Author Topic: Possible flu..any advice?  (Read 3205 times)

Offline Em

• Distinguished Cat
  • Mollie dog, Charley, Sammy and Seth
    • my blog
Re: Possible flu..any advice?
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2006, 20:25:36 PM »
 :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy:

Fantastic news - and a good excuse to use the dancing banana!!! :evillaugh:
Ah, summer - the season for a daily mouse...

Offline LB

• Kitten
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2006, 18:45:20 PM »
Hi guys

Have put an update of how vets went on the rehoming post, but incase you've not seen it, its all worked out good in the end.  The tests for FeLV and FIV came back negative, and his thyroid levels were normal.  He does seem to have a kidney problem though, and I have some tablets to give him daily.  I've also, thanks to the help of my mum, managed to find Pud a permanent home, from Wednesday.  Its a shame for me, because I'll miss him, but I'm glad he'll be able to get settled somewhere.

And yes, it is Pud as in, Puddy Tat!

LB  :Luv:

Offline Em

• Distinguished Cat
    • my blog
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2006, 16:07:44 PM »
If you think that's cute, you should see him when he's been in a flower - he's black so the pollen shows up beautifully in his fur, and he just sits there sneezing... soo funny.... :rofl: I sometimes have a bath with Eucalyptus or Olbas oil or similar and sit him next to it just to clear his schnozz

Seriously, let us know how it goes with Pud, LB

Offline Beccles

• Distinguished Cat
  • Daphne and Elettra born 18.06.06, Figaro 23.08.07
    • My weblog: Comprehension Dawns
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2006, 13:31:35 PM »
 :Luv: Em that mental image you've just provided of Seb purring at his rats will keep me smiling all afternoon now...

I hope Pud (as in puddytat I suppose?) is feeling better very very soon.
Spaying and neutering saves lives.
Nobody has a right to own a cat. It's a privilege.

Offline Em

• Distinguished Cat
    • my blog
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2006, 13:02:21 PM »
How's Pud doing? It could be an allergy - my boy Seth is allergic to rats, or something to do with rats, he used to sit by the cage and purr lots because he loves them, but then he'd sneeze and sneeze and sneeze - it got a bit better when I changed the bedding to shredded paper instead of sawdust. He also has a mild dust allergy and suffers from hayfever (especially when he's stuck his entire face in a flower and covered it in pollen). It would explain how he can be sneezing but still eating and putting on weight...

Just a suggestion, but if you have a bath you could try putting him on a chair next to it while you're in it, the steam might help soothe his sinuses etc.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2006, 11:16:09 AM »
rrrrrrrrrrrrrr I didn't click it was the same cat, I have offered to care for Pud after 4/1/07  (for a limited amount of time) as I cannot block up a rescue space. But the fact remains that if it was in my area we would pay for a stray to be 'sorted' whether the finder was keeping it or not. I have also offered for Pud to be seen by my vet in Chesterfield this week. Pudd is not too far away.

I am a bit gutted by the name Pud though as we all remember the tale of little Pudding a few weeks ago.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Littlebobo

• Hero Cat
  • Yumi, Moggchops, Mister and Chalky !!!
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2006, 10:56:06 AM »
ahhh i c does that mean that pud does or doesn't have anywhere to go ?....me confuddled
Fuss me Fuss me ..Come on I have things to do like Eating and sleeping !

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2006, 10:30:58 AM »
Its this one unless I have got my cats mixed up

http://www.chaptanservices.com/purrs/index.php?topic=890.0

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2006, 10:29:50 AM »
ummmmmmmm now thats a good question, could be on rescue  :-[

Offline Littlebobo

• Hero Cat
  • Yumi, Moggchops, Mister and Chalky !!!
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2006, 10:24:38 AM »
What is the other thread Gill ...

If this is flu i am sure that there would be other symptons ..like gammy eyes loss of appetite etc ?
Fuss me Fuss me ..Come on I have things to do like Eating and sleeping !

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2006, 10:18:22 AM »
Sorry I think this has got a bit tangled cos I saw another thread which seems to tell more of the story. :-[

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2006, 08:40:29 AM »
Are you intending to keep this cat? Just wondered cos Elas post seems to be on the basis that you are not.

I did say
and be happy if you could keep the cat or at least care for it until we could take it in.
I had put of instead of if before, silly me, whats new?

Only yesterday I have authorized treatment for 2 sick strays and the finders want to keep them ,Yippee (fortunately both are suitable).

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2006, 19:56:58 PM »
I think I was assuming that the vet thought the cat might have flu, as well as a hypertyrhoid problem - but rereading LB's post - I see the cat seems to be gaining weight, which you wouldnt normally see, usually they lose weight. Other symptoms of hyperT to look out for would be diarrhea, huge appetite, anxious appearance, unkempt coat, unable to settle.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2006, 19:40:32 PM »
Are you intending to keep this cat? Just wondered cos Elas post seems to be on the basis that you are not.

I think that sounds far too much for tests, but it does sound like flu or calci virus, presumabley the vet has listened to the cats heart and lungs and they seem OK. Not the sort of symptoms from thyroid.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 16:39:22 PM »
Yes, that does seem like a lot of money for a Thyroid blood test and even if it was together with a swab or blood test for herpes or calici (causes of flu) - still seems a lot.

To be honest I don't know that theres much point in testing for either of the flu viruses, because it doenst really matter which it is, treatment is much the same, most vets prescribe antibiotics. Herpes will likely recur and it often recurs after a course of antibiotics because antibiotics are just suprressing the symptoms (although hopefully getting rid of any secondary bacterial infection) Some people find L-Lysine (an amino acid) helpful, I've found that homeopathy has worked best for my herpes cats.

It would be important to test for hyperthroidism though, as this can have an effect on other organs, such as heart and kidneys if left untreated.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 04:51:25 AM »
I would have a word with your local Cats Protection I know in a case like this our branch would take on the vet bills and be happy if you could keep the cat or at least care for it until we could take it in.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 08:40:49 AM by Ela »

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 22:15:39 PM »
Hi ya,

I think if he is no better it might be time to have some swabs sent off.
What exactly did they want to do for £190 ? That sounds alot of money

I cant see that Thyroid would give flu like symptoms.

Let us know how you get on tomorrow night

Offline LB

• Kitten
Possible flu..any advice?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 18:04:45 PM »
Hi

You may have seen from my post in the Rescue and Rehoming section, that I've taken in a stray cat that is sneezing terrribly.  I am taking him for his third visit to the vet tomorrow night, and wondered if anyone could suggest some questions I should be asking the vet or anything I need to take into consideration.

On his first visit the vet thought he simply had a upper respiratory tract infection and prescribed 1 week of Synulox.  When this made no improvement I took him back and saw a different vet.  This vet mentioned the possibility of flu, a thyroid problem and possibily worse.  I didn't have the money or all the tests at the time (£190) so the vet suggested trying a longer course of antibiotics, and sent me away with a 3 week supply of Baytril.  This course ended at the weekend and he's no better.  He still has sneezing fits and snorts.  He seems fine in himself and is slowly gaining weight, as he was really skinny when I found him.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks   :Luv:

Link to CatChat