Author Topic: Minnie has attacked OH!  (Read 1330 times)

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
Re: Minnie has attacked OH!
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2007, 18:28:28 PM »
Something else has just occurred to me ... the last time I wrapped Minnie in a towel, it was to get her into the carry box to go to the vet's - no wonder she went for him!

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2007, 18:16:12 PM »
I would not recommend the direct approach for a few days. If he is comfy sitting on the floor with some treats on the floor near him, then that is what I would do. He should avoid any sudden moves. It is essentially a matter of re-gaining her trust. He knew he was trying to do the right thing, but from where she was sitting, he attacked her. So she needs to be treated gently so she knows it won't happen again.

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 18:12:27 PM »
Think you're all quite right about the towel - I have to say that knowing Minnie is a bit feisty and still adapting to life in my house (she's only been with me since June), I wouldn't have tried to wrap her in a towel!  Gill, I don't think he's serious about leaving Minnie behind - especially because he knows I wouldn't go anywhere without her!  ;D  I did suggest he fed Minnie some treats (she loves those cat stick things from Asda!), but he's scared to put his hands anywhere near her!

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 18:03:37 PM »
I agree and think the towel has caught her abit off gaurd and given her a right fright.

Feliway does a product called feliway friend which is for us humans to use on ourselves, that may be worth a go if she still hasnt come round in a couple of days.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 17:51:32 PM »
I agree with bc that Minnie was scared by the towel especially if he tried to wrap her in it maybe. Its somethoing you can do prpbably with a dog but have to be more sensitive with a cat. She will now associate him with something scary and if he is angry at her then she will sense this too, even if he doesnt show it.

Does she like any nice treats or special food cos I think he will have to bribe her back and try to get her to overcome her fear with some hand feeding.

This if it works will allow her to understand he will not hurt her and also the same for him.

It does worry me a bit about what he has said about moving, because cats can get so easily distressed and will be angry if they are scared and any cat person should not be put off because of an isolated accident. Maybe he was angry at the time, or not serious, but if he is serious , that would worry me a lot.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 17:42:35 PM »
she was probably a bit tense after being outside and when 'attacked' by a towel felt she needed to defend herself. I am sure she will settle down with time. The same might not apply to OH, but if he is nice to cats (as seems to be the case) he will start to come to terms with it. Sounds like he is embarrassed and men hate to be embarrassed :rofl:

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
Minnie has attacked OH!
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 17:34:29 PM »
She's actually scratched and bitten him quite badly so it's not as funny as it sounds!  I'm not sure exactly what happened as this was last night after I went to bed ... but apparently Minnie had been out in the rain and wanted to come and join me in bed, so OH tried to dry her with a towel first, and she flipped and attacked him.  Today she has hissed and growled every time she's seen him - they've fallen out big time!  He's really cross and making mutterings about the fact that when we all move in together next year, Bertie and Bella are welcome in his house but Minnie can stay behind (I hope he's joking!)  What can I do to smooth things over between them?!

Link to CatChat