Cat Health & Behaviour > Health & Behaviour General

advise on grooming a persian

(1/2) > >>

ChrisB:
Definitely agree with little and often - for whatever reason, sometimes they are a lot more tolerant than at other times !

lucy persian:
thank you for the advise, i will keep trying

Gillian Harvey:
I'm a groomer, and I'd advise the metal comb you prob already have, although the one I swear by is quite small, with medium and fine teeth - no handle or anything just a plain metal comb. You can see a pic of it on my website in my profile. As Candyshandy said, comb against the lay of the fur right down to the roots. Any knots, you could try teasing out with your fingers and then combing, the little comb can also be used to tease the knots out too - just use the tip of the end tooth to gently tease through the mat.

If the knots are just underneath - tummy and inside back legs, you could see if theres a good groomer near you who does cats and maybe have the underneath shaved, if thats going to be a problem area, as it won't show - unless like my Persians yours like to lie on their backs!

The best method of keepin coats knot free is bathing and blow drying - it gets rid of all the dead fur (which is what causes the mats - by binding to the still growing fur) in one go - and the best bit - is that you don't need to do hardly any grooming in between baths because they don't knot up - honest it works! I've had persians for 10 yrs now and been grooming other peoples too for 6 yrs. The breeder of some of my Persians showed me how to do it initially.

I've got colourpoints but I find their coats easier to groom than the solid colours - I've got a solid red boy Joe - the namesake for my grooming business Scruffy Joes! and his coat can be quite woolly.

lucy persian:
thank you, it would be nice to see what they say

candyshandy:
I have a lilacpoint and her fluff is the worst out of the three.hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh - ermmm that was her!!!!

She goes to the groomers every 10 weeks for a spruce up and to get any knots out that I can't get to.  The groomer advised a plain stainless steel comb (sounds like you have it) and to comb it upwards not along the body.

They are all off to the groomers next week and I'll ask her if she has any tips for you.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version