Cat Health & Behaviour > Health & Behaviour General

Elizabethan Collars (silly Q)

(1/3) > >>

Desley (booktigger):
I didn't think cats needed them with dissolvable stitches - vets dont take them out, so cats have to.

Millys Mum:
Do you mean her wound is kinda bumpy? Give it a day or 2 and itl flatten out!

Em:
If you have a cat flap and a determined cat, watch out - my Seth got out even with his collar on. :innocent: Charley didn't have one when she was spayed (vet doesn't believe in them and would rather restitch/do follow up visits free of charge), she pulled one end stitch out by accident when she was washing the wound and then basically slept for 8 days, at the end of which the stitches had started to come out of their own accord anyway... and she didn't try to go out at all - having said that it was a traumatic spay as she was pregnant at the time so it did take her longer to recover than it would have otherwise.  :(

Good luck and don't panic.

Oh, and don't just wash the face - cats hate being dirty so if I have one that can't clean itself I always 'wash' them gently with a damp cloth or kitchen towel - it's very soothing to them and seems to make them feel less sorry for themselves. Gosh I'm a soppy butter....  :-[

Beanie:
Hi Isabel,

I'm  a bit disappointed to read your post because wearing an Elizabethan collar is a common practice and I feel that your vet should be organized enough to provide you with a
--- Code: ---Do and Don't
--- End code ---
fact sheet or, at least, prepare you with verbal instructions.

One little tip which may or may not work. Does she lick you? If yes, you can turn facial wash time into fun by offering your hand for licking :P

You can then gently move that round her face so that she can see that you are effectively helping her to wash herself. I have tried that with Beanie who had to wear a collar for much longer than any cat I know, which upset me almost as much as it upset her. It worked and she looked forward to it. It all depends on the bond you have with your cat and patience.

Liza:
i didn't let mine out until after the 10 days, and the stiches removed.  But then my girls only tend to go out at the weekends now in the garden.  Don't like letting them out in the evenings when its dark.  Esp as I lost my last little boy kit, nearly a year ago on a dark night

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version