Author Topic: Private PM List for items that can't be posted due to content?  (Read 15433 times)

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
Re: Private PM List for items that can't be posted due to content?
« Reply #128 on: November 23, 2007, 15:08:41 PM »
OK hunnies, Staff meeting concluded and here is the thread about amended Guides etc- http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php?topic=9766.0

I will be locking this thread now as we have discussed this all we can. 

Thanks for all your comments and ideas  :hug:

Offline SpecialRed

• Senior Cat
« Reply #127 on: November 23, 2007, 15:01:02 PM »
A warning in the title is the obvious solution.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #126 on: November 18, 2007, 19:45:15 PM »
Michelle you are very right the rescues are special and the reason Purrs is here. Sorry Ela have to disagree with ya  ;)  

Oh dear Ela, you're definitely out numbered on this one :)

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #125 on: November 18, 2007, 19:35:07 PM »
Sorry Tan x

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #124 on: November 18, 2007, 19:30:11 PM »
Hi Michelle & Jas

Please would it be possible for you to pm each other if you would like to discuss this any further. Honestly hunnies it aint helping me to try and sort all this out if ya both keep posting againist each other.  :thanks: :hug:
If anything it was my fault for not explaining the guidelines fully re the upsetting posts so blame me for all this thread. We are def sorting all this out so it wont happen again.  :)

Michelle you are very right the rescues are special and the reason Purrs is here. Sorry Ela have to disagree with ya  ;)  But if we continue to upset each other it will effect the support and fundraising we do for the rescues and i know all members wouldn't want that to happen.

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #123 on: November 18, 2007, 19:24:33 PM »
You are special Ela and never forget it - All of you in rescue are special xxxx

But we in rescue can do nothing without the support of the public.

Yes that is true -
But its not the public that put hours and hours of unpaid work into saving the lifes of animals. Its not the public that spend hours worrying where the next money is coming from. Its not the public who nurse unwell animals back to health
DONT sell yourself short Hun xxx

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #122 on: November 18, 2007, 19:20:36 PM »

But we in rescue can do nothing without the support of the public.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #121 on: November 18, 2007, 19:18:24 PM »
just the the rescues are the reason for the site, and therefore special.

To be honest I am in rescue and don't think I am any more special than anyone else.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #120 on: November 18, 2007, 19:17:16 PM »
just the the rescues are the reason for the site, and therefore special.

To be honest I am in rescue and don't think I am any more special than anyone else.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #119 on: November 18, 2007, 19:02:46 PM »

I was really upset earlier in the week and felt personally attacked by some members,

But it was YOU doing the attacking !

What a strange thing to say, I was merely asking the Mods to make a small modification in the title as per the board's guidelines.

Yes i agree it was a strange thing for you to say ("i felt personally attacked by some members) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thats why i had to comment on it

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #118 on: November 18, 2007, 12:01:50 PM »
We are in progress of sorting out two things with all the staff  and Admins
-one discussing the new 3 things already brought in and a guideline of how to use them to help all members have a choice with any post that maybe upsetting for some.
and two reviewing the moderating guidelines that were put in place a year ago when we 1st opened.

We would want to keep Purrs as free as possible for everyone and not a forum with too many rules!

With so many different personalities with different opinions and sensitivies on any forum and there are bound to be some clashes and so we do have to have some guidelines we all know about and follow.  It's near impossible to please everyone with so many members but we will try our hardest to continue a happy forum. That is the key to raise more money for the needy cats which i am sure you will all agree, is our main purpose of Purrs.

We have had some excellent thoughts and suggestions by members from posts and Pm's concerning the issues and we are looking at all of these. I would welcome via pm any more suggestions of your views, i would be very happy to include these in the staff meeting.  

Please could ya help me while we sort it all out by holding back on any posts re the issues.
This is a good forum and has raised thousands in only a year form all your kindness and love for cats. Please don't let these issues take over the real reason why Purrs is here- To help the cats that have never known love, beaten, lost, hurt, have problems, are ill, etc through the wonderful rescues. To support and help cats to have a happier life through Slave knowledge and to support members through loosing a beloved cat.  

:thanks: :hug:

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #117 on: November 18, 2007, 11:56:16 AM »
I have avoided getting involved in this thread but as I read through latest posts list it seems to be everywhere I have  looked for quite some time.
Without expressing my opinion may I just say as an outsider looking in this comes accross as  people bickering for the sake of causing an arguement with each  wanting the last word.
Please try to be friendly as some of us are being driven away by the nastiness.

Offline Jasmine

• Hero Cat
« Reply #116 on: November 18, 2007, 11:32:49 AM »

I was really upset earlier in the week and felt personally attacked by some members,

What a strange thing to say, I was merely asking the Mods to make a small modification in the title as per the board's guidelines.

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #115 on: November 18, 2007, 11:22:09 AM »
Now lads steady on, lets keep this post civil ( :naughty:if it ever was)

I've just voted for title and symbol which is proving to be the most popular option - though its a shame that more people haven't voted but I feel that those that don't probably aren't that fussed,  in the moderate end (and would go for option 1 anyway).

we are all going to have differing thoughts on this matter and we (tan and the mods) cannot please everyone.
As a rescuer I do like to be kept informed on any relevant cruelty trends and news, I want this info available quickly as I don't have time to search for it and I really don't like buddy lists as I think they tend to become clique and go off track and lifes too short (sorry :-[).

As a humble moderator, being priviliged to be involved and included on this forum, the only realistic option is to go with the majority decision and keep most of the purrs members happy. You cannot cater for every individual member, and I suppose the reality is, if a member is sooooo unhappy with the way things are , then perhaps this is not the forum for them (My own opinion and I'm not targetting anyone as I haven't been keeping up with this thread being as I have no strong opinions on it).

To those who get upset easily, I'm sorry there is a symbol and there should be something in the title.

To everyone else, including the above, if a moderator gets a complaint or 2 and decides to add a cautionary symbol to your thread then there is no reason to get upset and  take it personally.

Please lets remember what a nice place this is to visit and keep sensible. Noone wants to over police the site. I personally love a good argument or two and even when I can't be bothered to join in find some of them thought provoking. I have changed some of the things I do with my cats over the year as a result of some of the more heated threads.

I hope to continue learning and enjoying this place and II hope that everyone else out there feels the same.

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #114 on: November 17, 2007, 19:23:58 PM »

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
  • Alfie, Frankie & Leigh, my boys & me
    • http://www.alfie-cat.co.uk
« Reply #113 on: November 17, 2007, 12:11:07 PM »
No offense taken here, what I meant was that the board is structured through the availability of separate forums to accommodate all types of discussion including the cherished and important work done by rescues and, in this context, would be a logical home to postings regarding such matters whilst the "General Chat" forum is designed for a different purpose else we might as well merge them all together but it makes perfect sense to me to have separate forums for separate genres and that includes postings on cruelty.

Cheers

Leigh
« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 12:12:09 PM by LeighK »
Alfie and Frankie's dad - "Letterbox" are Rockin' the Feline World

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #112 on: November 17, 2007, 12:04:03 PM »
sorry leigh, by primary members I did not intend to indicate a hierarchy of membership, just the the rescues are the reason for the site, and therefore special.

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
« Reply #111 on: November 17, 2007, 11:57:48 AM »
Hi folks,

Please forgive me for posting again regarding this matter but some of the comments posted in connection with this discussion have prompted me to get this off my chest so as to speak. I've always much enjoyed visiting Purrs as, for me,it  offers a refuge from life's miseries and frustrations. I think that  Albert Schweitzer put it much better than I could when he said "There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats" although I might add that conversing on the subject of cats is also a joy. I'm not a "primary" member, I wasn't aware we had "primary" and presumably "secondary", "tertiary" members of Purrs, I thought that we just had "members". As a member of Purrs, I'm happy to comply with the decision of the majority and the poll has been completed by less than 1/2 % of Purrs' 950 odd members. I am also a self-confessed "over sensitive" type, I couldn't change that if I wanted to, I've always been this way, that's the way I'm made, it's as simple as that, I neither wear it as a badge of distinction nor one of shame. We are all bombarded daily via the media with things that we feel strongly about and  feel powerless to do anything about, poverty, violence, cruelty etc. etc. This I think is the crux of the matter, I agree with Stu and others who believe that there is no place for posts on such matters in a "General Cat Chat" forum warning diamonds or no warning diamonds. As Stuart also advocates I'm in favour of grouping posts containing any such content together in a separate forum heading where folks who wish to can peruse them to their hearts delight and leave the "General Cat Chat" forum free of such content where all can visit and enjoy uplifting, amusing and enjoyable and informnative discussion on our favourite subject of cats.

Cheers

Leigh

Offline J (Indoorcatsuk)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #110 on: November 16, 2007, 22:47:08 PM »
I do feel that all members here are adults and can tell, from the opening lines, whether or not they are going to find the content offensive and should take personal responsibility for deciding whether or not to continue reading. Having said that, the poster also has a responsibility to ensure that the title of thread contains sufficient information for that decision to be made in advance by those who might inadvertently open something that contains images that might offend. But given that this is a forum for people involved in rescue, the primary members are more than likely to have seen something far worse in their day to day activities, so unduly heavy censoring for the minority of excessively sensitive people seems to risk stifling debate on matters that warrant discussion.

I totally agree. I *really* do not see the point of a special section myself, and having run forums ( not cat related ) myself for many years, I have found that too much fragmenting isn't a good idea. Just my opinion tho. I don't have the time to go reading thru lots of different sections, I only visit General Cat Chat, and Rainbow Bridge. The whole ' upsetting ' thing itself is a contentious issue, for example, I am perfectly able to read and inform myself about cruelty cases without getting ' upset ' but I find posts that amuse others such as ' the cat that gets picked up in the car ' very disturbing and an RTA waiting to happen, and therefore, upsetting.
A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere. Groucho Marx.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #109 on: November 16, 2007, 21:10:27 PM »
Generally, if you dont like the title dont open it, i dont see the problem with that     

Thats what i just dont understand  :shocked:

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #108 on: November 16, 2007, 18:45:41 PM »
I do feel that all members here are adults and can tell, from the opening lines, whether or not they are going to find the content offensive and should take personal responsibility for deciding whether or not to continue reading. Having said that, the poster also has a responsibility to ensure that the title of thread contains sufficient information for that decision to be made in advance by those who might inadvertently open something that contains images that might offend. But given that this is a forum for people involved in rescue, the primary members are more than likely to have seen something far worse in their day to day activities, so unduly heavy censoring for the minority of excessively sensitive people seems to risk stifling debate on matters that warrant discussion.

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #107 on: November 16, 2007, 17:39:23 PM »
Hi Stu

Yeap we decided to have three things to try and combat this prob with diff views so we have a sep board called Cat welfare and news - (i think i will add in the description that possible upsetting cat welfare and news should be posted here) , we also have a buddy list now so anyone can select that buddie group and pm off the main forum to those that want to hear about possible upsetting posts or news and we have the warning symbol with approprate title guide for possible upsetting posts.

Three things i hoped would give us all a choice and all happy on the forum.

Thanks very much for your sugesstions. I have put them to the staff to discuss.

:Luv: :Luv:

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #106 on: November 16, 2007, 17:28:48 PM »
 :doh: :doh: :doh:
Ok, But I cant See it on the Home page :see:
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #105 on: November 16, 2007, 17:26:46 PM »
There already is a seperate board Stuart!

Theres been no need to use it yet as sparkles post didnt need it and the dog petition is in the correct area. And has a warning next to it. Case solved the way i see it.

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #104 on: November 16, 2007, 17:21:02 PM »
Thank's for your comment's Dawn and MM  ;)
And I do Know that PURR'S Also Help's with Rescue's and Re-Homing Issue's ( I have amended my First Post )
In My First Post I was Just Trying to Emphasize the Fact that "There are Specific Website's out there to Dealing with Such Issues"
And if You were that way inclined, Maybe you could Post Your Concern's on Those Website's !!

Don't know if this has been suggested, But there could Be a separate Index Thread Created on the PURR'S main Page entitled

"Cruelty Post's" or something ??

I.E. General Cat Chat
      Cruelty Post's
      Our Cat Stories
      Rescue Rehoming

etc, etc

And That way It would Remove all Chance of Member's who may be upset or offended by Seeing/Reading Thing's They Dont want To !!

Kind Regards and Respect Stuart

« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 17:21:42 PM by Stuart (Misty's Dad) »

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #103 on: November 16, 2007, 16:22:33 PM »
I agree with MM, I don't go on any other forums or if I do, it's very rarely but I get a lot of stuff through that need public support to put an end to.  Purrs has helped so many animals and not just cats, this is a forum for "animal lovers".  I know it's predominantly about cats but I like to help all animals where I can, and Purrs allows us to do that.  If you look at the voting, a majority of the people on Purrs are quite happy with a warning triangle, this should, in my opinion suffice.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 16:28:34 PM by Dawn (DiddyDawn) »

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #102 on: November 16, 2007, 16:16:54 PM »
As the Forum Name Suggest's it is " Predominantly " for Cat's and is Mainly for Help, Learning, and Fun about our Furbabes!!

Its also about the rescue side of things. For me i dont always like to see things, depends on my mood, but generally it encourages to keep doing what i am. There are days you think why do i bother, until you hear another story of some poor animal and thats why.

Generally, if you dont like the title dont open it, i dont see the problem with that  :-:   :Dont know: :Dont know:

Offline Jasmine

• Hero Cat
« Reply #101 on: November 16, 2007, 15:14:34 PM »
Stuart, I am so pleased to read your post and echo your sentiments entirely.

I was really upset earlier in the week and felt personally attacked by some members, so much so, I didn't join in the birthday celebrations yesterday. I will continue to contribute though, as I may be able to help in future rescues, fund-raising etc, which I think is what this forum is all about.

Jas

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
« Reply #100 on: November 16, 2007, 13:22:51 PM »
Hi Stuart,

I couldn't have put it better myself and agree with your comments 100% and, like yourself, I have also previously messaged the admin to express my feelings and suggestions on how such matters could best be handled. Maybe with the links included iin your posting this thread should now have a warning triangle.

Cheers

Leigh
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 13:27:26 PM by LeighK »

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #99 on: November 16, 2007, 13:16:18 PM »
My Opinion
When Hamish was Diagnosed with CRF, I searched the Internet for something to Help Me, And PURRS Fitted the Bill Perfectly !!!
I cannot Thank everyone Enough for their Help and Support Through Hamish's illness, and for That, I am Most Gratefull !!!!

PERSONALLY I FEEL There in NO REAL REASON for the need of such Post's of ANIMAL CRUELTY to be posted on PURRS !!
As the Forum Name Suggest's it is " Predominantly " for Cat's and is Mainly for People to Get Help with Problem's with their Cat's,
Gain Knowledge about Illnesses & Behaviour, For Rescues, And Re-Homing etc,etc and of Course to be an enjoyable experiance
for It's Member's !!
We Do have an Excellent Cat Community Here and I " for one " would Like to Keep it that way!!

I know some of You have Very Strong Opinion's about animal Cruelty and are Very Passionate about the Subject, But I think
There is a "Time and a Place" and I Feel PURRS is not IT!!!

Recently there Have been Personal attack's on Admin's and Moderator's on PURRS about the censoring of such Topic's
This in turn is Giving a Feeling, as if a wave of animosity was going through the Forum, "And I don't Like it"
I Know it can't Be easy for the Admin's and Mod's to keep EVERYONE Happy, But I feel they are dealing with a situation
We can All Do Without, I know this may sound a Bit Harsh and Unfeeling, But WE ALL KNOW IT GO'S ON, And Certain
Member's on PURR'S do NOT Like to be Reminded of Such Thing's!!
I Have Also E-mailed The Admin's and Moderator's with some suggestion's on How they could maybe combat such post's

I Have Been A Vegetarian Since 1990, And I Too Feel Very Strongly About These Thing's, But I Refrain From Preaching IT!!
As I Know a Lot of People Have their Own View's on That Subject!!
And I can Just Imagine The Responses I'd Get if I'd put a Post up Depicting in Graphic Detail of what Goes on in the Abattoirs
I have done a quick search of the Net, and have found "For those that May Be Interested" a Few site's for your Consideration!!

Thanks for the Tip Leigh,

" WARNING, FOLLOWING LINK'S MAY OFFEND!!! "

http://www.arkangelweb.org/links.php
http://www.faace.co.uk/harecours.htm
http://www.catster.com/group/Against_animal_cruelty-599
http://www.animalconcerns.org/
http://www.animalsuffering.com/forum/login.php?redirect=index.php&f=39&sid=926ab4bd71b6a33e20b81659852451a1
http://bubl.ac.uk/link/a/animalrights.htm
http://jedi-hobbit.net/ala/   "WARNING, GRAPHIC PICTURE ON PAGE"
http://www.headsup.org.uk/content/default.asp?page=s4_3_16

I Do Not Want Member's who Feel Strongly about Such Topic's to Leave PURR'S, But I Feel, that if People Feel That Strongly
about such Topic's, then Those People Should Maybe Post Them There !!!

Regards Stuart.........

P.S. I will Still Gladly Sign any Petition's that are posted on PURR'S (As I have Done in the Past)

« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 16:54:21 PM by Stuart (Misty's Dad) »

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #98 on: November 06, 2007, 11:03:24 AM »
 ;)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #97 on: November 06, 2007, 11:01:23 AM »
Oh my the red team may have 3, 4 if you include Lexy.......................you didnt know bout that then  :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #96 on: November 06, 2007, 07:31:16 AM »
Hotel gave me a deal on in room deals, including the "inturnets" so guess what.. I may just be able to make the quiz  :naughty:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #95 on: November 06, 2007, 00:17:29 AM »
Ummmmmmmmmmmm I thought you were offline while away........or didnt you actually take off  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #94 on: November 05, 2007, 23:09:20 PM »
:rofl: at the kitty mod. I figures I can use that as avatar (says Lexy!) ;)

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #93 on: November 05, 2007, 23:06:16 PM »
:rofl:

They had that image on "Whose Line is It" tonight
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #92 on: November 05, 2007, 22:06:29 PM »
I just adore that moderator Kitty................its a bit like Lexy I think  ;D

ccmacey

« Reply #91 on: November 05, 2007, 18:49:23 PM »
I dont think things should be shielded from peoples eyes, they have a choice to look or not.

I dont mind factual things like what Mark posted or video's of cats that make me laugh. What I dont like is video's of cats that show them getting hurt (in my eyes) and I'm pretty sure no-one has ever posted anything like that before this.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #90 on: November 05, 2007, 17:41:38 PM »
 :rofl: MillysMum!

I love the look on moderator kittens face  :rofl:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #89 on: November 05, 2007, 17:38:35 PM »
 :rofl:

Link to CatChat