Author Topic: New to forum and new to cats!  (Read 1959 times)

Offline Ellie

• Super Cat
Re: New to forum and new to cats!
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2007, 20:18:45 PM »
Hi and  :welcome: to Purrs  :)

Can't wait to hear about your new arrival  :)

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2007, 20:11:19 PM »
I am a teacher so work full-time, any advice on the amount of time I would need to spend with a kitten to settle them into a new home? Would it be best to do this during school hoildays?

I would certainly introduce kittens during the school holidays.  Having friends who teach, I guess that, while you work full time, a large proportion of your work is done at home, in preparation, marking etc, so you are not out of the house for the huge number of hours some workers are?
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline pinky

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2007, 19:55:49 PM »
both great sites,  :thanks:

will send an email to CCG to clarify whether or not all day workers are allowed to rehome kittens

wizz-catz is just what I was looking for - thanks very much Sam

Offline pinky

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2007, 19:41:56 PM »
Just having a look on both websites, thanks. Would love to offer a home to kittens from a rescue centre but a little worried as they appear not to rehome kittens with all day workers, but will look in to it anyway and maybe contact a few.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2007, 19:33:35 PM »
Well if you're thinking kittens or younguns then two is definitely a better solution than one as kittens needs lots of attention and variety to keep them entertained.  A play mate is ideal.  Once you've sussed out your costs like food, preventative healthcare - the vets visit you usually have to pay for and vaccinations etc, insurance for unexpected illnesses, safety, indoor/outdoor, then you can make an informed decision.

Also if you prefer only one, maybe consider an older cat that wants to be an only cat?

There are some rescues around in your area, may be worth getting in touch with one of them to find out more and maybe get your prep work done.

http://www.coventrycatgroup.org.uk/ is a great place to start, and Angie one of our moderators on the forumis a fosterer for them.

Good luck !!

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007, 19:32:34 PM »
This website might help:  http://wizz-catz.co.uk/kitteninfo.html

Wizz is an animal behaviorist and very well respected on this site.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 19:29:04 PM »
Hi Pinky and :welcome: to Purrs

ooooh how exciting a "virgin" cat owner  :evillaugh:  As everyone has already said you've come to the right place ... we are all cat mad (some of us are just mad! LOL)

All the best

Sam, Foxy, Zephyr and Rossi xxx
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline pinky

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 19:27:05 PM »
I live in the West Midlands. Been spending lots of time researching cats, kittens, rescue centres etc, but after looking on this forum I think that the best place for any advice would be here!

Hoping to welcome a kitten or two into my home once I have settled in myself, and once I know enough about them to care for them correctly :)

Thanks for all you replies.

I am a teacher so work full-time, any advice on the amount of time I would need to spend with a kitten to settle them into a new home? Would it be best to do this during school hoildays?

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 19:21:32 PM »
hello Pinky and welcome to Purrs. We all have to start somewhere, and you are starting in the right place. Lots of people on this forum have years of experience owning and caring for cats. We will all give you advice, and sometimes you will think that advice is contradictory. A better way to look at is that there is always more than one solution to an issue and some things work better for some cats than for others. We look forward to talking with you on a regular basis. And we also look forward to pix of your new babe/s when it/they arrive/s

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 19:20:11 PM »
:hi: Pinky

:welcome: and I hope you have as much fun as the rest of us with our babes.

We're all happy to help and add our two cents (even if you don't ask for it  :rofl: )!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 19:16:22 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs  ;D

Ohhhhhhhhhh a potential cat owner...................we love em  :rofl: :rofl:

What area do you live in?

Yes you have come to the right place if you wanna be a serious cat slave, you ask the questions and we will give you all our thoughts  ;D

Offline pinky

• Adult Cat
New to forum and new to cats!
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 19:13:37 PM »
Hi everyone

Unlike most of you I do not have a cat as of yet but I am about to move into my first home and would love to welcome a cat into it too. I have always had pets (mainly dogs), but never a cat so will probably be asking for lots of advice! Anyway, just thought I would say hi and looking forward to receiving lots of helpful advice.

:) :)

Link to CatChat