched her when she was eating with the rest of them in the kitchen, her back legs seemed to be moving away from her, you know, like they slide on vinyl floors.

It seemed to get worse during the evening, such that, she was staggering as she walked, and then if she tried to climbed up onto anything, it was like her back legs couldnt push her up. She didnt walk much during the evening, but when she did, her legs then started to give way. It seemed worse with one leg than the other. She can put weight on both legs, but it seems like they give way after a bit.

Anyway, this morning she was staggering a lot, so took her to the vet. He felt all round her legs and back, and saw her walking (staggering) and he thought she must have hurt herself somehow - but early yesterday morning she was dashing up the stairs after one of the others and seemed absolutely fine - it was only later on that the legs started going funny. Vet reckons its just one leg, and gave her anti-inflammatory and see how it goes for a couple of days.

Its very worrying (although vet didnt seem too worried - honestly, goes from one extreme to the other 1 vet panicking me about FIP the other day, and this one not too concerned about a kitten that can't use its legs properly!) Would you believe also, I havent renewed her insurance yet - coz of all this stuff about the inflated quotes from Axa, I'd still been shopping around!!! I could cry!  :'(

Link to CatChat