Author Topic: Home with 1 cat vs. 2 cats?  (Read 3191 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Home with 1 cat vs. 2 cats?
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2007, 16:41:08 PM »
What a wonderful ending  ;D ;D

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2007, 15:03:36 PM »
Thanks Stu and Lucy!!  I think all Miu needed some TLC and peace, we talked to Anto this morning and said she has adjusted herself very well and quickly.  We do dinners together every once in a while, so I am looking forward to going there again and see how she's doing!!

And yes... now I have to think about Oliver's playmate!! ;D

Offline lucy

• Hero Cat
  • Xanthe
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2007, 14:47:37 PM »
What a lovely ending. So when is your cat number 2 coming?! :evillaugh:

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2007, 14:38:37 PM »
Awwwww I love Happy Ending's :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:

Sound's Like she's going to a good Home :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2007, 14:33:11 PM »
Desley, I actually thought about it!!  But couldn't do it... yesterday Miu went home with Antonella, Cristiano's cousin.  Amazingly she came straight over to her upon meeting, as shy as she was, she let herself cuddled by Antonella and her husband Enzo, and started purring. :wow:  We are all so happy that Miu finally found a loving family that she deserves, and equally happy for Antonella, who remained so sad after Bru-bru (her siamese) passed away this past spring.  Almost immediately Miu put on her face a big sunshine!!  So everything turned out all good in the end!! :Luv:
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 14:39:50 PM by dolcetta46 »

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2007, 21:09:51 PM »
Just to slightly play Devil's advocate here, would it not be an idea to suggest you have Miu as she is related to yours, and therefore intros might be easier, and they get a different kitty?
Please spay your cat

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2007, 18:01:09 PM »
Thanks again everyone, I am happy that Miu can finally go to a permanent home with plenty of love that she deserves.  From what Devi (her meowmy) told me she was so lonely and afraid she was deteriorating day by day, and the saving call came just in time.  We will think about Oliver's playmate, especially now I serously gave a thought about it... he does love to play a lot and he needs that to keep himself in shape!! :)

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2007, 17:13:22 PM »
Yes def agree two babes esp kittens that are house cats too really are better and most Rescues now will only home kittens together. The way the play and are fantasic company for each other.  You will love watching their antics :)  Honestly two are much less work to entertain, they are happier and you too  ;D ;)

My two 4 months olds are like brothers, playing sleeping and spending so much time together  ;D They are not from same litter but they got on straight away being so young still. The sooner the better to introduce another kitten i say :)

ccmacey

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2007, 16:56:35 PM »
Every house needs a cat and every cat needs a play mate.  ;)

I would like another little ball of fur and I already have 4  ;D

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2007, 16:51:13 PM »
I am so pleased tha Mui is gonna get a great home and yes you should feel pleased , although I guess tinged with sadness cos of Ollie and Mui  :hug: :hug:

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2007, 10:39:35 AM »
Thank you so much everyone for your support!!  You guys just assured my thoughts all about it!! ;D  Well, as it turned out yet another case of "Murphy's Law", just when I was about to make up my mind.... Cristiano got in very very late yesterday tired and stressed, so I didn't say anything yet, well this morning... what does happen?  The cousin of Cristiano rang us and told us she wanted to see Miu!! :wow:  I had Emailed her asking about the whole thing more than a week ago (Cris was supposed to talk to her but he kept forgetting, so I took care of it by myself, even though we don't know each other THAT well), and didn't hear anything from her.  She lost her beloved 16 year old Siamese several months ago, and had been in deep mourning ever since, I was beginning to be afraid I might have been disrespectful and offended her. Well she was the first person I thought of when the problem with Miu arose, and I KNOW she and her husband would provide a wonderful home for her.  I am, of course a wee bit, um, I shouldn't say disappointed, but... you know what I mean... as the prospect of the reunion between brother and sister was getting real in my mind. 
We all will go together to Miu's place next Sunday.  I just talked to her meowmy and needless to say she is over the moon!! :)

But from all your suggestions, I WILL think about a playmate for Ollie sooner or later, and discuss the possibility with Cris.  There are always plenty of moggies who need a home!!  In any case I take a bit of satisfaction in having contributed just a wee bit in finding a home for Miu.  Thanks again everyone for your help and support!!  You guys are brilliant!! :grouphug:

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2007, 01:06:23 AM »
Ooh tell your partner Miu needs her brother :Luv:, but i really think having two cats is really good idea, you feed them at the same time and they can use the same tray.You just have to see if you can offord the vet bills? One bedroom flat is big enough for two human and two kittys,and more ;D,please let us know once you have her ;)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2007, 00:28:17 AM »
I had one cat and when she went to the Bridge I was so heartbroken without a cat I decided to get a pair to keep me company.

I dont think two are much more trouble than one as long as you can afford two of everything  ;D

I now have  4 cats as a pair of brothers joined us about 8 months later and whereas two were fine, 4 are much more problem!

I think as they are so young the two of them will be friends again quickly although may not remember each other to start with.  ;D

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2007, 00:11:33 AM »
I agree with Helen, 2 IS easier than 1 !

I honestly think you really wont notice having another cat and you wont notice the difference in food bill either i promise.
Truthly, it will be nicer for Ollie and kinder as he is an indoor cat

Heres my plea to Cristiano -

please please please please please please please please GO AND GET THE OTHER CAT kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2007, 23:49:45 PM »
Tell him that two is actually less work than one as they will entertain each other instead of getting up to mischief if they are alone and bored  :evillaugh:  One thing to consider though is that Oliver would need neutering ASAP if his sister comes to live with him.

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2007, 23:45:32 PM »
Thanks everyone!!  I think Ollie would appreciate a playmate, as much as I play with him he is used to be around his siblings and may be missing interaction with his "peers".  And it couldn't be better a companion than his own Miu, so I think I am going to let Cristiano read this thread...;D

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2007, 23:40:31 PM »
I vote for 2 if you've considered the financial implications etc.  I'm in a one bed flat and I have 2 cats (and just one litter tray).  If cats don't go outside they don't get any opportunities to be social with other cats so it's nice if they can have a furry friend indoors. 

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2007, 23:16:59 PM »
ok here goes -
I have got ELEVEN cats  :wow:

Go and get her !!
The sooner they are back together the better  :evillaugh:

Good luck - let us know when she is back home with you xxxxxx

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2007, 23:01:37 PM »
I vote two  :wow:  If they've only been apart 3 weeks or so I think they might well remember each other, even if they don't integrating them at such a young age should be easy.  If you think having Oliver is good fun, wait til you have two  :Luv:

Offline lucy

• Hero Cat
  • Xanthe
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2007, 22:37:27 PM »
The more the merrier!  :evillaugh:

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2007, 22:23:56 PM »
Thanks Stu, that was exactly the sort of encouragement/reinforcement I was wishing for!! ;) ;)
Ollie is an extremely loving boy, and himself a bit on a shy side to strangers.  And he was also used to the presence of mean grown up cats too.  So the optimistic side of me insists that their reunion should be all good :innocent:

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2007, 22:17:51 PM »
For the last 10 years I have lived in a 2nd floor flat with a Busy road outside too (Hence My two were House Cat's)
I have recently Lost My Hamish to CRF :'( and only have Misty now.
But I can tell you that It IS Better to have two cats than only one, as they are Great company for one another
especially if you are out working all day, I used to work 12hr shift's >:(
I only ever needed one litter tray (I did try two but the both of them would still use the same one, they were'nt fussy :wow:)
It just meant I had to keep a close eye on it and had to clean it out more regularly...
Although Cats have an excellent memory, I would doubt that Oliver and Miu would remember one another, as Bertie's
Mum has said, you may have some work as they may both be strange, but then again they might be Ok ;)
Might be a small bit of extra work, but i thought serving my 2 furry Master's was easier than serving one, Also more
enjoyable and rewarding  ;D ;D ;D !!!

I hope this Help's and good luck with your decision ;)

Only 3 week's :wow: !!!! It may be easier than You think :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 22:45:41 PM by Stuart (Misty's Dad) »
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2007, 22:07:11 PM »
Yey, that's what I thought... from what her meowmy told me she is now an extremely timid, scaredy little thing.  I do think Oliver's presence will really help her get over it.  If Cristiano is reluctant, I could also propose the idea of a foster home for Miu, so at least we can give a bit of tranquility, peace and TLC until she finds a permanent home.  And maybe just maybe, seeing how Oliver has grown on him, he may actually agree to keep her for good... well that is an ideal scenario for the moment... ;D
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 22:08:45 PM by dolcetta46 »

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2007, 21:59:09 PM »
I agree with all of you, if they are apart for too long, that may be a problem, so I don't really want to wait around too much longer if I will make this decision.  I would have thought 3 weeks wouldn't be so much after sharing a life for 5 months... what do you guys think?

Ah, if its only 3 weeks that sounds as though it could be quite promising, and they are still kittens, so much more adaptable.  ;D

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2007, 21:57:01 PM »
I agree with all of you, if they are apart for too long, that may be a problem, so I don't really want to wait around too much longer if I will make this decision.  I would have thought 3 weeks wouldn't be so much after sharing a life for 5 months... what do you guys think?

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2007, 21:54:14 PM »
Ooooh, they look like they were meant to be together   ;)

I think as long as you have enough resources for each cat - you know, like litter trays, food bowls, water bowls, scratchy posts, climbing frames, beds - and of course, love and attention  ;D then I wouldnt have thought one more would be too much of a problem. How long is it since they've been together? The only potential problem may be that if its been a while, they may see each other as strangers, and you may have to be careful with the intros, on the other hand they may greet each other like long lost friends - but I'm sure you'd be able to judge which way it might go.

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 21:52:51 PM »
Thanks for responding BC, our bathroom is reasonably spacious, almost 2m. x 3m. (or about 6,5ft x 10 ft)
They have been apart for 3 and half weeks now.  They are now 5 months old.  Do you think that will be too much time away?

Offline tez2384

• Senior Cat
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 21:49:40 PM »
Not sure if this will really help but up untill 2 weeks ago i only had a 1 year old cat and then i got 2 11 week old kittens (now 13 weeks old) at the moment we live in a small bungalow with them and everythings fine they have the whole house to rome around and the oldest one goes outside for a little while each day, Very soon i wil be moving into a flat as this bungalow was only for short rent and all 3 of them will come with me and i think all will be fine they have 2 litter trays atm and all there bowls etc are in the kitchen.

I will get them a cat tree once i am in my new flat as i dont want to get one before i move because i will have to dismantel it  :rofl:

Goodluck in whatever you decide to do  ;D

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 21:48:57 PM »
BC is right - I'm not sure they will remember each other if they've been apart for a while.  My brother had two cats from the same litter but adopted them nine months apart and had to do the usual work to introduce two strange cats to each other as they clearly had no memory of each other.  Having said that, two cats make great company for each other - I've always had two (well, until recently - now I have three!) and it's always worked really well.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 21:45:51 PM »
aw, she is very sweet but that bond they had might have been broken if they have been apart for a while. Two cats means two litter trays - how big is your bathroom? It would be good company for Oliver though.

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
Home with 1 cat vs. 2 cats?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 21:40:03 PM »
Well I would like a bit of insight and advice from more experienced folks with multiple cats in the household...  Oliver has a sister Miu, still with her original meowmy.  Despite being a gorgeous sweet calico and her meowmy trying so very hard, she can't find a home.  She can't stay with her meowmy because there are many adult cats already in the household, and they don't accept her and being mean, so the naturally shy, timid poor girl is getting more and more introverted.  It really breaks my heart seeing the notice for her every day and the desperate appeal from the meowmy.  It is getting more and more tempting for me to bring her home as well, that will make Oliver very happy too, not to mention Miu, as they used to be very close and were together all the time.

However I had to work hard convincing my partner Cristiano that we needed A cat in our household, though he does like cats alright and getting attached to Oliver day by day, I am not sure asking about yet another cat in the house may not be too much of a push.  I only have an experience with one cat in the house, and our flat is not THAT big, with only one bathroom.  They will be exclusively indoor cats as well, as we live in the 3rd floor in the middle of busy and crazy central Rome.  Will extra cat in a flat present a lot of difference from having just one cat?  What possible additional precautions should be expected?  Any input will be greatly appreciated, as I would hate to make an unreasonable demand to my partner, and yet if it will be a good decision for everyone involved, I would be so happy about it.

Oliver (L) and Miu

Link to CatChat