Author Topic: alternative to cat proof fencing or not???  (Read 5306 times)

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
Re: alternative to cat proof fencing or not???
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2007, 16:43:02 PM »
not a farmer next door, just a  :censored: neighbour.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2007, 16:36:28 PM »
I believe you are right in your jurisdiction Lynn, but suspect it differs here in England. My lawyers actually did a search on fence ownership (which came up with nothing) which suggests the English system differs from the Scottish, New Zealand and Australian system. I do know that a farmer is legally obliged to maintain fencing to prevent stock from straying (something you might like to remind that farmer of). Fortunately for me, my fences are all in reasonable condition, if not high enough to permit cat-proofing. But I would not want to raise them any higher as it would reduce sun in the back garden which the dog appreciates (when it happens).

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2007, 16:29:33 PM »
technically a boundry fence belongs to both of you and you are equally responsible for it i believe.  however my neighbour took down the old boundry fence and then they declined to go halves on new barriers...hence our new fence is very slightly on OUR SIDE so we can do what we like with it. (prospective new house owners will be told that aswell )

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2007, 16:10:40 PM »
It's a bit rubbish that they sell them as a cat repellent if they are useless, grrr.
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2007, 16:03:10 PM »
Have been thinking about this...  To anyone who already has cat proofed fencing how does it work with the fence that isn't yours.  Did you ask your neighbours permission or did you just drill into their fence without asking?!

I think you'd have to put up a second fence inside your boundry, you couldnt just do it as its not your property. Id also not want to put the work into catproofing with permission from neighbour only for them to move and the new people be grumpy gits who would say no just to be awkward!

Prikka strips are useless, the only thing that would work would be the old type that actually hurts them and then that would be illegal.

Offline Marie

• Senior Cat
  • Maisy and Tommy
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2007, 13:30:04 PM »
We have these on one side of our fence put up by neighbour.  Tommy still walks it, you can see it is uncomfortable but he will carefully position where he puts his feet and out of stubbornness will not jump down until he has walked the whole length of the fence!!!
Marie, Maisy and Tommy xxx

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2007, 12:57:25 PM »
I fitted 6 panels of fence with the spikes...erm.. it didn't stop 2 of them who would climb over them. Not even a blink. They have now pulled most of them off...so kind...

Hmm that's a shame as I was wanting to get some of those to stop cats coming into the garden and they were looking like the best thing I'd seen.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2007, 12:50:41 PM »
Have been thinking about this...  To anyone who already has cat proofed fencing how does it work with the fence that isn't yours.  Did you ask your neighbours permission or did you just drill into their fence without asking?!

Offline Purrlishious

• Distinguished Cat
  • Poppy Ruby Dolly
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2007, 23:02:14 PM »
I fitted 6 panels of fence with the spikes...erm.. it didn't stop 2 of them who would climb over them. Not even a blink. They have now pulled most of them off...so kind...

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2007, 22:37:36 PM »
you could always use a couple of the spikes through the cats feet into the ground, i thnk that could stop them escaping some what  ;D

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2007, 18:22:50 PM »
So this got me thinking would this work to keep cats in as well??? Obviously they would have to be able to not jump straight over though. Any thoughts?

Emma

Someone on another forum tried these, in an effort to keep her cat in the garden, but they didnt deter him from climbing out at all!

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2007, 17:46:32 PM »
i dont think that is a form of cat proofing at all, certainly wouldnt keep seb in thats for sure. Look at the posts the fence panels are on..they dont have the stuff on it so they'd just balance on that and leap down into the other side.

I think that stuff is more to prevent birds perching, i could be done with loads of it  :tired:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2007, 16:40:32 PM »
I think shes in norfolk now  :-: i have her current number to hand if Gill hasnt found hers.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2007, 14:58:21 PM »
I do not know if that is Rozs current address cos she moved.....Roz runs Securacat.........some where grrrrrrrrrrrrr I have her current number but she was having internet probs after the move.

I have a different number in my red book but dont know which one is the curent one grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

If anyone needs her number please email or pm me and I will find out the current number.

Offline em1209

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2007, 14:54:46 PM »
Thanks Blackcat  ;D

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007, 14:51:41 PM »
Hi Em, I just did a google and found the following:

securacat@aol.com
Secur-a-cat, 19 Canberra Road, Fairmead Park, Upwood, Cambs, PE26 2PU. Tel: 01487 815909

I understand that they have a brochure they will post out to you.

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2007, 14:47:41 PM »
Boopy's breeder has an electric system (specifically for cats and dogs) on the top of her cat runs to stop her boys escaping. If they tried to jump out they will get a controlled but harmless shock when they make contact with the wire. Obviously it works as the boys have never escaped and it's not hugely obvious either so it doesn't look awfull. Might be something to consider as it won't upset the neighbours I wouldn't have thought as it's not 'in your face' like many other cat proofing methods.

If you go for this option then make sure it is a pet specific electric system as a non pet specific one could/would harm them.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 14:51:34 PM by Team Svartalfheim's »

Offline em1209

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 14:44:13 PM »
Thanks for those links Helen. Secur-a-cat don't seem to have a website though, I'll try and find a number, they must have a catalogue.

once the cat has got up there that is when it will start to hurt them, by then it is too late and there is nothing to stop them from jumping down the wrong way ie out of your garden. 

That's what I thought too

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 14:29:17 PM »
I wouldn't use the prikka strips as a way of cat proofing the garden, once the cat has got up there that is when it will start to hurt them, by then it is too late and there is nothing to stop them from jumping down the wrong way ie out of your garden.  I think they are better suited to encouraging cats to stay in your own garden but they definitely don't cat proof it.

I've been looking into it and there are some different ideas on the fabcat site...  If I don't DIY it then I think I will go down the secur-a-cat route, there are a couple of people on here who have it (Bengal Gail is one, can't remember who else) and they are very happy with it.  It's not as expensive as Purrfect fencing either.

http://www.fabcats.org/owners/infosheets/general_cat_care/fencing/fencing2.html

http://www.fabcats.org/owners/infosheets/general_cat_care/fencing/fencing.html

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 14:20:22 PM »
If you look at the other products on the website they are all designed for people who do not welcome animals. I would hesitate to use it, although it does not appear likely it would cause real harm as the spikes are designed to cause discomfort and are not sharp ..........

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 14:19:10 PM »
I'm not sure if it would keep cats in or not (and I would certianly not trust it as the only means of cat proofing, a roof really is the best catproofing you can get lol) but it looks a good way to help keep other cats out of your garden as hopefully they'd remember what happens when they jump on your fence. I am going to put it on all the fences round the back garden when we move house to try and minimise/eradicate cats coming into our garden.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 14:19:51 PM by Team Svartalfheim's »

Offline em1209

• Distinguished Cat
alternative to cat proof fencing or not???
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 14:15:53 PM »
Following on from Helen's post about keeping the garden secure, I was looking online for cat proof fencing. However this came up ...

http://www.primrose-london.co.uk/fence-wall-spikes-original-prikka-strip-p-365.html?gclid=CPvOg_XfvY0CFQNQEgodJCbdLw

Firstly I was thinking this was quite mean and kitties would get hurt, but I think reading about it, it is meant to not cause harm. So this got me thinking would this work to keep cats in as well??? Obviously they would have to be able to not jump straight over though. Any thoughts?

Emma

Link to CatChat