Author Topic: much needed Advice!!  (Read 3989 times)

Offline michelle_b

• Adult Cat
  • Molly & Maisey
Re: much needed Advice!!
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2006, 23:29:01 PM »
Igloos/covered cat litters with door flaps are good at reducing some smells. When we introduced a covered litter we started with just the base and then added the top and then finally added the door flap and had no trouble getting them to use it. We had a problem with our kitten Maisey pooping on the floor, we seem to have sorted that out by sprinkling the litter with bob martin litter freshener everyday and scooping it whenever they use it. We are currently trying to switch to clumping cat litter but haven't started yet so will have to see how that goes.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2006, 23:19:48 PM »
If he doesn't like the current covered litter tray, I wouldn't spend money on a second, I woudl just get a normal tray. Cats should have their food split into at least 2 meals a day, it isn't natural for them to eat one big meal - I looked into Burns, but the grain content was too high so I now feed HiLife (same price as Burns where I live) and JWB.
Please spay your cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2006, 16:58:30 PM »
Burns food does have a lot of grain in it, so he could either be intolerant to it or overfeeding as you said, do you just feed him dry food? Wet food helps fill them up with a lot less calories than dry.

An igloo is a type of bed!? ;D

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2006, 16:09:20 PM »
Welcome to Purrs in our Hearts, we only migrated to hear yesterday or wa it day before and as you can see we are doing really great :)

I thought when you said Good Day you were an Aussie but dont know where Merchant City is, then you mentioned scottish language and now I confused LOL.

I think you need to have more litter tray and yes some cats can punish their slave!

Dont know any thing bout igloo litter trays but certainly covered ones can be very good if they are big enough for your cat to use. My big Misa doesnt fit in one and some cats will only use them if you take the door off cos they dont like being in such a small space when attending to their business .

Offline Christi

• Kitten
  • Katie & Bruge
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2006, 12:35:14 PM »
Im going to get another tray, probably another igloo... does anyone know how to get a cat to use a igloo? Is it even called a igloo or did i make it up?

I try and close my bedroom door but i often forget as i am a dizzy moo. I do try him with different foods and they all make it smell.... the smell actually has the ability to wake me up during the night.

Offline Christi

• Kitten
  • Katie & Bruge
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2006, 12:29:29 PM »
Bruge has runny poo's normally but he always has and the vet says its because he eats too much. She i try and give him one big meal a day and it normally fixes it. How do you keep your house smelling fresh? I hate coming in from work with friends when i know that bruge and Katie have been having a rare old time in their cat litter tray!

Bruge has always had a pee on my things, i think he is a needy cat and i think its his way of getting back at me when i don't give him a cuddle at 4am when he decides to wake me up with his wet nose in my face... i normally point him in the direction of something like a wall so he can give himself a wee clap off of that, normally does the trick.

I have moved  a month ago........ its all making sense now.. Oh and i also changed there cat letter to the pellets......

I will get some pics of Bruge on here aswell, hes a beauty.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2006, 12:27:12 PM »
Hi Christi

I second (third or whatever) getting another litter tray. ?I manage with 1 for 2 cats and they are fine with that, but it is recommended that you have 1 per cat plus 1 so extra litter tray may be worth trying - got to be better than cat wee on your pillows! ?Sift furnishings like pillows and duvets are popluar for cats weeing on them - dont' know why but probably because they like the feel of them. ?You might need to stop leaving them on the floor or shut the cats out of the bedroom.

Have you tried feliway? ?If your older cat is stressed due the new kitten that might help.

re the smelly poos - I've found that different foods affect the smelliness of the poo. ?And it's not necessarily a case of poor quality foods causing smells - it seems to depend on the cats. ?Jaffa gets stinky poos if he eats Hills. ?Maybe try a different food - eg James Wellbeloved - for a while to see if it makes a difference.

Offline Christi

• Kitten
  • Katie & Bruge
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2006, 12:23:37 PM »
chrisleitz , Bruge has always been this way.

Katie and him get on very well, he is the boss of her and gives her a wee kicking when she gets out fo hand! They both love play fighting.

Offline Christi

• Kitten
  • Katie & Bruge
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2006, 12:21:08 PM »
I normally use wood pellety type things and im constantly sorting the tray out making sure it has no jobbies (scottish language for poop) in it! I will get another tray and dedicate the flat to cat litter trays! Can't actually wait! Thank you for help though, its very very much appreciated!  :D

Offline Littlebobo

• Hero Cat
  • Yumi, Moggchops, Mister and Chalky !!!
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2006, 12:18:55 PM »
Welcome Christi ..

With regards to pooing constantly mine goe about 3 times a day and i have 4 of the little blighters so plenty of scooping is required but think this is just a good thing to be honest as long as it is always solid or not a funny colour ..if you are concerned talk to your vet ..with regards to the weeing are they weeing on certain objects or just the floor ..sometimes cats do this as they dont like the type of litter or are stressed in some way have you changed litter or had any changes in the house recently ?

Looking forward to pics of your furbabes :)
Fuss me Fuss me ..Come on I have things to do like Eating and sleeping !

Offline chrisleitz

• Senior Cat
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2006, 12:07:57 PM »
Christi,
has this behaviour only started since you got Katie?  How are they getting along?
Best wishes, Chris, Samson, Buddie and Pepper

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2006, 12:07:03 PM »
I am sorry to say that you really do need at least one more tray preferably two and experiment with litter types. Corn and Danish pink litters are usually very effective when there are problems.
More trays and different litter really could see the end of all your problems.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Christi

• Kitten
  • Katie & Bruge
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 11:55:15 AM »
I have the one litter tray but would like to avoid getting more than that due to my flat being so small. Bruge (Old man) uses the litter tray, but i normally leave things on the floor like pillows and i come in from work and he has done a wee on it. I have a covered litter tray but i can't train him to use it with the lid on so its just a normal cat tray most of the time. I normally use an anti bacterial spray but i will try thr surgical spirit and the essence as that might stop him. I have taken bruge to the vets twice for a check up, i fell with him being that bit older that i need to keep an eye on him. I lost my cat (Misha) a few years ago to Kidney failure and i want to be on top of it if it happens to brugbrug. I will google the homeopathic vets in Glasgow just now as i really want him to be a happy chappy and not wee on my stuff!! I can't shout at Bruge and Kate, Im soooo under he thumb.

thank you for your advise.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 11:48:37 AM »
We too are all very new to this site, but you I am sure are very welcome.

Do you have more than 1 litter tray? and are they covered, perhaps the cats insecure. Some cats don't like to weeeee/poo in the same tray. Have you tried a different type of litter?  Wipe everywhere they have peeed/poooood with surgical spirit. Pure orange or lemon essence sometimes helps and the house smells nice too, it is available in  quality food shops. Have you had the cats examined by a vet to ensure that there are no underlying problems? If you see a Homoeopathic vet they may prescribe something like rescue Remedy. Sometimes you need to start the training all over again and have a few trays in room and restrict the cats to that room. Most important is that you do not shout at the cats as very often stress causes inappropriate behaviour
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Christi

• Kitten
  • Katie & Bruge
much needed Advice!!
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 11:35:55 AM »
Good day to you all!

I am very new to this site and i thought i would try and track down some much needed advice on my cats believe it or not!

Let me introduce my cats first of all...

Bruge - I got bruge about 2 years ago. I went to a lovely lady called Katrina, she rehomes alot of cats from her own home in Dalserf. Bruge is probably the biggest cat i have ever met, he is a proud long grey haired cat with white boots and bib, he also does the stinkiest poops that stink out my flat. Oh and he is also about 10 years old. I went to get a kitten and i came back with a middle aged lion!

Katie - She is a fiesty little torag that i got again from Katrina, she called me about 4 months ago to let me know she had a long haired kitten and if i wanted her then i could. When i went to see the kitten she was in a room filled with kittens and Katie just stood out to me, she was slightly older and was handed to Katrina as she got flees and her owner didn't want her anymore. She has a fantastic life with me knocking things over attacking my face whilst im sleeping and the occasional cuddle.

Anyways!! Back to the point.

I can not leave anything on the floor, as one of my kittys love to wee on it. Mainly the older one. Can i stop this and why is it happening?

also, the two of them poo constantly... am i feeding them too much? I have been feeding them Burn's dry food and it looked healthy...

Oh and how do i train my middleaged cat Bruge how to use his igloo cat tray!

Sorry for being a pest but im trying to make my home have more peace and harmony!

Much obliged,

Christi

Link to CatChat