Author Topic: PETA - There's no such thing as a responsible breeder  (Read 9211 times)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Re: PETA - There's no such thing as a responsible breeder
« Reply #94 on: August 04, 2007, 14:32:03 PM »
But do they believe by being honest that honesty will allow them to rehome a cat/kitten when the very thing they are being honest about is setting off alarms?

Um ,that takes some thinking about. Possibly they do not realize the implications of what they say. Also as they talk they usually dig a hole deeper and deeper, which make me realize the first gut instints are correct.

We have a responsibility to our  little ones and need to get it right as someimes there are no second chances if we get it wrong.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #93 on: August 04, 2007, 14:18:59 PM »
But do they believe by being honest that honesty will allow them to rehome a cat/kitten when the very thing they are being honest about is setting off alarms?
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #92 on: August 04, 2007, 14:01:36 PM »
Are the under the illusion that honesty is the best policy? when we know that the only policy is whats best for the cat

Um. Honesty is always the best policy, however, when it comes to what we think is in a cats best interest then perhaps a big   white lie is understandable.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 14:02:34 PM by Ela »

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #91 on: August 04, 2007, 13:35:05 PM »
Are the under the illusion that honesty is the best policy? when we know that the only policy is whats best for the cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #90 on: August 04, 2007, 12:25:52 PM »
Yep, if those words were uttered, it's a definate no no

Believe me those words are uttered more times than one could imagine. Some even go one to say that they don't even like cats.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #89 on: August 04, 2007, 12:18:51 PM »
.... I don't want a cat but me kid does.

Yep, if those words were uttered, it's a definate no no! Who do they think is going to look after the cat?! (And if they're under the illusion it's their kids should they even have children?! ;) )
« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 16:45:29 PM by JackSpratt »

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #88 on: August 04, 2007, 12:14:05 PM »
this is a skill you have earned and not something that someone new to the game would have.

It is difficult to work out when new but we all have to start somewhere, new blood is always needed and they learn very quickly.

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #87 on: August 04, 2007, 11:48:10 AM »
Thats what I meant by trial,error and hard work thanks, this is a skill you have earned and not something that someone new to the game would have.

thanks again :)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #86 on: August 04, 2007, 11:37:48 AM »
I think that's a fair question, actually. Just because someone isn't articulate, doesn't mean they aren't capable of caring for an animal well.

It is a fair question, however I didn't say being  inarticulate as a reason. It irwhat they say as well as the way they say it e.g. if someone says 'ayah got a cat cos I want one' and said in a manner you would not expect a dog to be spoken to (Ops 7 words) that is not a good start, or I don't want a cat but me kid does. I know more than 6 words but by the 5th word alarm bells ring. You just know and when you ask more questions your initial thoughts are confirmed. I am sure others in rescue know what I mean.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 12:26:11 PM by Ela »

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #85 on: August 04, 2007, 11:09:00 AM »
I'm not knocking you but how do you tell in 6 words wether they are fit to home a cat/kitten or not, is it the words they use or is it some sort of profiling that you have matured through trial,error,hardwork

tia

I think that's a fair question, actually. Just because someone isn't articulate, doesn't mean they aren't capable of caring for an animal well.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #84 on: August 04, 2007, 11:08:29 AM »
I'm not knocking you but how do you tell in 6 words wether they are fit to home a cat/kitten or not, is it the words they use or is it some sort of profiling that you have matured through trial,error,hardwork

I have no idea, I cant explain it is just gut feeling and the way they ask also sometimes what they say. Years ago occasionally we gave people who we were not quite sure about, the benefit of the doubt. In every case for one reason or another the cat/kitten had to come back. So now we always go by gut feeling.

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #83 on: August 04, 2007, 10:59:35 AM »

tia

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #82 on: August 04, 2007, 09:55:25 AM »
I'm not sure I'd be strong enough to cope with the onslaught on a regular basis.

It is surprising how strong one becomes when a cats life is in danger.  ;D Also what a lair you can become, one thing I hate is people who tell lies as I think if you tell the truth  there are no problems only solutions. However, in the interest of a cat/kittens I will tell a whopper. e.g. yesterday someone rang for a kitten, I knew within the first 6 words that there was no way I would home one to her and if I won't home one I will not pass it on to the fosterers as that is double standards. So I told her the only kittens we had were only a few days old. Obviously I know she will get one from somewhere so I always say if you do get one from somewhere else and then go on to give advice and ask that they ring me when the kitten is 5 months old and I will pay for the neuter/spay.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 10:01:12 AM by Ela »

Offline coastalkitty

• Adult Cat
« Reply #81 on: August 04, 2007, 09:50:48 AM »
Thanks for taking the time to answer my query on CP guys, its much appreciated.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 09:51:24 AM by coastalkitty »

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #80 on: August 04, 2007, 09:41:17 AM »
Even getting  only a few hundred pounds that wouldbe more then someone like dawn getting

Please remember we are dealing with over 1000 cats a year. Dawn does a wonderful job but  If I was a one man band  many cats in  Chesterfield would suffer as I alone could not possibly deal with 1000+ cats a year and raise the necessary funds.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 10:01:34 AM by Ela »

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #79 on: August 04, 2007, 09:38:20 AM »
as expected all the rescues that were contacted couldn't help or just didn't answer the phone

Not to answer the phone in my opinion when you are in rescue is very wrong. However, even on here people have told me not too answer sometimes (off course advice I would ignore).

If we were told of a situation and all the fosterers were out already doing a rescue or already doing some kind of cat care  that could not be left that perhaps would be reason why they could not help at that time.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #78 on: August 04, 2007, 09:29:03 AM »
The Dogs Trust can move dogs and resources around the country in response to regional difficulties

Cats Protection do that, I am always receiving mail from HQ about situations, and asking if we can take some in. I know in the past vans full of cats have been taken from such places as Liverpool, Gernsey and some relocated to one or more  of the HQ sponsored shelters.

but with the CP it seems to be a case of branches not communicating and not really cooperating.

I know I always get back to HQ,  but if you have no room which is the case of most branches you cannot co-operate.
I cannot agree or disagree with the statement  'it seems to be the case  seems to be a case of branches not communicating and not really cooperating'  as I do not work at HQ I do not know the full facts. I suppose I could  assume but without the full facts I think I would be wrong to jump to conclusions. Also knowing me I would jump the wrong way ;D
« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 10:14:40 AM by Ela »

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #77 on: August 04, 2007, 09:02:24 AM »
It's a shame more rescues can't work together to take the load off sometimes,

I know what you are saying but we as a branch are also under pressure, as indeed I expect are most rescues, we cannot possibly take  the load of another rescue. Only once in 16 years can I remember when we had a pen free for a couple of days. The  list of cats we have to come in is enormous and at the moment we can only deal with the drop dead urgent cases and that is because we are putting cats perhaps where we shouldn't.  e.g. emergency pens for only really suitable for RTA's in lounges etc, but what do you do if someone brings a cat to your door or dumps them in a shed our in your garden.  Apart from easily homeable cats, (if only we got the calls for a cat) we have 5 FIV cats, can't remember if Virginia said 15 or 20 ferals,  about 6 very timid cats, 4 'they who must be obeyed cats', 4 'golden oldies,' more kittens than I care to  think and  about and a dog. I expect I have forgotten some but cannot be bothered to look at each fosterers list. Oh! Just remembered already, 4 cats that are receiving nursing care which hopefully will become in the easily homeable cat category.

the other is there if needed even if it's for the emotional support.

It goes without saying that we are always here for emotional support for anyone. As preciously posted I think a few kind words and a bit of advice can turn what seems a mountain into a molehill.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 11:04:47 AM by Ela »

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #76 on: August 04, 2007, 08:39:32 AM »
Im not very up on how the CP works, is it similar to the RSPCA whereby local branches are self supporting, but use the umbrella name of the organisation.

Yes, branches must be self-supporting (some branches do receive a very small grant from HQ). If we can't pay the bills we are out. When someone decides to start a branch obviously the have to raise some funds but you are given,  trap, crush box, fax machine, woods lamp, scanner, and a few years ago each branch that did not have access to a computer was given one, I am not sure if they still do that or if it was a one off. Each branch is also given a grant towards the cost of neutering and spaying, however some branches run out very quickly and need to pay for the rest of the year out of branch funds, although if the don't have the money they an put people on to HQ  for voucher as indeed can any independent rescue. A branch can apply for a commemorative open (Lindy Lu) however I know this year there has not been enough in the kitty to provide one yet this year. I am ordering a treble pen today which will cost us about £4280 plus over £2000 to prepare the base and provide electric. Then of course there is the cost of the all the essentials, electric beds, scratching posts ,  trays, toys etc. But worth it if we can take in a cat or more usually cats from 3 more situations.

Although we paid for our Van the insurance is covered under their 'blanket' insurance which is a saving.

many people are under the impression that when they donate to the RSPCA they are helping their local branch,

It is the same with CP I am often told Oh! we donate to you every month when in fact they put on the Standing order/Direct debit form Cats Protection, in that case the money goes to HQ. In fact branches cannot accept Direct debit donations anyway. I once put in our Newsletter if you are donating to Cats Protection and wish or think  the Local Branch is receivng the donation please give Helen  a ring to confirm that we are actually receiving the donation. She received quite a few calls  from people who thought they were donating to us but we were not actually receiving a donation from. It is not HQ's fault as they would not know who was to receive the donation if the branch was not mentioned. they cannot automatically assume it is meant for the local branch. Also they need money  to keep CP solvent and they also have a Cattery at HQ that I think holds about 200 cats. Of course they also  need to fund the £6.000000  a year neuter/spay bill.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 09:14:05 AM by Ela »

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #75 on: August 04, 2007, 00:25:47 AM »
but I do agree when you have a headquarters behind you, financially it would be so much easier and you are not having to go it alone.  It's a shame more rescues can't work together to take the load off sometimes, me and T have done this on occasion and we both know the other is there if needed even if it's for the emotional support.

MBll

« Reply #74 on: August 04, 2007, 00:10:52 AM »
 :-:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #73 on: August 04, 2007, 00:04:44 AM »
I see what you're saying, RR. But credit where credits due - all the rescue people on here work their a**es regardless of whether they have a main headquarters or not.

I totally agree with that statement.  With the ferals in Manchester that we've been trying to sort, as expected all the rescues that were contacted couldn't help or just didn't answer the phone.  I know it can sometimes be a pain in the rear and tiring being 24/7, but I'm glad the likes of us on here don't work like that.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #72 on: August 03, 2007, 23:52:22 PM »
I see what you're saying, RR. But credit where credits due - all the rescue people on here work their a**es off, regardless of whether they have a main headquarters or not.

I just wanted to say how amazing I think you all are - I'm not sure I'd be strong enough to cope with the onslaught on a regular basis.

Back on track, it really is a topic people will never agree on 100%. I know of very responsible pedigree breeders, it doesn't mean I feel there's a necessity for them to do what they do. That's just my opinion.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 00:09:41 AM by JackSpratt »

MBll

« Reply #71 on: August 03, 2007, 23:10:49 PM »
Even getting  only a few hundred pounds that wouldbe more then someone like dawn getting & althou you were left to  raise that kind on money on your own which is pretty good goining at least you managed & had the manpower even if it was thin on the ground again thats something a 1 man rescues could even get off the ground

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #70 on: August 03, 2007, 22:32:58 PM »
Last year we were allocated from our HQ a few hundred pounds which did not cover 1 weeks vet bills, we raised £49.205.21 ourselves.

Wow Ela, that is amazing, well done - lots of respect for all that you (and the other rescue peoples on here) do.

Lots of kitties out there would be very grateful if they could only speak! (and if you could only explain why you stuck the needle in them/put the tablet down their throat/cut their bits off  :rofl: )
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #69 on: August 03, 2007, 21:59:55 PM »
Im not very up on how the CP works, is it similar to the RSPCA whereby local branches are self supporting, but use the umbrella name of the organisation.  many people are under the impression that when they donate to the RSPCA they are helping their local branch, unless they give direct to their local branch thats not the case.  the money from Direct Debits for example  go to the central fund not local.   sorry if this is off topic, but Im really interested to know how CP works funding wise.

I volunteer for Canterbury CP. It's basically a franchise. We can apply to HQ for help - sometimes they give it, sometimes they don't. But it's mostly up to individual branches to fend for themselves.

Personally, I find this is a very bad way to run things. What we should have is a national policy and a national backup. The Dogs Trust can move dogs and resources around the country in response to regional difficulties, but with the CP it seems to be a case of branches not communicating and not really cooperating.  :(

Offline coastalkitty

• Adult Cat
« Reply #68 on: August 03, 2007, 21:35:59 PM »
Im not very up on how the CP works, is it similar to the RSPCA whereby local branches are self supporting, but use the umbrella name of the organisation.  many people are under the impression that when they donate to the RSPCA they are helping their local branch, unless they give direct to their local branch thats not the case.  the money from Direct Debits for example  go to the central fund not local.   sorry if this is off topic, but Im really interested to know how CP works funding wise.

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #67 on: August 03, 2007, 19:37:02 PM »
You know when you read statistics like that you should be applauded

Well done :)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #66 on: August 03, 2007, 19:31:06 PM »
where money can be allocated to these little branches

Last year we were allocated from our HQ a few hundred pounds which did not cover 1 weeks vet bills, we raised £49.205.21 ourselves.

they cant even get volunteers

Neither can we.

I think one man bands do a wonderful job, but please remember that many CP groups are only a very small bands, we for instance are desparate for volunteers and   have up to 100 cats in care at any one time and during a year  we help over 1000  cats.

MBll

« Reply #65 on: August 03, 2007, 18:21:48 PM »
Not to highjack the thread again but  see alll this is  just giving me toothache........replies on a postcard lol

MBll

« Reply #64 on: August 03, 2007, 18:18:18 PM »
Well I won't argue with that lol

Why not lassie lol Go on which part are ya no goini argue lol

Anyhoo Im goini add  here that sspca/rspca can learn a few things from the small homed rescues ....1 being nueter the animals BEFORE rehoming not ask the folk to come back in a week/few weeks time.

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #63 on: August 03, 2007, 18:14:25 PM »
Well I won't argue with that lol

MBll

« Reply #62 on: August 03, 2007, 18:09:22 PM »
I think the cp suffers as much as the rest of us - especially when it comes to a lack of volunteers.
They also get branded with a 'could do better' label when people assume that they get more support than they do.

OK to put it another way .....with what CP has in the way of finace etc I still say that they  somewhat better off then the folk like dawn the 'small homebased'  1s.    Im not knocking CP  but they do have support that is lacking in the one maned rescues.

Rescues whatever animals the deal with should all work together/support each other networking so to speak, this is especialy so for the larger rescues like sspca/rspca as they have  more resources at hand & should support small/homebased rescues instead of snubbingcertain rescues & concerned more with the money side

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #61 on: August 03, 2007, 17:35:49 PM »
I think the cp suffers as much as the rest of us - especially when it comes to a lack of volunteers.
They also get branded with a 'could do better' label when people assume that they get more support than they do.

MBll

« Reply #60 on: August 03, 2007, 17:19:17 PM »
Although I must say that Cats Protection are part of a large rescue but 270 branches are run by unpaid  slaves volunteers, who are often available 24/7. It is only the approx 30 shelters that are only open limited hours.

Well there you go ela CP might have little branches with unpaid volunteers but they also have a head office with paid staff where money can be allocated to these little branches......so all in all its a large rescue

On the other hand dawn & others like her are on their own  they cant even get volunteers

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2007, 16:54:52 PM »
A lot of what you say  makes me think you perhaps do understand the plight of rescues. Although I must say that Cats Protection are part of a large rescue but 270 branches are run by unpaid  slaves volunteers, who are often available 24/7. It is only the approx 30 shelters that are only open limited hours.

I guess a lot of tears are shed  daily & fuastration trying to educate the halftwits thats only equiped with half a brain cell.

Whilst I agree that many tears are shred,, sadly many of the people who bring tears to our eyes are very well educated people who should know better.

MBll

« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2007, 16:35:31 PM »

Small homebased  rescues like dawns  do have it harder then the bigger ones as they cant clock off at 5 & have a 5 day working week with days off/sick pay/pension nor are they paid ...all this you get with larger rescues.  Homebased rescues  cant escape the  phone or someone chapping the door at all hours....they basicly are there 24/7/52.    Also keeping these small rescues going  comes out of their own pockets.

They juggle with the rescue...their own animals ...their family....& their job......not easly ....not forgetting any emergency animal or human.      When they are out trapping in all weather others are in bed.   I guess its easy for those not invloved in rescue to say this, that & the next thing, & question why/when an animal is PTS......as if it was their fault that they should have done more....but i think many folk dont see the main issue here .... & that is theres MORE animals  then responsible homes ......this is the sad state of things &  its is getting a lot worse now. 

When the   rescue is FULL & no more can be taken in & SAD as it is that an animal is PTS  for those that say dont have it PTS  where   do they suggest it goes?   The small homebased rescues are in the front line daily  & when the larger  rescues refuse to take animals they  tell the public who to go to but they are not forthcoming  to give them financial help or support.

As one small rescue  told me that when you have a rescue you lose  friends/relatives as you have no time to spend with them another small rescue  had been going for years & now  was forced to stop cos of family problems effected by the rescue

I do admire dawn & others like her its extremely  hard both physical & emotional dealing with abused, neglected, terrified etc  animals day in & day out BUT the  hardest  aspect of  a rescue is dealing or TRYING to deal with the public ....US the so called intelligent human.....aye aint that a frickin joke.

I guess a lot of tears are shed  daily & fuastration trying to educate the halftwits thats only equiped with half a brain cell.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #57 on: August 03, 2007, 16:32:19 PM »
The lovely family who ended up with Jimmy were actually after kittens......but they saw his gorgeous mush and fell head over heels  :Luv:  :Luv:

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2007, 16:24:10 PM »
(remember the gorgeous amy)

:drool;
I loved her - I still have her picture on my flash drive  ;D

I LOVE ragdoll kitties... but would rescue one as I would never get a ped kitten from a breeder but that is my opinion... I do find it hard to justify breeding when there are so many unwanted kitties out there - but as this thread shows - alot of people disagree with that (not getting into it!) I don't think bad of those who do get kitties from ped breeders, that is their choice.

Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2007, 14:55:24 PM »
But you know it wouldn't work like that.

In truth it does. Between Dec and April when everyone wants kittens  people tend to find homes for their own cats kittens and  we have very few in care, When someone asks for a kitten and we say we do not have  and any would they consider a cat, you would be surprised how many people do go on to adopt one or two cats, and surprisingly many that phone for kittens go on to adopt 'golden oldies'

Link to CatChat