Author Topic: Rescue and well, new cats!  (Read 2180 times)

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
Re: Rescue and well, new cats!
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2006, 20:46:34 PM »
If you have the time a former feral doesn't need to go out and can adapt to being a house cat- our oldest feral is in the vets guesstimate about 16 and has settled in really well uses a litter tray and does not go out by choice now, we also have 19 other ferals - 10 are house cats - 2 through choice they have always been indoors we took them back a year ago due to a change in their owners circumstances and the rest by our choice having spent 4 months trapping them after they broke out after we moved!

I hope all goes well for your family I would start plugging in feliway and do it as per Wizz'z suggestions - time and love will tame them or bring them to a point where all live happily in toleration.

Good luck!
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2006, 20:12:45 PM »
, but the kittens are still loose in my Garage not in a cage

How old so you think are the kittens? We take in dozens of ferals in a year and it is not very often that we can tame them down and home them as indoor/outdoor cats.  Kittens about 8 weeks old I have got them from as wild as they come to being able to hold them within 24 hrs. Mind you I have spent almost every minute of that time with them. I have them in a small pen and keep talking to them and giving them constant attention, whenthe feed have a  gauntlet on and stroke them with one finger and sometimes by the end of the feed I have been able to remove the gauntlet.
Kittens that come in older say 3-7 months take a little longer but we always keep them contained initially in a pen the size of the large travelling dog crates but again within a very short time they realize that we are not so bad.

Scruffy was one such kitten came in from the wild with 3 others and was the most hissy spitty kitten you can imagine.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 20:14:11 PM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2006, 18:23:46 PM »
I would recommend following Wizzs instructions to the letter and do not let Mist and your cats meet or see each other at all until you have gone through the sequence.

I am delighted to hear about Misty, lovely name btw, and hope that the introductions go well and she gets to know love again ;D

As far as the kittens are concerned, well Desley is an expert now she has had Shadow for a month LOL but as long as you are making progress with them I would continue how you are cos these are not young kittens buit over 6months pld so, I think a gradual process of getting tonknow you is best and at least they have space to rush around in the garage.

Well done for your persevierence and care  ;D

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006, 11:31:40 AM »
I would look at http://www.wizz-catz.co.uk/ about socializing. I suspect the mum is not a true feral but what I call a garden cat, that is once had a home but let down by the owner. The kittens really need containing in a much smaller space if they are to be easily tamed down.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline samginger97

• Kitten
Rescue and well, new cats!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2006, 11:11:43 AM »
I have just captured a stray and two kittens that are feral from my Garden with help from Pauline @ Wellcat, Gill and Teresa!

The mother is now back with me, in a cage recouperating after being neutered yesterday, but the kittens are still loose in my Garage not in a cage. They are coming out now when I am there and are getting used to the fact that when I go in I feed them. I know I need to neuter the kittens and will get them in as soon as I can. :Crazy:

I am taking my cats to the vets tonight for boosters and will be taking Misty next Friday for her first round of injections- this month will be expensive! What I need to know is how can I bring Misty into my house and introduce her to Whiskey and Ginger without causing any problems for my cats who are exclusively Indoor Cats and do not go outside? She will be entering their territory, and I am scared my two will go off the rails!

I know she will still go outside as I cannot confine her when she has been out so long but I do not want to stress my pair out. I am eventually hoping that the smaller Cats will join my two, they are around six months Old so its going to take me some time to socialize the 'kittens' anyway.

Any help is appreciated, just want the poor little sod to be loved! :Luv:

Sam

Link to CatChat