Author Topic: Car park Charlie - Where are you?  (Read 15152 times)

Offline Sarah (seldom_use)

• Super Cat
Re: Car park Charlie - great news!
« Reply #84 on: August 14, 2007, 08:49:51 AM »
i've been following this thread in the background and just wanted to say good luck ;D

hope you catch the little sweetheart :)

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #83 on: August 14, 2007, 08:31:30 AM »
Okay, Lunch time it is  :) really hope I can catch him today.

Will post if anything happens  :shy:
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #82 on: August 14, 2007, 08:27:48 AM »
bin sacks rustle in the breeze

Oh! I was thinking of black sacks, like coal sacks, silly me. :doh:
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #81 on: August 14, 2007, 08:25:39 AM »
Dawn as you normally feed at lunchtime I would set it then, bin sacks rustle in the breeze and can make an off putting noise to a nervous boy so if you cover trap weight the bags down.
Good Luck

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #80 on: August 14, 2007, 08:25:14 AM »
As it is a means to an end I would  put the trap out for as long as possible. I would put a sack on top so if the little one goes in at least he will not get rain from all angles

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #79 on: August 14, 2007, 08:20:03 AM »
Okay I have my pilchards and trap - need some quick advice...

I am in training today so I can either.. put the trap out now and check it throughout lunch (12-1 ish) and then at training finish until home time (5pm) and if he is in there at any point I will put the trap in my car (raining today  :( )

Or put it out at lunch and check at 5pm? (or whenever training finishes... possibly around 4pm)

I wish it wasnt raining today - I have some black sacks, do you think I should put one on the top so the inside of the cage doesnt get wet? I have a towel to put over the top once he is caught but I dont want to put it on now for it to get wet and make him cold.
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #78 on: August 13, 2007, 16:59:18 PM »
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

It is a small world indeed!

Charlie looks absolutely lovely and just the sort I tend for fall for.  :Luv:  Pitty he's so far away... I'm sorely tempted.  :innocent:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #77 on: August 13, 2007, 15:35:54 PM »
 :rofl:

Shall I just keep him in there til 5?   he will be coverd with blanket etc and i thought maybe put a "do not touch" on the blanket so people dont investigate

If you leave him in the trap put him in your car as long as its not hot, some people do evil things to cats left in traps  >:(

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #76 on: August 13, 2007, 15:33:00 PM »
Aha...the Cat Crusader strikes again  :)

I will be dead at this bloody rate  :tired:

Offline Ralph's mum (angie)

• Super Cat
  • Rainbow Bridge Babies Bob, Max and Ralph 🌈💔
  • Slave to: Harvey and Ruby the mutts!!
« Reply #75 on: August 13, 2007, 15:31:51 PM »
 :rofl: :rofl: small world but I wouldn't like to paint it  :rofl: :rofl:

Good Luck girls x
Cats don't come when they are called,
They take a message and get back to you later.
                           Wilfred P. Lampton

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #74 on: August 13, 2007, 15:30:54 PM »
Aha...the Cat Crusader strikes again  :)

I bet your feeling pretty relieved now Dawn (Cheese)  ;)

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #73 on: August 13, 2007, 15:25:23 PM »
Small world eh  :rofl:  I literally walked in, put my computer on and saw an email from Gina......why me  :Crazy:  :Crazy:  ;)

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #72 on: August 13, 2007, 15:23:35 PM »
:Hi:

Sorry I couldnt talk much on the phone I am a bit  :shify: about talking about him now!

Will be nice to meet you though  :rofl:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #71 on: August 13, 2007, 15:22:34 PM »
It is DiddyDawn... the number she gave me on the phone matches her number on CatChat  :rofl:

Small world eh?

:Crazy:  :Crazy:  I hadn't even looked on this post and I've just spotted it's the same bloody cat I got the email about  :shify:

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #70 on: August 13, 2007, 15:20:54 PM »
It is DiddyDawn... the number she gave me on the phone matches her number on CatChat  :rofl:

Small world eh?

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
Re: Car park Charlie
« Reply #69 on: August 13, 2007, 15:10:18 PM »
Great news! :yesss: :attention: :ok:

I sent out a mass email earlier on as "urgent" to every rescue in Cheshire area from Catchat (except T, I know you are busy  ;) ) asking for help with Charlie and a lady from Cat Rescue Ellesmere Port emailed me saying she is full but knows what it is like - and she would pass me onto someone who deals with ferals..

hang on.. thinking about it.. person is called Dawn - lives in Holywell - is that our Dawn?  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: just looking from screen to the info i've written down... that would be amusing if it is!

She said she has a farm where he could go, or if he is tame she will try to find a home for him - I just have to trap him tomorrow!  ;D
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 15:16:09 PM by Cheesecat (Dawn) »

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #68 on: August 13, 2007, 14:30:24 PM »
Maybe if you put a note on it saying sick animal peeps might be less tempted  ;)

What a difficult situ for you  :hug:

if the workers are so wanting to keep him around why will they not want him vet checked, flea'd & wormed....a nice warm place to sleep etc.....

I wonder if they treat their children in the same manner  >:(

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #67 on: August 13, 2007, 12:17:19 PM »
Ela, I couldnt do that - not least because I dont know who they are and I havent long started here (3rd week)

But also, the car park is in easy view walking from building to building etc so colleagues will see the trap and know what I am up to even if I dont mention it myself.. would be too fishy!

I stupidly forgot the blanket and papers I was going to put in/over the trap so he might go in >:( so I will do it tomorrow - I am thinking if I put out the trap at lunchtime and book a vets appt (CP lady says they fill up quick) which I can cancel if dont catch him - hopefully I will have him by 5pm - but what if I catch him straight away? Shall I just keep him in there til 5?  :( he will be coverd with blanket etc and i thought maybe put a "do not touch" on the blanket so people dont investigate? Dont want him getting close and running off!

I am training tomorrow so I wont really be able to keep checking on it until home time... what do you think?

Feel so clueless!! :stupid:

No sightings yet today, I had a walk around earlier on  :(

« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 12:18:40 PM by Cheesecat (Dawn) »

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #66 on: August 13, 2007, 11:20:31 AM »
....im sure he'l of been in worse situations

I agree, if you just place a towel or something over the trap. At least it is a means to a better live after.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #65 on: August 13, 2007, 11:02:41 AM »
Its going to be hard to trap him though I think and I cant leave the trap out all day because if he gets in there early, I have nothing to do with him until 5pm when I can leave to go to the vets (wont be allowed to leave early for him, I can just tell)

When we trapped Blackie (true feral) he stayed in the trap until the next morning so Charlie should'nt have that bad a time in there....im sure he'l of been in worse situations  ;)

Put the trap down and wait and see what 5pm brings  :hug:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #64 on: August 13, 2007, 08:43:50 AM »
(wont be allowed to leave early for him, I can just tell)

Do you not have a sympathetic First Aider who could advise the boss that you are not too well and need to go home? Not that I would have ever have done this when I was a First aider when there was a worthy cause you understand.  ;)

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #63 on: August 13, 2007, 08:34:41 AM »
 :thanks: for support

I have a problem today though - I forgot that Phil starts his new job today (I am awful with dates etc) and so does not have any more weekdays off.

This gives me a problem as I was going to set the trap and then when Charlie is caught I could call Phil and he could come and take him to the vets. My work are not understanding about him at all and think I should just leave him be but he seems like he definitely needs vet attention and no way am I just leaving him there.

Its going to be hard to trap him though I think and I cant leave the trap out all day because if he gets in there early, I have nothing to do with him until 5pm when I can leave to go to the vets (wont be allowed to leave early for him, I can just tell)

Shall I wait and leave the trap at 4.30 and then keep checking? there isnt much chance of catching him right when I need to though as I sometimes dont see him for a day or two.

Or.. if I come back at night to get him, I would have to wait until the next day to take him to the vets and I dont know where I could put him, and he would be terrified probably.

Anyone got any good ideas? I really want to help him and I think I am pretty much his only hope - I have been near enough told that i would be wrong to remove him as staff/patients like to feed him - but if they like him that much they would want him to live somewhere with regular food and a nice warm bed...  :(

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #62 on: August 12, 2007, 22:09:55 PM »
Aw, bless him, he looks like a cutie  :Luv:  Glad you gaining his/her trust as well, will make trapping Charlie much easier I would think  ;D

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2007, 18:50:25 PM »
Aww bless his dirty socks  :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:
He certainly doesnt have a feral glare, well done for gaining his trust  ;D

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
  • Miss Jasmine <3 (R.I.P Special girl)
« Reply #60 on: August 11, 2007, 13:18:24 PM »
Poor wee thing looks like he's been through the wars  :(
Well done for what you're doing for him, Dawn.

Offline Bobjay

• Adult Cat
« Reply #59 on: August 11, 2007, 11:51:54 AM »
He looks a real darling puss and I do hope he finds a proper home; a puss like that deserves much better and good on you for looking after him.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #58 on: August 11, 2007, 10:12:00 AM »
  not sure I want to be hunted ...

;D

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2007, 09:59:40 AM »
 ;) not sure I want to be hunted ...

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #56 on: August 11, 2007, 09:30:33 AM »
Bless him/her. The sooner out of there the better and I am sure you will then rest easier. Then perhaps you can start hunting the black cat ;D

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2007, 07:41:44 AM »
Charlie is fab. He reminds me of those cartoon cats you see. You know the "boys in the hood" type. All he's missing is the top hat!  :evillaugh:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2007, 23:43:33 PM »
Charlie is lovely and hope that he will be OK  ;D

Offline Ellie

• Super Cat
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2007, 23:37:58 PM »
Awwww bless his wee paws, Charlie is a sweetheart  :Luv:

I love B&Ws  :Luv:

Dawn you are a star for looking out for him  and I also have everything crossed for Monday :hug: :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2007, 23:07:31 PM »
Aww bless him, he looks a right old scruffbag.  Good on you for looking out for him  :hug:  Got everything crossed for Monday  ;D

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2007, 20:56:36 PM »
Sounds like he is lost and alone, rather than a feral.  It would be great if you could get him to the Wigan vet and then you (we) can take it from there.

You are doing fantastically well and I know I am not alone in rooting for Charlie (I would guess he is male from the pic).

:hug:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2007, 20:07:23 PM »
Thanks  :)

Me thinks now though that maybe Charlie isn't as feral as i first thought. I came out from work and he/she was lying in the same position and hadnt been near the food under my car - so I brought it over to him/her (will just say him as used to saying that!) he was all curled up asleep.

I made little tutting noises so he wouldnt be shocked to see me and he got up to see the food - he was making little wheezing noises when he breathed  :'( He let me get alot closer than normal (about 1-2 metres away) and I put the food down - he must have been starving cause he went right over and started wolfing it down - he even starting using his paw as a little hand to get out the last few bits (I love it when cats do that!)

Then a woman and child started coming over going "ooooh cat" etc and i thought " :censored: great.... they'll make him run away" so I said to them "can you not come any closer please, he is a stray and is scared" and the woman spoke to me about him saying there is another cat too, a black one and that one nearly got ran over today - a van had to do an emergency stop  :'( I have never seen the black one, it might not come onto our side of the grounds maybe, but this just made me think that more than ever they need to be taken away from there.

Anyway, after that I thought, well sod it if he is eating I will go and fill the bowl up again, so I slowly went over and took the bowl and he kept an eye on me but didnt really flinch. I came back with the tin of half eaten food and he looked up at me and did a big, rough meeeoowww  ;D cause he knew I had more food for him. I am not supposed to feed him at all, I have even stopped talking about him in work now so I felt really concious of the fact I was standing in a really empty part of the car park, in view of where the woman who told me off's window is - with a tin of cat food in my hand  :rofl:

I tried filling the bowl (and he came right over, I could have touched him but didnt want to push it) and started eating. I moved it back a foot or so behind a bush but i think he was a bit too weary to walk past me to get it. I went to walk off hoping he would smell it was there and go over to eat it but he just looked up at me with the food can in my hand and did another big rough meow at me  :Luv: I walked back to the car and sat in it for a minute hoping he would smell the food in the bowl but he kept looking over at me.

I started to call Phil to ask if he thought I should stay while he ate it, but I turned round and he was eating it!  ;D

Up close though, he does look a state, he has wounds on his ears, I am guessing from scratching flea bites? He has little patches of fur missing and he is filthy  :(

I took a picture of him to show anyone who is interested

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2007, 19:36:30 PM »
good luck with Charlie, Dawn. S/he's lucky to have someone like you and sounds like s/he's seriously into pilchards :D.
hope his life looks up really soon poor wee boy, er, girl. Whatever.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2007, 18:04:09 PM »
Keep up the good work Dawn ... good job s/he has been called Charlie it's a bisexual name.

ooops modified ... I meant a Unisex name  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 18:06:03 PM by Sam (Fussy_Furball) »
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2007, 15:54:38 PM »
After not seeing Charlie for a whole week (other people have but I havent)  he is back!  :clap:

Hope he eats the food I have left him out today - always feels like a bit of a stealth mission trying to do it without anyone noticing  :rofl:
On Monday I left him pilchards and he dragged the bowl right out from under my car and right into the middle of the car park to eat it - thanks for blowing my cover Charlie-boy  :rofl:

Still no space for him in Warrington - I rang a lovely lady who works for Wigan CP and she said that I can take him into her vets to get him neutered on monday if he needs it (but thinks he will be stockier if he was) he might even be a spayed lady  :-[! and flea and worm he/she.

I just need to catch him on Monday now. At least he will get a health check even if he doesnt have a home to go to yet.

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2007, 15:56:48 PM »
Don't worry Ela, I will just not mention him anymore cause I think people think I will upset the people who feed him scraps etc - but I said its ok to say you are upset he will go when you get to go home to your nice food and nice warm bed when he is out in all weathers with no food.

I will call a lady from CP who I have had contact with a few times (she helped us with homechecking so we could get Gerti from CCG - she also got her spayed for us, and I collected food for her at Christmas) she is a bit out of Warrington area but she isnt the type that can rest knowing there is a needy cat out there  ;D hope she can help. I didnt want to call her as she isnt strictly Warrington but I think she will be my last hope!

Warrington CP passed me on to the RSPCA so I have their number but don't want to call them really.

Offline Ellie

• Super Cat
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2007, 15:29:22 PM »
Oh Dawn you are a star  :hug:

Charlie sounds gorgeous and I hope that a space can be found somewhere for this wee guy  :Luv:

Link to CatChat