Author Topic: Sokoke cats anyone?  (Read 7564 times)

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
Re: Sokoke cats anyone?
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2007, 19:52:46 PM »
that was certainly my personal experience as well as that of all the breeders with whom I mixed in Tas. There is also special food supplements for the queens prior to breeding, during pregnancy, while lactating, the list is endless... I think I made what in economic circles is known as a negative profit :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Linda (Bengalbabe)

• Hero Cat
  • Gayzette Minerva
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2007, 14:41:34 PM »
Agree Susanne. 
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 14:42:34 PM by Linda (Bengalbabe) »

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2007, 14:13:20 PM »
Quote from: furbabystar (Michelle) link=topic=8366.msg133666#msg133666
If you have say 5 or 6 kittens from a litter and charge £400 a kitten you cant tell me you wouldnt make a profit

Very rarely.  As well as stud fees, there are fees for various blood tests, certificate of mating, certificate of entirety, vet fees during pregnancy, worming, flea treatment and vaccinations for all kittens, advertising and lots of small administrative fees.  That's if everything goes without complications.  And as Gillian says, 5 or 6 kittens isn't the norm.  It's quite common to have fewer (Somalis are usually 2-4).  Then there's the cost of showing which goes hand in hand with breeding.  Take my word for it that reputable breeders to not make money out of it.  They may make a small profit on one litter but that will invariably be lost with the next.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2007, 13:34:30 PM »
going to disagree there BC  :evillaugh:
If you have say 5 or 6 kittens from a litter and charge £400 a kitten you cant tell me you wouldnt make a profit

But actually many pedigree breeds don't have large litters, often just 1 or 2 in a litter. If breeders don't have their own stud cat, stud fees are around £100. The kittens are kept at least till 3 months old, sometimes longer, so there's their food and litter, worming and flea treatments up to that time, then vaccinations before they go to their new home. Not condoning backyard breeders of course, who probably wouldnt bother with the worming, vacs etc, but there isnt a huge proft to be made by reputable breeders.  :)

Offline carl (billy and baggys dad)

• Distinguished Cat
  • King Bilbo & Mr Baggins' dad and loyal servant
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2007, 12:24:33 PM »
But With all the unwanted cats in the world it does anger me that a new breed has been started.
I dont agree with breeding anyway......If people stopped breeding it would give the rescue centres a chance to rehome alot of cats and would also stop so many cats being PTS

I'm inclined to agree witth Michelle there m'self.
From out of nowhere you came strong as stone
And now I'll never have to be alone
What it is I know
You have always been my safe home

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2007, 12:16:43 PM »
I've never known a scrupulous breeder who actually made money from it. Any potential profit is usually expended in vet bills, food bills and facilities :rofl: :rofl:

going to disagree there BC  :evillaugh:

Offline lilycat

• Senior Cat
  • Lilycat
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2007, 11:49:42 AM »
They're certainly beautiful but I'll stick with my moggie rescues ta  ;D

The whole thing about breeding and breed standards always worries me - so many 'pedigree' animals end up with health problems.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2007, 10:48:24 AM »
I saw that a gennet was involved somewhere with this cats genetic make up.

I read that as Gannet and thought  :what:   :stupid:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2007, 10:09:19 AM »
I saw that a gennet was involved somewhere with this cats genetic make up. They are most definately wild cats - I saw one on the reserve I went to in SA a few years ago. Can't imagine it being happy in a house!

Still think they're stunning, though.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2007, 09:01:13 AM »
.....they are wild cats from a remote rainforest.This is to maintain the genetic variety as they are endangered in the wild....

If this description is entirely accurate these cats should be in conservation zoos with the right heating and environment, not paraded around. Just my opinion. :shy:

I'll keep my house toasty warm then they can all come live with me.

Or I can go live in a zoo... either way ;)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2007, 07:36:34 AM »
I've never known a scrupulous breeder who actually made money from it. Any potential profit is usually expended in vet bills, food bills and facilities :rofl: :rofl:

That's true.  Breeding is an expensive hobby and anyone doing it right loses money rather than makes it. 

re the sokoke cats, I do have reservations myself, but as to being wild cats - they're wild as in feral.  Not wild like the Asian Leopard cat that was used to create the Bengal breed.  They are believed to be a result of domestic cats from European settlers mixing with native kenyan cats and have lived in a particular area of Kenya for hundreds of years.  They aren't a man made breed, they do already exist.  By which I mean someone hasn't taken an existing breed or a wild cat and crossed it with something else to create something new.  Obviously, creating a breed standard and giving them a name is what 'makes' a breed, but the cats themselves have existed for a long time.

Gill -are you going by the pic I posted when you say they look out of proportion?  The pics in Cat World are probably better than those on that site and show a very moderate cat - nothing out of proportion.  In fact, my main criticism would be that they are very similar to existing cats - they look a bit like a cross between bengals and moggies.  Tending towards the slender side (more slender than a bengal) but nothing extreme.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 08:06:37 AM by Susanne (urbantigers) »

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2007, 06:52:05 AM »

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2007, 23:39:43 PM »
I like them, love their big ears !

But With all the unwanted cats in the world it does anger me that a new breed has been started.
I dont agree with breeding anyway......If people stopped breeding it would give the rescue centres a chance to rehome alot of cats and would also stop so many cats being PTS
Sorry but i think breeding is selfish and a money maker - so there  :P :P

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2007, 23:05:26 PM »
If this description is entirely accurate these cats should be in conservation zoos with the right heating and environment, not paraded around. Just my opinion. :shy:

my feelings exactly JS

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2007, 23:04:51 PM »
BY out of proportion , I meant they seem to have very long necks and long gangly legs. Their heads are very round and cute but I dont like the overall look,

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2007, 23:00:29 PM »
My interpetation is that there will actually now be "other" blood in there aswell since i am near positive back in the 70's in africa they didnt routinely neuter or prevent breeding between the moggies and this breed that is spoken of.

However the cat is as nice as most cats are, personally for me i can see the differences from a moggy but dont find then too obvious so they dont steal my eye the way an early gen savannah would  :sneaky:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2007, 22:13:50 PM »
.....they are wild cats from a remote rainforest.This is to maintain the genetic variety as they are endangered in the wild....

Offline Ellie

• Super Cat
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2007, 20:44:58 PM »
They are a very attractive cat - bit like a bengal but not, if you get what I mean ...

Exactly what I thought  :shify:

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2007, 20:23:48 PM »
have just googled them and they are not domestic moggies, or even outcrosses, they are wild cats from a remote rainforest. They also have no undercoat so would need to be an indoor cat in Britain I would think as they will not be able to tolerate the climate. They are stunningly attractive though. The site says that it is desirable to maintain them as breeding animals, so not your average pet. This is to maintain the genetic variety as they are endangered in the wild.... Might be a sales pitch to make them more desirable though  :'(

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2007, 20:18:56 PM »
I think they are gorgeous but will just be a status symbol. I can't really celebrate a new breed as it means even more overlooked moggies  :(
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2007, 19:37:53 PM »
I put a link about these guys on the "survey for you" thread a few days ago! I think they're lovely. :)

Gill, by out of proportion do you mean lanky? I don't think new breeds are specifically required but sadly human nature means we'll keep interfering anyway! At least these don't have any visible signs of physical traits that could cause the cat problems.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 19:41:00 PM by JackSpratt »

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2007, 18:49:46 PM »
They are a very attractive cat - bit like a bengal but not, if you get what I mean ...

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2007, 18:32:53 PM »
 :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Ralph's mum (angie)

• Super Cat
  • Rainbow Bridge Babies Bob, Max and Ralph 🌈💔
  • Slave to: Harvey and Ruby the mutts!!
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 18:31:42 PM »
 :Luv: :Luv: :Luv: I think I could get to love these, they are beautiful.........well ugly beautiful if you get what I mean  :rofl:
Cats don't come when they are called,
They take a message and get back to you later.
                           Wilfred P. Lampton

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 18:25:59 PM »
I dont like their look much, they seem all out of proportion. Also I do not think we need any new breeds!

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 17:17:42 PM »
What a beautiful breed  :Luv:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 14:06:40 PM »
Oh they're very striking. I love the names they've given the kittens.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Sokoke cats anyone?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 13:48:25 PM »
New breed of cat origninating in Africa - the newest breed to be imported into this country and still very rare (only 4 adults in this country, apparently).  Feature in Nov cat world mag.

I think I like them  ;D

http://www.sokoke-cats.co.uk/

edited to add pic
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 15:39:55 PM by Susanne (urbantigers) »

Link to CatChat