Author Topic: Are we a nation of animal lovers?  (Read 3681 times)

Offline shecat

• Senior Cat
  • Tilly Ollie and Loki
Re: Are we a nation of animal lovers?
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2006, 14:23:48 PM »
 ;D  ;D  ;D

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2006, 14:21:23 PM »
nope i cant stand them personally

;) ;) ;)

Offline shecat

• Senior Cat
  • Tilly Ollie and Loki
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2006, 12:33:43 PM »
No we are not a nation of animal lovers and I dont think we ever have been, most of us will look after our animals properly, but there are still the well hard idiots owning dogs they have no intention of looking after just to appear 'ard. ?As has been said there is the fashion accessory, given away when not wanted. The uneducated just not knowing how to look after an animal but the latter can be educated. ? :'(

Offline Beccles

• Distinguished Cat
  • Daphne and Elettra born 18.06.06, Figaro 23.08.07
    • My weblog: Comprehension Dawns
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2006, 12:30:39 PM »
Roz - Halal or Kosher slaughter (they're virtually the same) is not allowed to cause undue suffering and indeed Halal butchers stun cattle before slaughter. Temple Grandin did some work around it: there's a very interesting article here. If the animal has suffered or thrashed around that renders it unclean and therefore inedible under the dietary rules of both religions - in Kosher slaughter, which I have watched, a hard cut to the jugular from an extremely sharp knife means that the cow exsanguinates (bleeds to death) pretty much instantly.

I've been a vegetarian for a long time, mind :)
Spaying and neutering saves lives.
Nobody has a right to own a cat. It's a privilege.

Offline Littlebobo

• Hero Cat
  • Yumi, Moggchops, Mister and Chalky !!!
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2006, 12:21:29 PM »
Nation of animal lovers ...I dont think so ..people like pets as accesories or fashion items and when they get fed up they dump them ..not saying that is always the case but is a trend i have noticed over the last few years ...

Agree with Ros on the halal thing ..i was in Tunisia a few years back and actually realised what halal was ... :'(
Fuss me Fuss me ..Come on I have things to do like Eating and sleeping !

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2006, 12:14:48 PM »
On an advice sheet I send out to everyone I put a highlighted notice on IF YOU SUSPECT ANY NEGLECT REMEMBERS WE ARE AN ANIMALS ONLY VOICE.? RSPCA INSPECTOR 08705555999 . If only one person takes note then it is worth it.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2006, 08:57:44 AM »
I don't think we've ever been a nation of animal lovers.? People always have done, and unfortunately will continue to do, horrible things to animals (and people).? I think we're just more aware of it now, esp with the expansion of the media via the internet.? There are more people that care and more charities to publicise cruelty.? It's not that I'm defeatist, just that I don't believe there ever was a golden age when people were nicer to each other and didn't hurt animals.? I think neglect (which of course is cruelty) is the real worry as it's more pervasive and many who would criticise an act of outright cruelty turn a blind eye at casual neglect - eg not neutering, not taking an animal to the vet when it shows signs of illness..

Offline Roz

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 00:28:26 AM »
Hi Pete,

Good to see you posting over here.? I was thinking about you earlier this afternoon and wondering whether you had noticed the demise of the Forum....so glad you're with us.

The stats are depressing.? Nobody seems to care anymore.? Politicians who would once reply to your mail, irrespective of whether you agreed with their politics or not, now no longer bother.? All anyone care's about is celebrity.? Where's the country's morality or integrity gone?

We stopped being a country of animal lovers when we permitted the first Halal butcher to practice in this country! >:(

Best wishes to you all

Roz
You may think that what you do is insignificant, but it's important that you do it.  (Gandhi)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 22:44:47 PM »
They are truly shocking stats - and like you say, aren't even the full picture. I think that some of the national charities really need to do neutering drives, if there were less animals being born, then the population wouldn't be an issue, and there hopefully wouldn't be as much neglect.
Please spay your cat

Offline Beanie

• Senior Cat
  • Beanie
Are we a nation of animal lovers?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 22:25:23 PM »
I used to grow up thinking that the answer was a resounding 'Yes' and it may have been true to an extent. However, I saw these figures from the RSPCA tonight for the first time which are truly disturbing and horrific. These figures are only for the first 10 months of 2006

* 31,199 animals without access to water - 59% increase (on same period last year)
* 43,544 animals not receiving suitable veterinary treatment - 63% increase
* 73,008 animals kept in a dirty or unsuitable environment - 61% increase
* 29,185 animals unable to express normal behaviour - 73% increase

Remember, this is only one large organisation and doesn't include statistics from Cats Protection, Blue Cross, PDSA, etc.and that is the known cases.

Those figures are shameful in the extreme. It echoes my belief that despite many people thinking that a cat being re homed has solved a problem, neglectful or cruel ownership can be part of the problem as rescues will know.

It is why home checks are vital, insurance is preferable unless you can honestly say that you will keep a separate fund for all veterinary emergencies; to do that you need to know worst case scenario veterinary costs which is why the insurance route is easier.

These measures won't eliminate these statistical figures but they will help to significantly reduce it.

Owning a cat is a lifetime partnership.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mahatma Ghandi

"I am in favour of animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of a whole human being." - Abraham Lincoln

Link to CatChat