Cat Health & Behaviour > Health & Behaviour General

Blood in Urine

(1/4) > >>

KayJay:
Thanks for posting this Ela

Abbey's only thing from the list was the blood in the urine, I guess thats why she ruled out cystitis. She did mention the possibility of FUS or FUTD, but only if it keeps recurring.

She seems to have cleared it completely now, and has just been spayed a few weeks ago, maybe the infection is connected with that instead?

Ela:
Taken from a site;- (easier than bothering to think what to write)

The term "cystitis" literally means irritation of the urinary bladder. Although this term is rather general, there is a common form of cystitis that occurs in male and female cats. This disease is also known as Feline Urologic Syndrome (FUS) or Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease (FLUTD). It affects the bladder (not the kidneys), resulting in the production of tiny crystals and bloody urine. The cat often urinates much more frequently than normal, usually with the passage of only a few drops of urine. This can be confused with constipation. Many cats will urinate in places other than the litter box due to the irritation of the bladder wall, Hard cool surfaces such as tile floors, counter tops, sinks, and bathtubs are often used. They should not be punished for doing so.

We are not completely sure of the cause of this problem. Bacterial infections are the most common cause of cystitis in dogs and humans, but most cats with cystitis do not have bacteria in their urine.  Dry foods may not initiate, but will aggravate the problem after it begins. This is because of the higher mineral content (ash) and lower water content of dry foods. A herpes virus has also been incriminated.

Desley (booktigger):
Cystitis is an infection, crystals are soemthing different. Can't remember more at the moment though am afraid,
Thanks .

KayJay:
I agree, I thought it was a bit odd. I know with us the doctor will ask for it the same day, but never such a tight time scale.

The vet gave me the impression she had ruled it Cysitis, due to not having crystals in it, but thought more towards a Bacteria Infection. She did say, that sometimes cats can have repeat episodes of this and if it happens again they would look to do more tests and maybe keep her on low dose medication for life.

Sending love and kisses to Pebbles, I have been reading your post on her and looking for an update each day.You two are certainly going through the mill at the minute. I do hope she picks up soon.

Desley (booktigger):
Sounds odd actually - the timespan is longer than 30 mins for a urine sample, admittedly the fresher the better, but earlier in the year when I was getting samples, I had a 3 hour window for it. And the fact there are no crystals doesn't mean no cystitis at all, they are actually different things!! I am glad that her wee is looking better though, fingers crossed - sometimes though, it seems to have got better, but does flare up again in a week or so.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version