Author Topic: My cat has not been seen for 14 days  (Read 13746 times)

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
Re: My cat has not been seen for 9 days
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2007, 22:01:32 PM »
Well I feel well and truly scoffed at!  I have just posted details on another website and not sure if I have been oversensitive but one reply I got made out I was making much ado about very little! 

Well, take no notice of that.

:hug:

PM me with details of that website, would you?
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Debbie

• Senior Cat
  • Sam - missing since 29th August 2007 xx
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2007, 21:54:20 PM »
Well I feel well and truly scoffed at!  I have just posted details on another website and not sure if I have been oversensitive but one reply I got made out I was making much ado about very little! 

Teresa, I got the owner of the house to come out so the house could be searched and I was there when he opened up the garage - it was completely empty.  I had already searched the outhouse/shed a few days before.

I am waiting to go out again when it is all quiet, I went out at midnight last night, is it best to wait until 1-2am or 5ish?

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2007, 21:01:40 PM »
Debbie a long shot,the empty house that had viewers in, did they look inside of the shed  though chances are he will have remained hidden through fear if he was trapped;perhaps another look at this vacant property.When one of mine got locked in a garage I found  5am the best time to go out calling, I soon got a reply.
Sending lots of positive vibes your way.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2007, 20:56:07 PM »
it's the 'not knowing' that drives us all a little crazy. Don't judge yourself for feeling that way, it is normal. Keep hoping for a while longer. All avenues have yet to be explored. By the way. Dowsing is easy. just get a wire coat hanger, cut off the handle and bend it so it forms a V. Then hold both ends of the V and it will dip when you find water and electrical currents. Haven't tried it for cats, but it is really useful for water and electricity...

Offline Debbie

• Senior Cat
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2007, 20:52:03 PM »
I am going a bit demented and it is taking over my life either thinking about it or going out searching, ringing round etc.  I called the environmental services today but they had not picked up anything since before he went missing.  They also said they scan for microchips too which is good.  Sam came from a rescue about 15 miles away, and tonight I even emailed them to notify he has gone missing, just in case he ventured far out and has somehow got back over there way on his bearings.

Somebody on here mentioned dowsing, so I have emailed the British Dowsing society about getting someone to try and locate him. 

If I told friends/family the extent I had gone to, I think they would cart me away in a straight jacket.  At least here I can be quite open about how distraught I am, being amongst other cat lovers  :innocent:

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2007, 20:14:09 PM »
Debbie, I had a cat go missing for two weeks. I was frantic and actually costing placing an advertisement on daytime television. Don't give up hope yet. I know how you feel, but he may be just locked in someone's house, or shed, or garage. Or he may even have hitched a ride in someone's car. keep an eye on advertisements in you local paper also... :hug:

Offline Felix (Caroline)

• Hero Cat
  • Simba
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2007, 20:07:03 PM »
I really hope you find him :Luv:
Caroline xx

Offline Debbie

• Senior Cat
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2007, 17:36:57 PM »
I went out last night at midnight (couldnt go out much later, had to be up early today for work).  I walked slowly and quietly around the estate, gently calling Sam and stopping every so often to see if I could hear him call me back.  I nearly had heart failure when I saw a cat just like Sam in size and colour sat on a drive and even meiowed back to me!  He had markings in the same places as the tabby bits with the rest white.  I stood still calling 'Sam' and he approached me meiowing like Same does, then I realised this one had black where Sam's fur is tabby instead  :(

It was amazing the amount of cats that approached me while out at that hour.  I am still too scared to go into the woods though, there were all sorts of strange noises in there! 

I feel a bit different today, not sure why, but I feel a bit more positive that he may come home soon....

Offline ChrisB

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Gizmo, Bubbles, Cleo, Daisy and Ellie
Re: My cat has not been seen for six days
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2007, 21:43:01 PM »
Oh Debbie, I do hope you have some good news soon - am thinking of you.
Unconditional love is hard to find unless you have a cat

Offline Debbie

• Senior Cat
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2007, 17:49:47 PM »
No Sam is not nearby sadly.  What I meant was, I think I can hear him but it is my mind playing tricks on me.  I think I hear him when I am indoors, so I rush to the patio where he used to sit and he is not there, or I run outside the front door but again nothing.  Any tiny sound and I think it might be him, quite often it is a bird or child's voice instead. 

I know it sounds awful, but I wish I knew if he was alive or dead, I would really be heartbroken if he was stuck being starved to death somewhere when I could possibly have rescued him.  I am just hoping that the fine weather allows him to be freed if he is/was locked into a garage.  Where I live I am surrounded by houses, about 200, maybe more, and nearly all have garages.  It is an overwhelming task to get to every one of them.

I feel so so guilty about leaving him to go on holiday :( 

Offline Felix (Caroline)

• Hero Cat
  • Simba
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2007, 15:13:42 PM »
I'll be keeping everything crossed for you :Luv:
Caroline xx

Online Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2007, 09:35:56 AM »
Come on Sam - make our day and come home

:where:
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2007, 02:13:05 AM »
Gosh would'nt that be great if kitty was close (would'nt be the first time someone lost a cat close to home) any garages close by? Have to admit i felt as if i was going crazy when my monster went missing...home made pendulant (SP?) Dowsing rods made from a metal coat hanger....this might sound strange but i was actually drawn to where my cat was locked up...just the butter must of been sleeping everytime i paced the area  :Crazy:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2007, 01:44:00 AM »
When you think you hear him crying, does it have a direction and if so have you followed it?

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2007, 01:21:01 AM »
I have aged about 10 yrs in the last week with worry.

:( :hug: :hug: :hug:

Hurry up home your meowmy needs you  :Luv:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2007, 23:49:07 PM »
Must be awful for you  :hug:  You said you think you keep hearing him crying indoors...  there's not a possibility he could be trapped somewhere is there?  Also are there any schools nearby?  Maybe you could ask them to read out a poster in assembly or something - little kids love things like that and then you'd have lots of eyes looking in places where you wouldn't normally go.

Offline Debbie

• Senior Cat
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2007, 23:25:26 PM »
Hi Helen, thanks for asking.

Only one possible sighting.  I have a poster up in my vets and they phoned me yesterday to say a man had seen a cat that looked like Sam that morning near to where I live.  I was in work and didnt get the message until 7.30 at night but immediately went to look, but nothing.  I carried out putting out posters last night at bus stops/lamp posts and passers by.  It is exhausting going out every day particularly now I am back at work which is an hours journey from home.  However if it gets him found it will be worth it.

It has been a week now and I am trying to be positive but I have a feeling I will never see him again.  I read your poem on another thread earlier and got quite upset, I hope he is safe and just being fed somewhere else and comes home soon.

Oh yes and I got the owners of the empty house  to come and check he was not in there.  I think I am going mad as i keep thinking I hear him crying when I am indoors, I have aged about 10 yrs in the last week with worry.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 23:30:42 PM by Debbie »

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2007, 23:13:00 PM »
Any news on Sam Debbie?  Any sightings or leads?  :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
Re: My cat has not been seen for four days
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2007, 23:23:23 PM »
Come on Sam, get yourself home - your Mum misses you  :hug:

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
Re: My cat has not been seen for two days
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2007, 16:34:35 PM »
We have had another wanderer return today on here - I hope the next one back is Sam  :hug:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2007, 16:14:55 PM »
My mums friends cat has just come back after missing for 2 weeks. She got upset by some decorating. So dont give up hope  :hug:

Offline Debbie

• Senior Cat
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2007, 15:49:29 PM »
Just want to thank those who have offered their advice and support up to now, and also their stories of success.  It is very encouraging.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2007, 15:27:18 PM »
will pm you  :shy:
« Last Edit: September 02, 2007, 15:28:49 PM by Ruth (Bazsmum) »

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2007, 15:14:54 PM »
.....and dont forget to re-check the place's you have already been.....i lost my cat for 13 days....he was eventually found somewhere where i walked past/stood shouting his name every night  ;)

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2007, 15:11:00 PM »
Debbie,

So sorry Sam is not back yet.

Posters, Posters, Posters with picture and details with contact number.....hand out to neighbours and anyone you see. Put up in local shops, pubs and supermarkets. Stick to all local lamp posts. (If it rains go and collect them and replace however it's best to put posters in plastic wallets so if it rains they don't go all soggy - the neighbours and council don’t mind you putting them up so much that way).  Also put one in your and friends cars - it amazing how many people see them this way. Make smaller flyers and push through every letterbox on your streets and the surrounding area.   It is a good idea to offer a reward … of course this doesn’t have to be money … a box of cho-colates or a bunch of flowers is just as good.

I can't stress enough the importance of posters .... flood the area with them.  When you think you have put enough out .... go round again and put more out.

I agree with blackcat ... do not assume that he will rush out of an open door.  If he is scared there is more chance he will sit still and be quiet.  Have you tried calling through the letterbox?

Good luck and stay positive  :hug:
« Last Edit: September 02, 2007, 15:14:23 PM by Sam (Fussy_Furball) »
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2007, 15:09:19 PM »
not in the least oversenstive. I would be down his throat like a hawk. The least he can do is help you with your search. Can you contact the agent handling the vacant house and ask to go through it with them? He may normally dive for the door if it is someone he knows but might have managed to frighten himself with the echos in an empty place and hide in a cupboard when people come ... vacant but locked buildings are a good place to look when all else has failed. There is a lot of truth in the old saying, they are always in the last place you look!!

Offline Debbie

• Senior Cat
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2007, 15:01:29 PM »
He has still not returned home and I am so upset :'( :'(

Yesterday I took the drastic action of going out to buy a printer so I could distribute some posters with his details around the neighbourhood.  I think most of them thought I was trying to sell them something as lots of neighbours did not even answer the door even though their cars were outside so I just stuck them through the letterbox.  Those that did were mostly nice though and seemed genuinely interested.  I have stuck one on the postbox at the entrance/exit to our estate and plan on dropping one off at the supermarket, my vets and the local leisure centre if they will let me.

The house next door to me is currently empty and is up for sale.  I was worried that he may have been trapped in there as the owner came while I was away to mow the lawn.  They had viewers yesterday though and he is obviously still not back.  He is not the kind of cat to cower in a corner if he can get out of the tiniest space.  I remember when he was housebound with a cone on after vet treatment, he escaped complete with collar!  Anyway, this morning I scaled the fence to next door (the empty one) and checked their outbuildings and garage with a torch, calling his name, he wasnt there.

Next step is probably local newspaper ad I guess. 

I am quite annoyed at my cat sitter, who is family.  I know he could not have avoided Sam going missing but he was very haphazard with turning up to feed him, I paid him expenses for petrol to come and do it, which he has not offered back, and has also not bothered to find out if he has since turned up or offered to help me find him....maybe I am just oversensitive about it all but Sam was my only company in the house and it feels like I have lost a friend

Offline Lizzie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2007, 19:48:21 PM »
Debbie, has your neighbour checked inside their house - he couldn't have slipped in when they weren't looking and either got stuck somewhere like behind a bath panel or maybe hiding somewhere in their house?

I'm sure he'll turn up soon - he's maybe just taken the huff.  My friend's cat took the huff with her when she returned from holiday and decided she would rather live with her neighbours round the corner despite being the most spoilt cat at her own home!  Took an awful lot of coaxing and tempting to get her to stay back home!!  Good luck...

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2007, 17:02:48 PM »
Good luck and hope yoy are able to gwet the posters dobe soon  :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2007, 14:29:08 PM »
Good news on when he was last spotted, do you think a friend or neighbour might be able to run off some posters for you though?  Even if they only do one then you can photocopy a batch at Staples etc  The sooner you can let people know he is missing the sooner they can start looking for him  :hug:

Offline Debbie

• Senior Cat
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2007, 13:53:10 PM »
Well he has still not returned home and I have called the cat rescues and vets in the area and they have taken his details.  I went next door to ask if he shows up and I am not home - I am back at work Monday - that they put him in my house and ring/txt to let me know he is back.

Well when spoke to them, they said the last time they saw him was Wednesday night, not Tuesday which is a bit more promising.  He has been finishing off their cat's dry food that they leave in the conservatory.  They said he appeared fine and didnt realise I had been so worried.

I still have to print off the posters but cannot do that until I get back to work, as I have no printer at home but I feel a bit more positive today.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2007, 01:30:58 AM »
Good luck for finding your cat.....come home your meowmy needs you  :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2007, 00:26:18 AM »
Got everything crossed that Sam is tucked up in his bed by the morning, please keep us updated and do follow Sam's list

Offline ChrisB

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Gizmo, Bubbles, Cleo, Daisy and Ellie
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 23:29:41 PM »
Debbie, I do hope he returns soon.    My nextdoor neighbours have just returned from a week away and one of theirs went missing for four days/nights - their daughter was feeding them but was not there all day as they are used to but Ernie has now returned safely.   I hope that the change in routine is the only reason for yours going missing and we soon have some good news.
Unconditional love is hard to find unless you have a cat

Offline Debbie

• Senior Cat
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 23:14:55 PM »
Been out calling him at the very edge of the woods and did a walk around the estate on the outskirts of it, I thought I heard him but I guess it was my mind playing tricks on me.  I have had the patio door open all evening with food in the opening.  Also put a towel that I have used on him when he gets wet from his adventures and placed that in the shed (hoping he will get his/my scent off it) and some food and wate down.  There is a catflap to the shed from the previous cat resident but he had yet to master that.  We'll see if he is hungry enough to now though.  There are several cats in the area that will eat any food I leave for him outside in the open so I have just left a little there.  Maybe I should just sleep downstairs tonight. 

I have been up since 3.45am this morning due to an extremely early flight home at 6am, I was looking forward to getting home and snuggling up to him and it is  probably why I got so emotional earlier.  Fingers crossed the little guy is leading me a merry dance for going on my hols without him eh?  Thanks for all your support, theres not many people here I can turn to for help  :shy:

Oh forgot to add, prepared a poster so if he is not here tomorrow, I will get those handed out.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 23:18:09 PM by Debbie »

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 22:29:03 PM »
It may also be worth leaving a window open for him and whilst there, leave the back door open or whichever door he usually comes in and out of.  Fingers crossed he's got a little side tracked somewhere and will come waltzing in without a care in the world,  :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 21:14:30 PM »
Try leaving some food out for him and do some posters, they are very important.

Do you know someone who will accomapany you at night to look for him?

If you are not too scared go down the garden in about an hour and call for him and listen carefully to see if you can hear him. I think once he knows you are home and forgives you he will be back.

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 21:06:06 PM »
I think your wee kitty has taken a dislike to your relative. And has possibly found some soft-hearted soul to boot. If you live in a woodland area, he/she had probably found a nest in which to spend the night. I suggest you leave the lights on tonight, and, if you usually have music or TV when you are home, leave it on all night (not too loud) as that will pass to kitty as a sound that is familiar.

We do share your concern, but they will at times, go out of their way to punish you for not meeting their slave standards, so don't despair at this point. It has also been great weather for kitties to stay out, and a full moon (as the fox in my back lane keeps reminding me, my dog and my cats) so time for all good animals to get a little weird in their behaviour.

Offline Debbie

• Senior Cat
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 20:55:03 PM »
Thanks for the reply Gill, I am just sat here feeling very sad and confused as to what to do tonight.  I dont have a cat flap unfortunately otherwise I dont think he would have vanished in my absence.

He was last seen by the cat sitter on Tuesday morning and by a neighbour who fed him Tuesday evening.  Apparently Sam went into their conservatory for some of their cat's food, which he has done before. They havent seen him since though.  I have been calling him from the house all afternoon and shaking out his bed on the lawn (I emptied my hoover contents in the bin before I left for hols so nothing to empty from that yet) 

Sam has on occasion gone walkabout for 24 hrs but no longer.  It is funny you mention about him maybe taking a dislike to the cat sitter, it was a member of my family that kindly offered to do it but is not a cat lover.  To make it worse, he let slip that he may not have been very prompt with the feeding times and to my horror Sam has been fed less than half of what he should have been given - partly due to him going walkabout for two days I suppose.

I will go out tonight I think and look call at the side of the woods, I dont want to go in alone, I am too scared in the dark!

Tomorrow I will be calling at doors and rescue centres I guess.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 20:56:29 PM by Debbie »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 20:40:26 PM »
I am sure he is very close, try putting some food out for him and leave some lights on so he will know you are at home.

Do you have a cat flap? I guess you do and if so leave the food outside the flap and also his normal food inside.

Have you spoken to those who were looking after him, ask thenm if they saw him when they came and when was last time they saw him.

I had a cat who tried to move in with me in London cos his owners wenr away and he decided he didnt like the person who was coming to feed him, he had also tried moving in next door to his home!

Thses are some of the things to do if he is not home tonight and POSTERS POSTERS is at the top of the list. Also check with neighbours asap, tonight if possible.

Here are a few things to try:

1. Posters, Posters, Posters with picture and details with contact number.....hand out to neighbours and anyone you see. Put up in local shops, pubs and supermarkets. Stick to all local lamp posts. (If it rains go and collect them and replace however it's best to put posters in plastic wallets so if it rains they don't go all soggy - the neighbours and council don’t mind you putting them up so much that way).  Also put one in your and friends cars - it amazing how many people see them this way. Make smaller flyers and push through every letterbox on your streets and the surrounding area.   It is a good idea to offer a reward … of course this doesn’t have to be money … a box of cho-colates or a bunch of flowers is just as good.

2. Knock on doors and ask neighbours to check their sheds and garages WHILE YOU WAIT … it's surprising how many people say they will check but as soon as the door is closed they forget.   Knock on 10 doors either side of your house on both sides of the street.

3. Register him lost at all vets/catteries/rescue homes within a 20mile radius.  Follow the link and click on the map to find rescues in your area http://www.catchat.org/adoption/index.html

4. Leave food out and a toy of his

5. Leave out an unwashed item of your clothing

6. Put the contents of your hoover bag on your garden - it’s full of smells that they will recognise and if doesn’t bring him directly to your door will at least hopefully keep him in the area. Alternatively if you have a litter tray that has used put some of the used litter on the garden as this will have familiar smells in it.

7. Contact the local fire brigade and see if they have had to rescue any stuck cats

8. Ask the local children to look - they are great for knowing all the local hidey-holes and love helping. Also have a word with your local post-person and milk man if there is one that delivers in your area.   Also try and enlist the help of people walking dogs as they tend to go “off road” in the fields and parks.

9. Ask the local radio station to announce he’s missing and give out a contact number

10. Put an advert in the local paper

11. Contact your local environmental services dept (bin men) they keep a log of all animals picked on the roadside ... I know this is not a pleasant call to make and hopefully it will come back as negative.

12. Go out after dark when it is quieter with a friend / partner and walk round the local area gently calling every so often (give him a chance to answer you). Keep talking as you walk round that way if he is in the area he will hear you.

13. When you talk to vets and rescues, ask them about any known local feral colonies and where they are based. If Kitty has been missing for more than a few days s/he might have wandered further afield and might be “hanging round” near a colony for security (safety in numbers) and company. If vets/rescues know locations of colonies, these might be useful to get some ideas of where to start looking.

Finally have a look at these sites - they are all EXCELLENT

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php

http://www.mymoggy.com/  contact Sue at mymoggy.

http://thehovel.com/bb/index.php?f=28&ppage=20&sort=lastpost&order=DESC

http://nationalpetregister.org

http://www.soyouhavelostyourcat.co.uk/#1

http://www.petsearchuk.org.uk/

http://www.amissingpet.co.uk/

http://www.animalsearchuk.com/

http://pet-rescue.org.uk/forums/index.php?showforum=308

http://www.lostmycat.org/index.php

http://www.animalrescuers.co.uk/html/lostfound.html

Good luck and stay positive.

Hopefully your little one has just got itself shut in a shed somewhere.

And finally ……. IMPORTANT NOTE: When you get your furbabe back remember to remove ALL the posters and inform all vets / rescues / websites etc that they are home.

Link to CatChat