Author Topic: WARNING - the dangers of string  (Read 42775 times)

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
Re: WARNING - PLEASE READ.
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2007, 14:03:39 PM »
Plastic bags might be another one to mention.

Bilbo loves the things (carrier bags, freezer bags, polypockets etc) and some time ago now I was clearing the litter tray out and found that more than half of the large poo was carrier bag, it had never crossed my mind until then that a cat might eat a carrier bag. I dread to think what would have happened if it hadn't passed through naturally. Now whenever he's inside I make sure to 'debag' the house first.
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2007, 13:45:47 PM »
Needles !!!! that was the other thing i meant to mention.  I have seen easily 20 + cats who have swallowed thread dropped or left lying and still having the needle attached, normally these get stuck in the palate but i remember one xray which showed the needle having pentrated right up through and was in the sinus cavities, luckily the thread was still attached and the needle was eventually removed.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2007, 13:17:34 PM »
We all know our cats (and ourselves) greatly enjoy playing with many items / toys that have this type of material on them but please remember this warning and my advice is always hide these toys when you are not there to supervise play.

Good advice, it is surprising how many cats suffer as a result of people allowing them to play with certain things when there is no supervision. Even  wool or cotton left unattended has been known to cause problems. Animals are as bad as children and need watching constantly.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 13:26:50 PM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

ccmacey

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2007, 11:40:31 AM »
OMG Susanne I didnt know about little Mosi till now hope he's ok.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2007, 11:31:07 AM »
>Lynn.....great thread  ;)

>Susanne.....Good luck to Mosi for his surgery the poor man  :(

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2007, 10:51:39 AM »
Well said, Lynn.

Please anyone with a da bird be extra careful not to leave it lying around unsupervised.  I know most of us don't leave those sort of toys lying around because of these kind of dangers, but it never occurred to me that Mosi would actually chew through the string so that he could swallow it.  Esp as I was only in the next room.  We were mid play and he was having a breather so I left it on the floor while I came onto the computer for a bit and he was (seemingly) lying in the hallway having a rest.  Now he's in surgery and it's going to cost me (or hopefully petplan) about £600.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
WARNING - the dangers of string
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2007, 10:31:52 AM »
I would just like to highlight the dangers of STRING / WOOL / ELASTIC  and such like material for our furbabes !!!!!!!

Many cats will eat string and can swallow very long lengths (please see susanne's thread re Mosi )

This is very dangerous for our cats as the string acts against the natural gut movements and can result in the intestine or part of the gut being gathered up together like a concertina effect.  This isnt myth or heresay it DOES and CAN happen, many cats suffer this foreign body and the lucky ones may pass / vomit  or  need exploratory surgery to remove the offending objects and often if the gut has been damaged they may need lengths of intestines removed also.  The less fortunate ones may not survive esp where an owner doesnt know and treatment may be sought a little too late.

Again such foreign bodies can also lead to intestinal intussuseption which again is very serious and requires immediate life saving surgery.

SO

We all know our cats (and ourselves) greatly enjoy playing with many items / toys that have this type of material on them but please remember this warning and my advice is always hide these toys when you are not there to supervise play.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 23:56:57 PM by Rebecca (beccaviola) »

Link to CatChat