Author Topic: tips on flying fur  (Read 1303 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: tips on flying fur
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2007, 19:22:26 PM »
I tried furminator on mine but Misas coat was so long and thick , it was useless but I use one of those combs but a bigger version for him and a small one for the birmans.

I have four cats all with long hair and the birmans puuuuuuuuuuurmently moult. I got fur in the car and in my bed ..........itch itch......and the only way is just to keep on trying to clear it...........I never ever succeed cos put dyson on and turn round and Sasa has wiped her coat all over the carpet again and left white fur everywhere.

Basically I have given up!

Offline sixfurballs

• Senior Cat
  • Bronte, Dino, Huxley & Heidi
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2007, 15:57:21 PM »
have just read that thread that Mark posted about the grooming thing on ebay and also the ensuing chat about the Furminator. Sounds like a good idea. Mine are all short haired but Bronte in particular has a very thick coat of very fine soft fluffy fur.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2007, 14:53:07 PM »
Zoom Groom is great at getting rid of loose hair.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2007, 14:47:29 PM »
Helen sad to say I have that comb too.... but Lexy still sheds like crazy... she's a little furrrrrrryyyball

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2007, 13:57:19 PM »
I have four cats and a door wood floor as well on of them is a long haired white,  I comb her everyday and the others a couple of times a week to try and keep down the tumble weed!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 13:50:18 PM »
I remember the days of rolling tumbleweed/fur on laminate flooring, so glad I'm all carpeted up now  :evillaugh:  I posted this on a thread ages ago, it's a magical comb that takes freaky amounts of dead  hair/fur out of the coat so less to collect into those tumbleweed/fur balls!

Tiggy wasn't long haired but used to leave her gorgeous ginger hairs on everything that she laid on, I discovered an almsot magical comb called a shedding comb made by Safari.  It has two different rows of teeth one short and one longer.  I think it works by one layer taking out the undercoat and the other layer taking out the loose dead hairs.

What came off Tiggy when I used this comb had to be seen to be believed, each sitting I would get a ball of fluff the size of her head.  Not just fluff and air though it was completely squished down and it was still that big!  I could have made a beautiful ginger coat with the amount of fur that came off her using this comb over the years - highly recommended!

It's the 10th item down on this link, they also do one for longer coats too... http://www.petcompany.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Combs__Rakes___Shedding_Blades_80.html

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 12:01:18 PM »
Ditto I'm afraid, a constant cycle of dusting and vacuuming <sigh>  :tired:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline lilycat

• Senior Cat
  • Lilycat
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 11:50:07 AM »
What Ruth said  ;)

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 11:43:21 AM »
Dawn's Doc doesn't seem to mind if he's hoovered  :evillaugh:

Seriously though, I have learned to just keep cleaning. The other night I was hoovering the radiator bed and discovered fur on the underside of it!!!  And on my lampshades, at the top of the doors.  Just a never ending cycle.

Offline sixfurballs

• Senior Cat
  • Bronte, Dino, Huxley & Heidi
tips on flying fur
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 11:27:37 AM »
Ok this may be a totally stupid question but does anyone have any good tips on fur all over the house. Let me explain...

I have 4 cats. 2 black, 1 white and and 1 white and black. Downstairs in my house is all high varnish dark wooden floor boards or tiles. My wooden floors need swept constantly because they attract dust like a magnet but the cat hair will have collected like tumbleweeds within minutes of it being swept. I have 2 toddlers, one of whom is still crawling a lot, so not too keen on this combination. My white cat in particular sheds a lot. Every time I touch her (and she gets lots of cuddles) you can just see the hair floating off her. I give them a good brush at least once a week but it never seems to make any difference.

Any tips would be gratefully received but I expect this may just be a fact of life  :rofl:

Link to CatChat