Author Topic: Purring!  (Read 3366 times)

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
Re: Purring!
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2007, 16:49:54 PM »
While it seems cats don't learn to purr from other cats, I do know of a dog who learned to "purr" from a cat  :wow: My old dog Jade (a border collie, lives with my mum), was rescued a year after we got our cat, Ash. They got on fine, though Ash was of course the boss, and she doted on him.
Jade was rescued from a farm at 18 months old, so had never been housetrained. She knew she shouldn't wee in the house, but didn't know how to ask to get out. Ash used to get let out of the livingroom window, which opened onto the garden.
One day, jade got up on the back of the sofa, and pawed at the window !!!! :rofl:
Around the same time, She stared to "wheeze" whenever we petted or hugged her. Concerned, we took her to the vet, but nothing was wrong. We soon noticed she only did this when happy or being fussed over, and that she was very deliberately making herself wheeze. The penny dropped - she used to sleep with, and cuddle up to, the cat - who would purr.
Jade, like the window incident, was copying Ash! She was "purring"! :rofl: :rofl:
She still does it to this day - we have to keep explaining to people who meet her that no, she isn't asthmatic, she just thinks she's a cat! :rofl:

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2007, 15:16:38 PM »
Max's purr could rival a train, its very loud, and sometimes all I have to do is look at him and he'll start to purr, then jump up for a cuddle.

I would have to say that I think his purr is louder than it used to be, I've had him since age about 2 when he was picked up as a stray, he's 9 now  :Luv:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2007, 14:41:14 PM »
He once went through a phase of sleeping on my pillow - he'd purr so loud I had no chance of sleeping.  Sounded like a drill next to my ear.

My Hamish was like this :Luv:
But Misty Has never really purred Loudly ??? and He's not very Vocal iether (just kinda half a meow) ???
He does Purr but you can barely hear it, feel it in his throat more than anything else ??
as far as I remember He was not taken from His mother too early (she was a Feral who stayed on a Farm)

maybe it's just the way He is  :Luv:
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2007, 09:49:11 AM »
Memphis is a loud and constant purrer. He purrs at everything. I've been fortunate to be around him when he could fit in the palm of my hand, with plenty of room to spare  :Luv: He's been purring ever since he could Meow. Which was when he started getting bigger, and more active (can't remember the exact age). He never had his mum to teach him - and there weren't many cats in when he was there - the kittens were the noisiest ones!!
I'm assuming he's going to be large, especially with the way he's growing.
He's been in the vicinity of other quieter cats.
He's a constant and very loud purrer.
He's not had his mum.

(He also doesn't do the whole Kneading thing, which I'm sooooooooooooo greatful for, as that has always been the one thing I've disliked about some cats .. for some reason it really gets to me  :-: )

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2007, 22:32:37 PM »
 :rofl: any correlation between being a big cat, purring quietly and drooling? Riley is a big boy, a silent purrer, and he drools too! :rofl:

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2007, 22:29:59 PM »
Ummm no i would have to say cody is more cheetah like in that respect with his trills and chips.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2007, 22:28:27 PM »
well Jaffa's quite a big boy, but so is Mosi (albeit with a smaller build).

Mosi does a good attempt at roaring  ;D 

Jaffa is currently sitting beside me purring his head off.  He wants his supper and I've not touched him or looked at him (he's just come up beside me) but he's just started purring.  He'll continue to purr while he's eating - does anyone else's pud purr while eating?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 22:30:18 PM by Susanne (urbantigers) »

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2007, 22:25:07 PM »
Yep and the cheetah cant roar either which is why they arent really a true big cat but general tendancy is to think of them when thinking of the "big cat section"

Again i cant say i go with the size.  Cody is my smallest cat , the middle sized cat purrs loudly for scotland but the biggest (and extremely large by moggy and generally most cat size) purrs but its not what i would class as the loudest at all, but then again he seems to put too much effort into drooling gallons when he gets going  :tired:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2007, 22:17:04 PM »
Intersting thread.............Kocka purred like a steam train and had a super-purr too, Misa is the same and the youngest at 6 yrs old. Trying desperately to remember whether he purred when he first arrived but dont think he did and was 4 then and the super-purr has only started this year.

The birmans are different at 14 and brothers...Franta has a very soft bass purr which is gorgeous and Ducha is just a purrer, especially in bed cos he makes the pillow vibrate but he does do it lying down. especially when he is lying on my head..........sigh!

I know cats purr when they are content but also when they are in pain but wonder if they have had a hard life like Misa and Sasa they only start purring when they are settled and content in a home. I have never heard Sasa Purr but I cant get very close so she might be.

She is getting more vocal and demanding, so I am hoping for a big purr soon  ;D

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2007, 22:13:05 PM »
I remember (many moons ago) being told about this in Zoology at uni. Interestingly, the cheetah (which has characteristics of both groups) is usually classified within the felis (though tentatively, and sources disagree) - this is because unlike other "big cats" they can purr continuously, like our mogs, and adopt the crouching (not laying-down) posture of smaller species while eating.
I wonder if the size of the mog has an effect? Unlikely, I know, as they change size as they grow, but it might be that cats who have the genes to get particularly big (like my Riley) have lower-pitched purrs, and so seem "silent" to human hearing?

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2007, 21:52:27 PM »
No i dont go along with the dominance either, whilst cody doesnt exactly live side by side with the big boys he has always deemed himself as the dominant one.

I have also found this

Cats have been classified under the family Felidae. The classification known as the genus separates the large cats (Panthera) from the small cats (Felis). Pantherine cats are classified this way because of the structure in their throats that allow them to roar, the inability of them to purr continuously or at all and the lying position they assume while feeding. Felis cats are generally smaller, cannot roar, can continuously purr and crouch, rather than lay down, while feeding. This is why the physically large cat, the puma, is classified under felis, the "small" cats. Some cats, such as the cheetah, clouded leopard and snow leopard have traits that make it difficult to place them in the genus of Panthera or Felis, so they are placed in separate genera. Note that the snow leopard is often classified under Panthera with the other big cats.

and

. Genus, species--Panthera tigris.
1. There are five species in the genus Panthera: tigers (P. tigris), snow leopards (P. uncia), leopards (P. pardus), jaguars (P. onca), and lions (P. leo).

a. All Panthera cats have elastic sections on both sides of the hyoid bone, a structure which supports the tongue and its muscles.

(1) The elastic hyoid, combined with the fibroelastic tissue on top of the big cats' undivided vocal folds, acts like a slide trombone, enabling the big cats to roar. Only snow leopards, which lack the specialized vocal folds, are not able to roar.

(2) Because of the elastic hyoid, big cats can purr only when breathing out.

b. The hyoid of smaller cats is solid bone. These cats can purr when breathing both in and out, but they can't roar.

(that explains something i remembered a bit of when watching a big cat prog on telly a couple of years ago.)

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2007, 21:10:18 PM »
;D

I've just had an idea - do you think it could be related to dominance?  Dominant cats purring louder or something?  That would tie in with Jaffa being a loud purrer and Mosi's purrs getting louder as he tries to assert his dominance more.  Just a thought.

While I wouldn't be surprised if dominance was involved somehow, I don't think it's the whole story. Riley was a single cat till 2 weeks ago, and has always been a silent purrer.
It might be as simple as what "pitch" of voice they have - it might be that "silent" purrers are making a noise, but at a frequency that is too low or high for us to hear as easily as their more mid-range peers?

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2007, 21:06:02 PM »
 ;D

I've just had an idea - do you think it could be related to dominance?  Dominant cats purring louder or something?  That would tie in with Jaffa being a loud purrer and Mosi's purrs getting louder as he tries to assert his dominance more.  Just a thought.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2007, 20:57:54 PM »
I just found this online and the last sentance made me chuckle

Unlike other cat noises, purring occurs during the entire breathing cycle—inhale and exhale. A meow, on the other hand, is done only during exhalation.

Scientists are still puzzled over the exact mechanism of purring. But the most accepted idea is that a region of the cat’s brain signals the muscles that make up its voice box, called the laryngeal muscles, to vibrate.

Simultaneously, Fluffy is inhaling and exhaling, sending a stream of air through the vocal cords. Together these two actions cause the vocal cords to vibrate, creating one feline factor that pleases many humans and makes dog lovers of the rest.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2007, 20:56:32 PM »
I would esp love to learn why the "late purrers" are like that.  Do you think its something they learn ?  I am sure and under the impression it is a feline trait not a learned thing as such.

Yes - and even if it was learned, Mosi has been surrounded by cats of all ages since he was born so must have heard them purring (and he can't fail to have heard Jaffa purr  :rofl:).   It's like he just physically couldn't manage a proper purr.  But if the vet could hear it at 5 months he must have been able to purr.  Maybe it's to do with their physical development - as they reach maturity they can purr louder?  Although that doesn't reeally account for small kittens purring loudly.  Mosi will be 2 in December and Somalis aren't fully grown until 2-3 years old, so he's only just reaching physical maturity now.  And he only started this louder purring a couple of weeks ago.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2007, 20:52:28 PM »
The funny thing is that even though it was really annoying, I couldn't resist putting out my hand and giving him a little stroke from time to time and that always increased the volume  ;D

Thankfully he now sleeps on his hot water bottle beside me and after an initial cuddle he gets his purring out of the way while I'm reading.  he's usually asleep before me.  he does snore though, but I find that quite sweet  ;D

No, he doesnt mind being addressed as a little gingerbread man, Lottie!  I call him that all the time.  He's ginger and proud!

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2007, 20:51:23 PM »
Very interesting

I would esp love to learn why the "late purrers" are like that.  Do you think its something they learn ?  I am sure and under the impression it is a feline trait not a learned thing as such.

Me thinks google is gonna have to pull his finger out  :rofl:

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
  • Miss Jasmine <3 (R.I.P Special girl)
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2007, 20:50:50 PM »
My 3 lil ones are big purrers, with Tigger you can barely hear it, only feel it when you touch him  :Luv:

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2007, 20:48:14 PM »
He once went through a phase of sleeping on my pillow - he'd purr so loud I had no chance of sleeping.  Sounded like a drill next to my ear.
:rofl:
That is exactly what happens here at 10pm every night!!

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2007, 20:47:52 PM »
LOL bless that little gingerbread man (hope that doesn't offend him me calling him that lol)
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2007, 20:46:39 PM »
Jaffa can be a bit of a pain in the mornings.  If he thinks I should be up (and it's usually Mosi waking us both up to begin with) he walks around the bed purring very loudly.  He once went through a phase of sleeping on my pillow - he'd purr so loud I had no chance of sleeping.  Sounded like a drill next to my ear.

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2007, 20:44:31 PM »
Better than when they purr really loudly and it takes the vet aaaages to listen to their heart because they won't stop purring. Bilbo thinks it's a huge treat going to the vets so he shows his happiness by purring and licking the vet.

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2007, 20:43:41 PM »
Memphis has been purring since he was around 5/6 weeks old. He's gotten louder as he's grown and boy is he noisy   :scared:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007, 20:41:19 PM »
Forgot to mention earlier - when Mosi went to the vets (think it was for his post neuter check up) the vet said she could hear him purring when she listened to his heart.  So he has always purred, you just need a stethoscope to hear it!

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 20:37:48 PM »
All of mine have purred since they were small and Ollie, Bilbo and Boopy have really loud express train purrs. Miss Boopy is in possession of the strangest purr known to man though. The vet had never heard anything like it lol, she said she thinks Boopy must purr with a French accent  :evillaugh:

Offline Ellie

• Super Cat
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 20:34:05 PM »
Muppet is two and only purred when he was about 13/14 months  :) Even now he only purrs when he's tired or getting a fuss from Pete  :tired:

Rascal only purrs when she is in the mood for a fuss or doing something naughty  :evillaugh:

The boys however have purred since they were wee  :Luv2: Guinness purrs for Britain all the time  :Luv2: Widget only purrs when being fussed by me or Susan  :evillaugh:

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 19:21:58 PM »
OOhh this is an interesting one - and something I've wondered about since getting Skye. We got Riley when he was 5 months (he's 18 months now), and like Mosi, he's a silent purrer. He loves attention, but you can only tell he's purring by checking for vibrations. He didn't purr at all until he was about 7 months, but I put this down to him being a rescue boy who had been a stray for his first 4 months. However, we recently got Skye, who is 5 months, also a rescue, and she purrs like a little chainsaw! Riley is a red/silver tuxedo tabby, and Skye is a dilute Tortie, so they are both red-gened DSH (though obviously not of a pedigree breed, pretty as they are!).

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 19:18:47 PM »
Smidgen has been purring up a storm ever since I have known him ... :Luv:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 19:16:54 PM »
perhaps Mosi and Cody are just abit odd 

That is very possible  :rofl:

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 19:10:23 PM »
Yes i'll be very interested in general outcomes of this thread.

Both fraser and seb were adults when i got them and both purr very well, Fraser is a very loud purrer and will do so at the drop of a hat (even if you just look at him)

I was saying to susanne that in codys first year he seldom purred, if he did it took alot of petting and even then it was a very quiet purr and didnt last long.  Gradually this year, esp in the last 4-6 mnths i have noticed it takes far less attention to get him going and it is much louder and lasts longer.

So we are wondering if its an individual thing, a breed thing or perhaps Mosi and Cody are just abit odd  :shify:  Most other cats i've met or heard about have purred even when they are kittens and i hear this alot on purrs etc people saying their babies have loud purrs.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 18:43:31 PM »
Don't know how/if I can do this properly so I'll just copy and paste the relevent parts of both our posts

posted by Lynn
Teoh is still young so you never know he may change again.  My cody hardly ever purred when he was under 1 year old but now his purrs come easier and easier (he'll be 2 in march) so they do change as they mature.

and then by me
That's interesting about Cody's purr, Lynn.  Mosi has never had much of a purr and I used to think he didnt' purr at all.  But sometimes if I put my head on his side I could feel faint vibrations.  However, over the past couple of weeks he seems to have started purring louder.  You still have to be resting your head on him, but now instead of faint vibrations I hear a definite purr.  I wonder whether it's a breed thing or just an individual cat thing?  Jaffa purred loudly from the day I brought him home at 8 weeks.

Discuss!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Purring!
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 18:41:06 PM »
Starting a new thread from something that was mentioned in this thread

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php?topic=3335.175

Anyone else got a cat who was a late developer in the purring stakes?

I'm wondering whether it's breed related or just an individual quirk?

Will copy over Lynn and my posts from the other thread (if I can work out how to do it!)

Link to CatChat