Author Topic: moving house....  (Read 2002 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: moving house....
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2007, 19:57:41 PM »
I wouldnt reccomend a harness, if she were to bolt she wouldnt know where she is.
A microchip is always a good thing, even more so when your moving house.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2007, 19:44:33 PM »
Good luck and we need to see pictures of course  ;D

Offline Christina

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2007, 16:31:40 PM »
hi. we are moving thirty miles away so i dont think there will be a chance of her trying to get home to her old house! ok, thanks for teh advice i will keep her in for a couple of weeks. i have got a cat lead, so i may take her out on the that for afew weeks so she can explore the area outside, but i know she is still safe and cant get lost as ill be with her.
That is a good idea about the litter. I will definatley put some out by the front door when i let her out alone for the first time to help her smell her way back and so she knows where her front door is!
im just on my way to pick her up today so i hope she is happy in her new home! thanks for the advcie.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2007, 19:03:13 PM »
Like Gill says, if you are not moving far, keep them in as long as possible. Many years ago, me and my lot moved half a mile down the road. I went away for a couple of days several months later leaving them locked in a shed with family coming to feed and water them. But they let themselves out, and strolled across a four lane highway, across a few paddocks and into my old house. Fortunately my parents were living there, so rather than return them, they just let them take up residence until my return ... Cats are creatures of habit and know their familar territory very well indeed.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2007, 17:53:22 PM »
Like the others say, definately keep her in for 2 weeks or longer if possible so she understands this is her new home  ;D

Have you moved far cos if you are close it will be wise to keep her in as long as possible.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 17:13:23 PM »
So really if you keep her in from 2-4 weeks (put butter on her paws so she can lick it off) old wives tale that seems to work!

Even though your cat likes the outside im sure there will be enough in a new house to keep her occupied in that time...even if she whinges at the door dont give in until time...she dos'nt know whats out there  ;)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 16:55:59 PM »
If you can manage 4 weeks inside, even better. If she isnt already then i would get her microchipped before her first trip out  ;D

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 12:51:07 PM »
When I moved Marly we used to keep him in for 2 weeks & scatter the contents of his litter tray over the garden so he knew where to come back to !

Good luck with the move  ;D

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 11:55:50 AM »
The most important thing is you keep her in her new house for a couple of weeks before letting her out.
Apart from that i would just let her have the run of the new house so she can go and smell every room and suss it out

Offline Christina

• Adult Cat
moving house....
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 11:27:43 AM »
hi there.  i was just wandering if anybody had any advice about moving a cat to a diferent home? ive just moved away, and am going home to collect my one year old female cat at the weekend. not really sure how to go about introducing her to her new home? and letting her outside as she does like to go out? im scared of her getitng lost in her new surroundings! any tips greatly appreciatede! thanks.

Link to CatChat