Author Topic: Scruffing adult cats?  (Read 5027 times)

Offline Willow

• Adult Cat
Re: Scruffing adult cats?
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2007, 23:02:00 PM »
I grabbed Willow by the scruff this summer..........but he had fallen in the sea and that was the only bit I could reach!  Funnily enough he was so glad to be out of the wet stuff he didn't mind in the slightest!  :evillaugh:

I wouldn't do it as routine though, normally I scoop with one hand under the chest, then one under the bum just as his legs leave the floor.  That's when I find out if he's just been to the litter tray!!!! :innocent:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2007, 21:07:33 PM »
Well SR I'm ashamed to say you made me laugh out loud. In fact, I think I may have snorted  :rofl:

I wonder if you're going to be allowed to make 144 posts  :evillaugh:

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2007, 18:49:57 PM »
Barry has a hoop (piercing) through his scruff and when I want to pick him up I hook him with a big stick like when you hook the ducks at fairgrounds

I am Really starting to wonder if you are the Full Shilling

Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline SpecialRed

• Senior Cat
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2007, 17:03:07 PM »
Barry has a hoop (piercing) through his scruff and when I want to pick him up I hook him with a big stick like when you hook the ducks at fairgrounds

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2007, 21:10:25 PM »
Hmmmm, well we've already established I'm not going to heaven and I admit I did the wicked scruffing business on my darling Billy Whiz at 4.20pm today (thought I'd posted but don't seem to have) and the babe has been boosted today.

The scruffing was very quick and well supported  He was almost asleep and didn't seem to realise what was happening until the carrier lid closed on the poor mite's furry head. I felt absolutely awful at the time but it's all over for another year (touch wood) and he's had his booster. I reiterate that I would love to have an alternative stress free way of getting our gorgeous little man into the carrier but don't and would never dream of carrying him unsupported  >:(.

BTW, hugs to the gorgeous Leo. Can't imagine anyone picking him up without a cuddle. :Luv:

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2007, 16:46:21 PM »
I dont understand why she would want to pick him up like this.. whenever I pick Leo up I make sure I have a nice loooong cuddle much to his discust !

Offline lilycat

• Senior Cat
  • Lilycat
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2007, 16:30:46 PM »
I've only ever [gently] scruffed my lot if they've been struggling during grooming, giving meds etc - day to day picking them up for cuddles is done one hand supporting the chest, other supporting the bum.

Picking a cat up like an old shopping bag is  :censored: awful.

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2007, 16:13:31 PM »
I normally hold them by the scruff so I can actually pick the rest of them up, its a loose hold just so they won't run as they tend to freeze because they know I will pick them up like it or not.

Then there was the once I attempted to do that to Quinn who doesn't like being touched and being all black... well I grabbed the wrong end ;) I did manage to get my own blood out of the duvet!

Lirael loves to play catch me if you can around 6am just so I can bring her to bed and I'm never sure how I've picked her up because I'm asleep and never have my glasses on.

My ferrets had always gone completely limp and yawned when you picked them up like that....I swear they are the most dramatic animals...

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
  • Slave to: Bramble and Lily
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2007, 15:42:38 PM »
Grabbing cats by the scruff will probably be reassuring for them, and stop them struggling. It can be useful when grooming, medicating etc., but the benefit is psychological. Domestic cats think they're kittens anyway, at least when they're home!
It's difficult to get a good grip on the scruff of most adult cats, which should be a clue that lifting them in this way is a bad thing.
Even so, it's hardly new knowledge that adult cats' weight should be supported, and I find it odd, and upsetting, that the myth that you can lift them with one hand in this way still persists.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2007, 15:27:10 PM »
Its never occured to me to try and pick a cat up like that?  I'd be afriad of hurting them  :(

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline coastalkitty

• Adult Cat
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2007, 14:57:03 PM »
The scary thing is, I think a lot of people think it is the proper way to pick a cat up  :(

I think youre right Mark, in the same way as they think picking rabbits up by their ears/rats by their tails is the right way to do it  :( 

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2007, 14:49:44 PM »
If its done properly i have no problem with it but carrying one handed  :censored:
Shame it didnt flip and scratch her

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2007, 13:37:18 PM »
My vet said its not the right thing to to do

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2007, 12:12:10 PM »
The scary thing is, I think a lot of people think it is the proper way to pick a cat up

I am sure you are right. When we home a cat and with every voucher I send our a tips page , notice the first one:-KEEPING YOUR CAT HAPPY
Never pick a cat up by the scruff of the neck; you can cause serious damage.
TEASING YOUR PET, IF ONLY IN PLAY IS OFTEN THE START OF THE PET TURNING INTO AN AGGRESSIVE PET.
Cats homed as indoor cats must NEVER go out. As you will realize a cat does not know it is an indoor cat so if tempted by an open door or window will attempt to go outside. Or we may be tempted to open the door if the cat keeps crying at the door. However we must remember we are the adults and we know the dangers out there, the cats don't. It is also not a good idea to have a harness and lead, many cats have escaped and others have actually hung themselves when left outside alone for a while. Cats homed that are able to go out should be kept in for 2 months and kittens should be kept in for 6 months. NEVER let a cat out once it's dark and don't leave it out during the day while you are out at work or have gone shopping.  Over 100.000 cats go missing each year, dog fighting; the fur trade and research are some of the reasons. If you lose a cat report it missing immediately, this gives a greater chance of getting it back.

HEALTHCARE
Food and water bowls should be washed after each use and never used twice.
It is a good idea to have all cats injected against cat flu and enteritis and for cats that go out for feline leukaemia, at the present time there is no injection for feline aids.
Comb your cat every day, this helps to prevent fur balls and is a vital check for flea.  Please note that it is just as important to worm and flea indoor cats regularly and the best products are only available at your vets .e.g at Carrick vets you can ring and ask for a free nurse check after that you can purchase the best treatments from them. Also the treatments from vets are cost effective as most importantly they work. Check your cats ears on a regular basis for ear mites, untreated they can lead to serious ear damage. FRONTLINE SPRAY LASTS 2 MONTHS AND DRONTAL OR MILBEMAX WORM TABS LAST 3 MONTHS. CATS WITH FLEAS WILL HAVE TAPE WORMS. (it is also necessary to spray the home once a year with something like Staykill.)
Although we always home white cats as indoor cats if you have one from elsewhere and you let it out they MUST as indeed should all cats with white ears/nose have sun block (Sun E45 is non-toxic to cats) put on them before they go out, indoor cats should also have it on if they sit on the window ledges. Cancer due to the sun of the ears and sometimes the nose is common.  If your cat is ill see the vet, all vets are on call 24 hours a day and a timely visit could save your cats life. LEAVING IT TILL TOMORROW COULD BE TOO LATE.

FEEDING
Always leave a bowl of fresh water down, it's not often drunk, but it is there if the cat needs it. Remember milk is a  food not a drink and gives many cats loose motions, as does food served straight from the fridge. Indoor cats benefit from having 1 Halibut Liver Oil capsule once a week.

LITTER TRAYS
Always provide a litter tray irrespective of your cats age even if they are allowed out, if you keep an eye on what your cat is passing, you can spot many problems, e.g, cystitis is very common in cats and needs urgent Veterinary treatment. It is shown up if the cat uses the tray frequently and or, passes blood, something you would never know if you had no tray. We find that the wood pellets are excellent there is no smell of urine whatsoever.

CAT COLLARS
Are considered extremely dangerous. Far better to have a cat  micro chipped, you can either contact your  vet or Elaine 01246 xxxxx  we  have 5 fosterers qualified to microchip.
MANY CAYS HAVE LOST THEIR LIFE  BY WEARING A COLLAR OR THE OWNERS TAKING THEIR CAT OUT ON A HARNESS. PLEASE DON’T USE THEM.

IF YOU FIND WHAT YOU THINK IS A STRAY, PLEASE DON’T WAIT UNTIL IT’S PREGNANT OR IF A MALE IN A BAD WAY UNTIL YOU REPORT IT, PLEASE GIVE US A RING STRAIGHT AWAY AND ASK FOR ADVICE.

RSPCA INSPECTOR 08705555999 IF YOU SUSPECT ANY NEGLECT REMEMBERS WE ARE AN ANIMALS ONLY VOICE. 
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2007, 12:05:09 PM »
The scary thing is, I think a lot of people think it is the proper way to pick a cat up  :(
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2007, 12:00:12 PM »
I know it can cause damage if used often.  Someone came here once and picked up a CP cat by the scruff. I was not too pleased they went on to tell me that their previous cat had neck damage due to them picking it up like that but they still thought that is how it should be done. They didn't get a cat by the way,  sadly they possibly did from someone else. I think sometimes it is necessary to scruff a neck to give medication but of course the cat is not left dangling and it is done as gently as possible.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2007, 11:43:41 AM »
I remember telling someone off for doing this year's ago, they argued that it was the correct way to pick a
Cat up ( I could see the cat chattering with pain >:( ) as far as I know??.......... I explained this to them !!
queen's will do this to Kitten's to move them to a new area or to get them out of Harm's way. and this was
not the correct way for a human to pick them Up !!!
I do know that some rescued Feral's are handled this way but to be honest " I would handle them like that too !! :scared: "
Iether that or a 10ft barge pole :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

Some people though, Poor Cat :( I'd like to pick that person up by the scruff of the neck and see how they liked it >:( >:(
« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 11:47:51 AM by Stuart (Misty's Dad) »
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2007, 11:33:19 AM »
A read an article where they advised "pegging" along a cat's scruff to calm them for giving fluids.

I certainly don't believe in picking cats up by the scruff unless in extreme circumstances, say an injured cat or one that cannot be handled like Billy Whizz but the pegging method is very popular in the CRF circle to give subQ fluids, I guess it's a bit like reflexology for the cat.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2007, 11:22:29 AM »
I believe it to be wrong also. Though there are time when I grab Zubin's scruff to calm him but I have NEVER picked him up by it. Even as a kitten.

Poor cat bless  >:(

A read an article where they advised "pegging" along a cat's scruff to calm them for giving fluids.

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2007, 11:19:36 AM »
I asked a vet about this. It isn't a good idea, because a mother cat instinctually knows where is safe to pick up her kitten by the scruff and do no damage - a human doesn't.

I don't pick my cats up by the scruff and if other people try to I always voice my disapproval.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 11:00:06 AM »
I believe it to be wrong also. Though there are time when I grab Zubin's scruff to calm him but I have NEVER picked him up by it. Even as a kitten.

Poor cat bless  >:(

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 10:18:25 AM »
I think its as she had a shopping bag in the other hand. Would have made more sense to pick the cat up first?  :Crazy:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 10:09:16 AM »
Why would someone want to carry a cat or kitten for that matter by it's scruff if it could be carried any other way?  A mother cat can't carry her young any other way. That's the only reason she does it.  I know I have mentioned I use this technique very occasionally on Billy but it's only for a couple of seconds and well supported with other hand just to get him in carrier. I would of course much prefer another stress free technique if I knew of one for him.  To carry a cat any distance this way is a real no no in my book.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 09:46:56 AM »
Scruffing shouldn't really be done on an adult cat but sometimes it's the only way to get hold of them.  If a cat does have to be held this way, their back end should always be supported to take the weight off.

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 09:35:40 AM »
I thought this was wrong too, isn't it a weight of the cat issue?
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Scruffing adult cats?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 09:30:56 AM »
In the road behind me there is a pay & display car park. There is a house opposite and they have a dog and 2 cats (maybe one now as I haven't seen the young one for a while  :( ) We came back from shopping on Saturday and the lady was unloading her car in the carpark. It was quite cute to see he dog and her persian cat  by the car waiting for her. Then she picked up the cat by its scruff and walked over to the house. The cat didn't seem bothered but I didn't think you should pick adult cats up like this? -The cat is probably 8 to 10 years old.

Link to CatChat