Author Topic: Neutering Advice  (Read 4287 times)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Re: Neutering Advice
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2006, 17:00:17 PM »
I am assuming Lynn that the vet late tom cat neuters from Cats Protection were because they did have have the cats in care at the time they should have been neutered. Or they are paying for someone to have their cat neutered that otherwide would not bother.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Kezza

• Adult Cat
  • Barney
    • Barney Piccies
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2006, 14:34:26 PM »

hhmmm I thought last week that I could smell his urine when I walked into the kitchen, I though for certain he had peed somewhere other than his box but he hadn't... Plus he's never been intrested in when the back door opens but last night he made a run for it... oh blimey sounds like he might have matured early!

Thanks for that info!

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2006, 14:16:26 PM »
you'll probably start to notice his urine starting to get a fair bit stronger. 

He may also start to want to try and escape etc.

Offline Kezza

• Adult Cat
  • Barney
    • Barney Piccies
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2006, 14:14:57 PM »

How will I know when he's reached sexually maturity if he's an only cat indoors is it just spraying or anything else I should be looking out for!?

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2006, 14:05:54 PM »
i wouldnt say the vet was correct either altho having said that i have experienced lots of very late tom cat neuters (mainly through cpl etc) and most were as you say quiet and gentle.

however i know of even more normal age neuters who were  exactly the same !!!

if it were me personally the 1/2 year mark is what i feel comfortable with castrating cats however i do see the valid reasons for early neutering in rescues.

again personally if i had an entire kitten i would try and leave it a tad longer but thats only because i prefer the look they often take on but i am speaking still under a year and should i ever have that situation and spraying started then they'd be chopped of quick sharp LOL

cody was castrated around 4 mnths as he was sexually mature and trying to be active so his breeder took those steps to avoid unwanted matings and he is fine and suprisingly dominant for a neuter.

oh and a big cuddle bum !!!

Online Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2006, 13:44:09 PM »
It's a shame they're so inflexible.  The vet who did Mosi suggested leaving it til he was a bit older but I said I wanted him doing at 5 months and she agreed.  when Jaffa and Magpie were neutered I was asked to take them in so that the nurse could have a look at them and see if they were big enough.

Offline Kezza

• Adult Cat
  • Barney
    • Barney Piccies
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2006, 13:39:45 PM »

Well I like to stay with the vets I am at as I was recommended them and my normal vet is so good... but even when we took him in for his first jabs and I asked she said wait until 6 months so I guess I will have to wait.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2006, 12:18:17 PM »
Is it possible that you could go to a different vet?

Offline Kezza

• Adult Cat
  • Barney
    • Barney Piccies
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2006, 12:16:22 PM »

I have to admit I didn't feel comfortable with waiting longer but they won't do it until he is 6 months old... think I am just going to book him in to have it done just after christmas.

Offline Déborah

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2006, 11:42:40 AM »
I've never had a male cat but I've never heard of this! Did you ask the vet exactly why they were mellower if neutered later on (i.e. hormones or something?)
Sounds very weird.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2006, 09:19:47 AM »
Peewee was neutered at 6 months and he is the most laid back cat you would imagine. I personally think the vet is talking rubbish

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2006, 09:18:33 AM »
Peewee was neutered at 6 months and he is the most laid back cat you would imagine. I personally think the vet is talking rubbish.

Offline Eve

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 09:09:59 AM »
My boy kitty was done at 5 months, absolutely fine! And he is soooo loving ?:) The vet didnt want to wait until he was 6months incase he started getting 'ideas' about his sister and my other girl kitty.

If you're not sure about advice yoiur vet gives you, ring other vets in the area, pop in and ask their advice.

Online Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 09:08:47 AM »
I think that's nonsense, tbh.? I really can't see why she'd say that.? The longer you wait the more the chance of them exhibiting sexual behaviour inc spraying.? Mine have always been done at 5 months and have all been right little lovebugs!? Magpie was about as mellow as they come and he was done at 5 months.

Offline Kezza

• Adult Cat
  • Barney
    • Barney Piccies
Neutering Advice
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 09:06:31 AM »

I took Barney to the vets last night for a weigh in, worming and claw clipping and I asked the vet about when I could book him in to be neutered, he's about 5 months old now.

Not our normal vet be she said that sometimes it's better to wait until he is much older than 6 months because she finds that male cats are much more mellow in later life if they are neutered later.... anyone heard of this?!

My main concern was I didn't do it soon he would start spraying in the house and of course fighting with other cats but he's an indoor puss at the moment (we don't have any other cats) and I have no plans to let him go out (if I do ever LOL) until the spring.

Any comments advise as I am a newbie kitten owner! :)

Link to CatChat