Author Topic: Ragdoll Cats  (Read 3162 times)

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
Re: Ragdoll Cats
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2007, 09:01:11 AM »
Expensive here too, I paid £93 for Hobbes in April and that was for his vaccinations, microchip and neutering and that was with a 10% discount on the neutering. I think it was supposed to be around £45 for the op.

Crikey! Maybe Chester was actually cheap for something then...  :evillaugh:
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline Ann Clarke (Tabby cat)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Dylan 1999 (approx) - 26/12/09. Love you forever.
    • Gateshead CP
  • Slave to: Hobbes and Luna
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2007, 17:49:54 PM »
Expensive here too, I paid £93 for Hobbes in April and that was for his vaccinations, microchip and neutering and that was with a 10% discount on the neutering. I think it was supposed to be around £45 for the op.

Offline Sarah (seldom_use)

• Super Cat
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2007, 16:29:42 PM »
We must have expensive vets up here :evillaugh:

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2007, 16:27:29 PM »
£32 to microchip!!!  :Crazy: :Crazy:

Ron from lostcatsbrghton gets the chips for £3.50 and fits them himself.  :sneaky: Our local vet will do one for £12 if you ask nicely.

£55 to neuter a male! £75 to neuter a female!  :Crazy:  :Crazy:

Where is this person getting their prices from?  :shify:

Thats what I thought... overestimating if I look at the prices of my vet..
£18 to microchip Cheese tomorrow and i'm sure it only cost £30 when we spayed her.. and i didnt have to take a day off work either lol.
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2007, 14:09:59 PM »
Our vets give us a good discount but as we have 37 animals with them what else coud they do!!!!

I dread to think how much all your microchips and vaccinations/boosters etc would cost otherwise!!  :Crazy:
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2007, 13:15:05 PM »
I have a ragdoll - Minmin the Clan Cats posh totty she is now 4 and we got her by rescue as she was weeing everywhere and had never been taught to use a litter tray - that was a delight in our multi household, she now has indoor/outdoor access and uses the bidet - she has never mastered the litter tray but she is now 99% better than when she came and is my joy - she is a chocilate seale point and has amazing azure blue eyes.

Our vets give us a good discount but as we have 37 animals with them what else coud they do!!!!

I found a wonderful vet after moving and it broke my heart to leave our previous vets as we could visit late in the evening if we had kids in and they understood our furkids including the nasty ferals and finding someone to top that was a challange but after 11 weeks I got my practice but they still get a bit wobbly at the 9 cat/1 dog visit!!!!! :evillaugh:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2007, 12:10:57 PM »
Must be that Scotland is expensive for vets lol.

Offline em1209

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2007, 10:00:16 AM »
Oooh Sarah how exciting  :wow:. I was looking at getting a raggie, but we decided that having a complete indoor cat would be impractical for us. But luckily I found a friend of a friend whose raggie had escaped and had a night on the town with the local romeo. So Polly and Fergus are half ragdoll and half goodness knows what!

Keep us all posted and I'm looking forward to the pictures already  :Luv:!!

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2007, 09:46:31 AM »
Glasgow Pinkbear  ;D

Glasgow?  :shify:

Either you need more vets so there's more competition, or you need to all come down here, then.  :sneaky:

• Super Cat
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2007, 09:38:09 AM »
Glasgow Pinkbear  ;D

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2007, 09:32:28 AM »
Which part of the world are we talking about here, then? We are in Kent. London and South East prices were supposed to be the higest in the country I thought?  :shify:

I recently did a price check up of our regular vets for the CP. Most expensive male castration was £36 and most expensive female was £49.50. Cheapest (to CP) was £21 male, £31.50 female.

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2007, 08:49:58 AM »
Last time I checked at my vet a few months ago it's £25 for a microchip here (and they won't do discounts even if you take in a whole litter of kittens to be chipped) and I have no doubt it will go up to £30 soon. When Tigger was spayed in 2005 it was £60 then and prices have risen since.

• Super Cat
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2007, 08:40:47 AM »

Ron from lostcatsbrghton gets the chips for £3.50 and fits them himself.  :sneaky: Our local vet will do one for £12 if you ask nicely.

Pinkbear, that must be the average prices up here, Charlie is being neutered tomorrow and it costs £55.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2007, 01:52:35 AM »

• Super Cat
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2007, 19:01:56 PM »
Apparantly the breeder was saying that a lot of Ragdolls are being stolen around here and Edinburgh. People broke into a breeders in Edinburgh taking some of her cats and a lot of new kittens  :(

So that's why she insists on Micro-chipping even though they must be indoor cats.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2007, 18:56:49 PM »
You can just buy a scanner, cost about £100  ;D

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2007, 18:40:57 PM »
yep thats great, she'll have the scanner probs so be able to check its gone in etc ok.

I'm not sure if cody's breeder does it herself or not, she has a scanner though and scanned him to prove it was in ok etc but she works at a vets so thats probs why she has it.

• Super Cat
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2007, 18:35:35 PM »
She's in Greenock Lynn, not too far from me :)

Next time I speak to her I'll ask what vet she uses. She also told me that she has taken the micro-chipping course and so does it herself, and the micro-chips cost under £10 each, vets charge £30 odd for it ;)

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2007, 18:30:16 PM »
where abouts is this breeder sarah ?

I was just thinking it may be worthwhile for us to take a note and log on purrs all the vets we know of who do neuter early as this crops up from time to time.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2007, 18:07:08 PM »
I love raggies   :Luv: Your breeder sounds spot on, if only all would early neuter then it would be alot harder for the dodgy breeders to start churning pedigrees out.

Offline Littlebobo

• Hero Cat
  • Yumi, Moggchops, Mister and Chalky !!!
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2007, 17:34:43 PM »
ohhhhh you lucky thing i would love a ragdoll such lovely natures ..and gorgeous to boot !!!

Look forward to the pics already xx
Fuss me Fuss me ..Come on I have things to do like Eating and sleeping !

• Super Cat
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2007, 16:24:46 PM »
Thanks for your replies everyone :) I can't wait  :Luv:

Lynn - The breeder spays females at the same time. Oh actually theres a good bit on their site about extra costs and the reasons for keeping the kittens upto 14 weeks.. I'll put it below.

i didnt do it his breeder did purely as he was sexually mature (surprise surprise  :evillaugh:  )

:rofl: :rofl:

The only thing I was worried about early neutering was any complications, I'll read up on it but as Susanne said there desn't seem to be adverse effects, and I suppose vets wouldn't do it if there was..

Helen - Good idea, I'll send a few PM's around, I forgot all about Sashas Luna  :Luv:

This is from their website, you's might find it interesting--->

'You gets what you pays for'.....as the saying goes - read on!

Sometimes, when I say how much a fully-vaccinated, neutered Rubicatz Ragdoll pet kitten costs, the reply is: 'HOW MUCH?????  I've seen them advertised for £350....aged 9 weeks old.' 

And you may have...but how much more will you have to spend before the kitten is 14+ weeks old - the age it would be leaving here?

Let's work it out...........

First of all a 9 week kitten may or may not be vaccinated (first vaccination only at the most).  To complete the necessary vaccinations for the kitten can cost around £55 - one, possible two visits to the vet.  Even with one vaccination, your vet may not use the same vaccine and insist in 'starting over'.

What about neutering?  Absolutely necessary?  Yes!!! if you don't want a rapidly-maturing kitten to begin toileting all round your house (both males and females spray urine - and worse - to advertise their availability).  Females will yowl day and night (mostly night!) to let any passing prospective mate know they're 'available'.  This can start around 16 weeks of age.

Cost of neutering?  Charges vary - my vet charges £55 for males and £75 for females..... (and probably a day off work to take the kitten there/worry about him or her while surgery takes place) and a return visit to have a female kitten's incision checked again.  BTW.....you'll now have made FOUR trips to the vet.

Microchip?  Current price £32 locally.

Food and cat litter for five weeks (9-14);

quality dried food, around £25
quality wet food £15
cat litter, around £15.
So.....how much has your £350 kitten (say female) cost you?

£350+£55+£75+£32+£25+£15+£15..........and that's not counting a day off work to worry about the surgery and petrol for four visits to the vet.

Final Cost of £350 kitten........£567.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2007, 16:14:09 PM »
Raggies are lovely  :Luv:  As others have mentioned, there are a few raggie slaves on here.

I think the breeder is being very responsible neutering the kittens before they go to their new homes.  There have been lots of studies done on early neutering and it has no adverse effects.  There was a recent thread in the behaviour section on which I posted a few links to studies - I'll see if I can find it.  If more vets would do it, it's something most breeders would opt for as it's the only way to guarantee that future owners won't breed from the cat, either accidentally or intentionally.  It's commonplace in the US for breeders to neuter kittens before homing them.

Good luck with your search for a raggie and keep us informed!  ;D

edited to add - here's the thread about neutering age.  In the last post I put a few links re studies into early neutering.

http://www.chaptanservices.com/purrs/index.php?topic=5686.25
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 16:20:36 PM by Susanne (urbantigers) »

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2007, 15:57:18 PM »
  I think Cody was neutered early with no problems, maybe Lynn can tell you a bit more about it.

Just seen - she already has!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2007, 15:55:20 PM »
 :wow: How exciting!  Jealous, jealous, jealous  >:(  I think Cody was neutered early with no problems, maybe Lynn can tell you a bit more about it.  Anyway, just did a search on here for 'Ragdoll' and the roll of honour is:

Kelly-joy - she fosters for a Ragdoll rescue -  http://www.ukrcc.co.uk/

Purrlishious - Has one

Liz - Has one (and 35 moggies!)

Cosmic Creepers - She has just adopted little Luna

Cheekee_Munkee - He has recently adopted two ragdoll babies

ChinaBlue - has SIX ragdolls! 

Maybe you could PM them and ask them to have a look at this thread?

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2007, 15:54:37 PM »
Hiya sarah, i wasnt it a ragdoll kitten sasha (cosmic creepers has just got ? "luna")

Re the neutering, the breeder must be very responsible if he's doing that (out of interest whats their policy on females ? )

I've said before my real preference is to wait a while but there has been a general shift for early neutering and most are saying for the amount being done compared to any problems that may cause its worth while.  14 wks = 3 1/2 mnths.  Cody was done just a couple of weeks after that and he's been fine, i didnt do it his breeder did purely as he was sexually mature (surprise surprise  :evillaugh:  )

It would be up to you really i guess, you wouldnt let him out, probably have no plans to breed a non active registered cat so for me personally i'd say to the breeder i wouldnt mind him retaining the ped certs till i showed proof i'd neutered him at a later date but then again if i really wanted the kitten and he had been done (as in codys case) i probably wouldnt let it put me off.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2007, 15:13:05 PM »
I've been thinking of getting a pedigree cat for a while now and I've settled on a Ragdoll  ;D

I've got in contact with a few breeders as I'm looking for a blue/seal mitted male, so it won't be for another few months at least, but I'm so excied already  :) There's a specific breeder with a mitted male, he was born on 20th July, so will be waiting to see what colours etc.

I'm not sure if there's anyone on here with a ragdoll?? If so any advice or stories?

The breeder with the male at the moment neuters at 14 weeks, what does everyone think of this?

Ooh lucky you! I love ragdolls too. My only experience of them is when they've come to me for grooming and one, in particular is so soft and gentle. A friend of mine breeds ragdolls, but I never dare go over there and see the kittens, it would be fatal!

I've noticed a lot of breeders are neutering before the cat goes to the new home now.

Offline fluffycloud123

• Distinguished Cat
  • monkey and jaspers mummy xx
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2007, 13:55:42 PM »
oooh sarah you lucky lucky girl! :Luv:

i adore raggies, ever since i was 16 i worked on a arab horse yard and the lady owned 6 raggies, so adorable!

keep us informed x

• Super Cat
Ragdoll Cats
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 13:28:27 PM »
I've been thinking of getting a pedigree cat for a while now and I've settled on a Ragdoll  ;D

I've got in contact with a few breeders as I'm looking for a blue/seal mitted male, so it won't be for another few months at least, but I'm so excied already  :) There's a specific breeder with a mitted male, he was born on 20th July, so will be waiting to see what colours etc.

I'm not sure if there's anyone on here with a ragdoll?? If so any advice or stories?

The breeder with the male at the moment neuters at 14 weeks, what does everyone think of this?

Link to CatChat