Author Topic: Pearl  (Read 4015 times)

Offline Reynard

• Super Cat
  • Pearl & Poppy
    • Post 14 Digital Motorsport Photography
Re: Pearl
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2006, 22:28:17 PM »
Lisa, Pearl *IS* gorgeous dare I say so myself!  :Luv: I do spoil her rotten - she had a nice bit of breast from my casseroled pheasant this evening...  ;D

I see from your profile that you're in Beds - not sure exactly how far that is from Ely, but if you do want to show Yumi, do get in touch. I'm more than happy to take you through the whole show process including entry, vetting in etc.

I'd suggest having a look at the list of shows on the GCCF website. You'll have to contact me by PM or preferably by e-mail if you decide on a specific show as the GCCF rules prevent us from advertising our presence at future shows. The other option would be entering our branch of CP's annual charity show in April, which gives you a fun and informal intro to showing.

Either way, let me know.

Witty.

Offline Littlebobo

• Hero Cat
  • Yumi, Moggchops, Mister and Chalky !!!
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2006, 16:14:42 PM »
Awwww what a great story to read and you have done wonders with her she is gorgeous ..you live quite close to me i think ..I wanted to show Yumi a while back but she got ill so i couldn't ..do you happen to know anywhere i could go ?

Mind you I think Pearl would win hands down against my Yumi even though i love her to bits Pearl is STUNNING !!
Fuss me Fuss me ..Come on I have things to do like Eating and sleeping !

Offline Reynard

• Super Cat
  • Pearl & Poppy
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2006, 22:15:51 PM »
Finally as promised, kind courtesy of Carol Walker from the South Ribble Pet Cat Club, a photo of Madam Pearl in her pen at the Supreme Show, complete with the beautiful rosette that she won. She looks a little grumpy because it was at the end of the day and the little lass, bless her, wanted to go home...  :Luv:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Reynard

• Super Cat
  • Pearl & Poppy
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2006, 22:23:37 PM »
Thanks Sam :shy:

Des, she's come on in leaps and bounds and never ceases to surprise me! Since coming to live with me, she has blossomed into a super little cat. Her latest new fetish is fresh laundry - I think she likes to inspect it (by snuggling up to it) to see if it is fit to wear!  :)

Gill, I originally thought that Pearl was very pointy, but to be honest, that was only because she was so thin. The little lass has filled out nicely, but she still is somewhat petite. Ah well, the best things in life come in small packages...  :Luv:

Pearl beet Boo Boo and Sue Sue (Boo's sister) as a little charity show raising money for our local branch of CP. Pearl qualified for the Supreme by winning an open class for grey or grey & white cats at the Suffolk & Norfolk show, where she also beat Sue Sue in the Prettiest Female class. Showing is just a bit of fun really - I get more kicks out of introducing Pearl to people than out of the rosettes to be honest. Mind, if we get a BIS at some point in the future, I shall most surely be in tears...  :shy:

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2006, 22:10:31 PM »
Ahh bless her she's gorgeous.

Congratulations on your show placement.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2006, 14:22:24 PM »
I have never seen that first picture of Pearl before and would never have guessed she would look like she does now. Like Tan I love the blues cos of Kocka but overall she never looked so blue and would change colour in different lights but her paws were always grey but she was a longer haired cat who probably also had some pedigree in her down the line. Pearl looks so wonderful now but isnt interesting how they whol face seem to change when they have a full face of fur? Kocka occasionally had to have her side burns trimmed and she looked so different, not like my Kocka at all.

So sad that Pearl lost to Boo Boo in the Supreme, or was it the other win that got her into the Supreme?

I agree with how do you compare completley different cats and the Best in Show in London is always interesting for this reason. I dont know if she is still there but one of the handlers on the stage in the final was so good with the cats , that the cat she was handling won Best in Show most times I was there.

They used to have the TV cameras there but they stopped coming because they didnt get the reaction to the winners that one would get at Crufts, just shows they knew nothing about cats , which the audience did cos they always applauded quietly so as not to upsat the cats.

Used to be great standing , well sitting near the front amongst all the owners, breeders and friends and listen to em all discussing which cat they thought would win and feeling smug when I was right and they were wrong  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2006, 10:54:24 AM »
What a wonderful story, and it is the first time I have seen the pic of her when you first got her. She does look as though somewhere in the past there has been ped. She is a gorgeous cat though, and it is so good that she is doing so well.
Please spay your cat

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2006, 23:48:25 PM »
I would hate to be a judge!!! I couldn't decide as they would all be winners in my eyes!!

Must admit Pearl has a soft spot in my heart ever since that wonderful smiling pic of her you posted on CC ages ago. She is stunning and i adore Blue/grey babes like my Arnie and Puddin is up on the bridge.

I know she will do sooo well in any of the shows.  ;D

Offline Reynard

• Super Cat
  • Pearl & Poppy
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2006, 22:38:49 PM »
Ccmacey, no, she's not a British Blue at all. Pearl is a little non-ped of indeterminate parentage. She may have some pedigree somewhere in her ancestry, but to be honest, there is no way of telling.

Gods yes Tan, I am very proud of my little girl. And I suspect my pics are good because I have a very sweet and picturesque subject...  :Luv:

Team Pearl will hit the show bench in the new year, we've just had our entry for our next show confirmed. Of course I'll keep y'all posted.  :)

It isn't so bad showing, Tan. The basics are pretty simple,  but non-peds have it harder because the judging is so subjective, especially in the miscellaneous classes. I mean how can one objectively judge a cat like Pearl against a big, handsome chunky Maine Coon lookalike?

The main rules to remember are things like not advertising your or your cat's presence at a future show (so you can't say which show you're going to - unless it is non-GCCF), making sure that your cat is healthy and has no scabs, no bald bits, clean ears etc to get through vetting in and not talking to the judges while they are working. A lot of stuff is just common sense really and as I've found out, there are a lot of very helpful and friendly people.

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2006, 16:56:51 PM »
Such a differnce in her Witty. You must be soooo proud of her.  :Luv:You take amazing pics  :wow:

Is she up for another show?  Is it quite hard to show ya cats ie rules etc  not that i would with mine cause of not much spare time but have always liked to know.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

ccmacey

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2006, 10:49:44 AM »
She's lovely, could she be a British Blue?

Offline Reynard

• Super Cat
  • Pearl & Poppy
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2006, 21:29:46 PM »
Pearl finished second to a white cat called Boo Boo. According to the judge, it was a very close decision. I can understand why, because showing a white cat well is not easy. Pearl has beaten Boo Boo at another show, so I guess it was very even between them.  :)

Actually, Boo Boo was also rehomed from Ely & District CP and her mum, Phillipa is lovely, so it was nice to have Ely CP finish 1-2 in a big class. We also had two group wins (Susanna & Chester) and all the cats were placed.  :clap:

I don't know how many kittens Pearl's daughter, Midnight actually had, but I do know that they were successfully rehomed. Midnight found a home together with her brother, and Pearl's second litter were homed together as stable cats. So all the family accounted for!  :Luv:

Have attached a photo of Pearl - the very first one I ever took of her, on the evening she came into my life. It is a photo that always makes me so emotional as it just shows how far she has come...  :shy:

« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 21:48:04 PM by Reynard »

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2006, 13:43:16 PM »
I also cant understand why she didnt win and I was so hoping to come and see her at the Supreme. She is just stunning...............what on earth did the winner look like?

I loves Pearl  ;D

Offline chrisleitz

• Senior Cat
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2006, 09:30:35 AM »
Witty, she is such a stunner. And Congrats on her achievement.  Can't understand why she didn't win.  The judges must have been blind.

Best wishes, Chris, Samson, Buddie and Pepper

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2006, 21:40:54 PM »
Ahhhh at last my Pearl fix  :catlove:  :catluv: She is sooooo gorgeous. I so pleased she's on the Purrs calendar cause i have her pic on me wall now  ;D ;D

:cheer: :yesss: :congrats: Pearl for doing fantastically at the Supreme show. It was a fix she should have come 1st  ;)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2006, 21:41:18 PM by Tan »

Offline Beccles

• Distinguished Cat
  • Daphne and Elettra born 18.06.06, Figaro 23.08.07
    • My weblog: Comprehension Dawns
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 18:30:42 PM »
 :omg: She's STUNNING!

What a gorgeous girl. That rosette was well-earned - I cannot imagine what the winner must have looked like for Pearl to come second place.

Do you have any ideas at all about her background? She looks like she may well be pedigree...

I'm glad she found you - sounds like about time.  :Luv: How many kittens is she grandma to?
Spaying and neutering saves lives.
Nobody has a right to own a cat. It's a privilege.

Offline Reynard

• Super Cat
  • Pearl & Poppy
Pearl
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 16:50:25 PM »
Here is Pearl; mad madam and show cat, hogging my bed...  :innocent:

Our most recent show outing was at the Supreme (only our third show actually), and the little lass scooped a second place in her class (NP10). For us to actually make it to the show was a real achievement, and to place as highly as she did was the real icing on the cake.  ;D

Pearl was found living rough in the grounds of a nursing home together with two litters of kittens. Of the first litter of two, the girl was in kitten herself (and had them on the day I went to meet Pearl for the first time) and the second litter of four were only just weaned and completely feral. Pearl was only about 18 months old herself at the time, was full of worms and fleas and weighed only one and a half kilos.  :(

It took about six months for her to get to any sort of acceptable condition, but since then she has really blossomed and made herself at home and the little madam really knows on what side her bread is buttered!

So our venturing onto the show bench is a real bonus...  :Luv:

Link to CatChat