Cat Health & Behaviour > Health & Behaviour General

Kitten panting?

(1/2) > >>

fleur:
One of mine did this once after a particularly energetic play session. It scared me a bit but I was playing him *really* hard and it was really warm in the room. I let him cool down (I even opened the freezer for him to lie in front of!) and have not played him quite so hard since and it’s never happened again. I did look it up and it's normal if it's happened after exercise, but as mentioned above if they do it without any exertion or reason, get to your vets right away!

Sam (Fussy_Furball):
He sounds a bit like Zephyr .... Zephyr goes "full on" when he chases the laser pen and as a result we only play for about 5 mins max every couple of days.  I have never seen a cat move so fast (consdiering he is a full grown male) but after a couple of mins he flops down panting away.  He has a very fast recovery time but i never like to continue the game once he starts panting llike a dog.

rach:
Aye we were at the vets on sat as he has an eye infection, and the vet commented that he was a bit stuffy up his nose too.

He only pants after chasing the laser pen round the flat haha, if he starts to appear troubled by it we shall call the vet asap.

Susanne (urbantigers):
It's normal for kittens to pant after they've been racing around particularly fast (I asked the vet about this when Jaffa was little as he panted and Mosi pants now after he's been racing up and down the room) but if your kitten is panting at other times, doesn't stop panting quickly after resting or is showing any other signs at all best get him checked over by a vet.  Otherwise it's probably ok to just mention it to the vet next time you go for a routine appt.  But ela is right that we can't see your kitty and panting can be a symptom of something else.  My advice would be to ring your vet and ask to speak to him over the telephone.  Explain the panting to him/her and they'll be able to advise you best on whether you need to take your kitten in to be checked over.

Ela:
We cannot answer this, your best bet would be to take the little on to the vet for a MOT.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version