Author Topic: A REASON TO CHIP  (Read 3221 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: A REASON TO CHIP
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2006, 17:31:42 PM »
Aww
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 14:32:15 PM by Millys Mum »

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2006, 12:02:06 PM »
Don't know what you mean Ela!!!

Neither do I, the thought is too unimaginable

RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Littlebobo

• Hero Cat
  • Yumi, Moggchops, Mister and Chalky !!!
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2006, 11:23:38 AM »
It is imperative more people realise how important it is to chip your cat ......what a great story both of them :)
Fuss me Fuss me ..Come on I have things to do like Eating and sleeping !

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2006, 11:16:56 AM »
Don't know what you mean Ela!!!

He cost well in to 3 figures to sort his issues collar wounds, messed up legs and the hair pulling out but he now now twice the cat he was and swaggers everywhere and didn't leave in the mas breakout - he knows where he is wanted he never lost his trust in human kind and is now a daddy's boy his only issue is he doesn't always like cats but is learning!!!
 ;)
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2006, 11:05:26 AM »
.[quoteand keep in touch with vets and local rescues][/quote]

To be honest all vets and many rescues nowadays have chip readers, so perhaps your best course of action would be to advertise, advertise, advertise,  remember to say  been missing some time but may have just turned up after roaming around.

Offline shecat

• Senior Cat
  • Tilly Ollie and Loki
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2006, 10:56:07 AM »
Good Idea Ella,

I keep the posters up locally and keep in touch with vets and local rescues.  I think its time to go a lot further a field.  I know he's out there somewhere

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2006, 10:17:36 AM »
Only a couple of days ago someone rang to say they had been reunited with their cat who was chipped after about 15 months. It had been only about half a mile away. If I were you I you would start an advertising campaign again, leaflet the whole area 1000's if necessary.

Offline shecat

• Senior Cat
  • Tilly Ollie and Loki
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2006, 09:27:00 AM »
Reading this gives me hope, My Firbee went missing 5 months ago and I never stop looking for him.  I feel despondant some times, but knowing that cats can be reunited after so long cheers me up.  Chipping is vital.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2006, 09:03:07 AM »
Brady is all ours and was never going to be returned to them one way or the other

He wouldn't have suddenly gone missing,  would he?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 09:03:59 AM by Ela »

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2006, 09:00:19 AM »
Don't give up all hope. I have encountered some who give up after 2 weeks

2 weeks, I have people who have lost a cat a couple of days and ask for another. When I ask what have you done to try to find you cat they say Oh! I know it won't come back. I do ask them to look at my lost & Found page on our site or if they have no internet access advise them exactly what to so but you can tell half of them are not listening or writing down numbers.

I personally just could not home another cat to someone who can't be bothered to try to locate a lost cat. It also makes me very cross when someone says they want another cat because there’s has gone to live across the road or with a neighbour. They don’t get one from me, but unfortunately they will from somewhere.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2006, 23:11:41 PM »
I have just got the CP mag and am so pleased that it had a happy ending despite the RTA.  If only they could talk!

Thats one of the reasons we are so up for chipping all ours yes the whole 37 and the 4 at the bridge are all chipped including the ferals but we try to get that done when they are neutered/speyed as its one less thing for them to be worried about.

Our new vet was quite amazed we would id chip ferals tillwe pointed out they were our ferals and are treated the same way as the domestics and when we had the mass breakout I phoned the ID Chip people and it was easier to say who was still at home!

Good for us as our border collie is deaf and wears 2 tags so if he does go for a wonder then he can be returned home quickly and they know he is deaf from the ID people and his deaf tag.

I was also on the receiving end of a nasty case and after 18 months his former owners - who dumped him and were taken to court very kindly agreed if I paid the money they would let me change his chip!  I have to say that now Brady is all ours and was never going to be returned to them one way or the other the mess he was in when I found him in my old works yard - in the middle of nowhere at Christmas 2003 another baby with a forever home.
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Beanie

• Senior Cat
  • Beanie
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2006, 21:56:24 PM »
I am so pleased that you posted this Ela as I relate a similar time period story which few believe. When I tell owners this if their cat goes missing they assume that I am lying to make them feel better.

A microchipped cat went missing in the Dorking, Surrey area a few years back. There were the usual sitings but puss didn't turn up. The owner moved home after about 2 years and, in the diminishing hope of ever finding her cat, told the chipping co. of her change of address. 4 YEARS AFTER GOINFG MISSING the cat turned up in the same Dorking area looking not to bad for wear and a quick scan re-united owner and cat.

The lessons to be learned are simple:

1. Don't give up all hope. I have encountered some who give up after 2 weeks. :grr:
2. Always, always inform the MC company of an address change.
Owning a cat is a lifetime partnership.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mahatma Ghandi

"I am in favour of animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of a whole human being." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline sonya

• Distinguished Cat
  • Ozzy Daisy and Ebony
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 20:01:12 PM »
What a great story  :Luv:  Makes me glad my furbabes are all chipped
Cats are like vodkas-you cant just have one

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 19:01:33 PM »
We didn't take the cat in I think it was in Somerset.

would the cat recognise its owner after all this time?)
Pass, although I think it might
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 19:02:56 PM by Ela »

Offline lynne

• Adult Cat
  • Ziggy (9 yrs old)
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 18:40:29 PM »

I am so sorry the cat was in a RTA , hope its injuries are not too bad and he will make a fast recovery.

BUT...What a lovely lovely story, a miracle!  I am so happy for the owner to be reunited AND be happy about it.

Good luck puss, hope you are back home soon.
Wonder where he has been all this time...with another family no doubt!!

(would the cat recognise its owner after all this time?)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
A REASON TO CHIP
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 18:23:17 PM »
Please see copy of letter in the latest Cats Protection Mag:-

Recently, a cat called Hewy was rushed into the veterinary surgery where I work with injuries sustained from a road accident. As with all cats brought in without an owner, we scanned him for a microchip. He had one, so we were able to get the name and address of his owner from the National Database. We tried for weeks to contact the owner but to no avail.
One evening a nurse from our practice was out jogging when she saw some people standing outside the last known address we had for Hewy. The neighbours were very helpful; they said that Hewy's owner had moved some time ago but they might be able to track her down for us.
When Hewy's owner arrived, she said that it couldn't possibly be Hewy as he'd been missing for four years and was presumed dead. Her disbelief soon turned to tears when she saw the little cal - she just couldn't believe it was true.

Link to CatChat