Author Topic: Advice needed on visiting cats  (Read 1840 times)

Offline fluffycloud123

• Distinguished Cat
  • monkey and jaspers mummy xx
Re: Advice needed on visiting cats
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2007, 23:38:17 PM »
 :stupid: stoopid people, honestly what is the point of owning an animal if you wont look after it properly?

i have the exact same problem with my next door neighbour, she leaves her poor girl out in the rain 24/7  :(and we end up bringing her in and feeding her, and as soon as our back door is open shes the first one there to run in and snuggle on the sofa.... did i mention shes less than a year old :'(

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 23:11:03 PM »
Thank you for your advice so far. I think someone else posted on their visiting cats as this is the first time I have posted. I think it would be a good idea if I take a deep breath and go and see the so called owners again. They also have another cat and parrot. The other cat used to visit but he is a bit wary of Archie, my cat. Last time I spoke to them in September they could not understand why scruffy did not go home very much!

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 23:03:06 PM »
Couldn't you ask the owners that because they are always in your garden, would they mind if you offer them a permanant home?  At least this way, you would have the authority if anything does happen........if not, I would do what you're doing and well done for being so caring towards them  :hug:  :Flowers:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 22:33:24 PM »
I suspect confronting them will not do any good and if its working as it is now, best is to keep the peace.

I cant remember all the story now but did you ask if you could take over ownership?

I know there is a great long thread on this and seem to think you had taken this as far as you could.

For certain if you are really looking after the cats and your neighbour is not taking any part, I tend to lean towards your sons way of thinking.........................just a problem if Scruffy or daughter needed some treatment where they needed to stay at the vets for a time, or in the worst case PTS for health reasons.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 22:22:20 PM »
I contacted the owners who were nice enough but kept scruffy outside with no cat flap. One day we found her in our garden and she appeared sick we got the owners around but they did not seem very bothered.

Pity guns aren't legal really. Sorry feeling a bit low tonight. I don't understand why people get cats if they don't have any feelings for them. Good on you for providing the cats with some shelter. Do the so called owners ever feed them? Not sure it would do any good with scum like this but the animal welfare act that came out in April is supposed to put certain responsibilities on pet owners and providing sufficient shelter (warm and dry) is part of it as is doing their best to keep them healthy.

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
Advice needed on visiting cats
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 22:08:50 PM »
I really could do with some advice on our almost two permanent furry visitors. The first visitor scruffy, a long haired cat turned up almost a year ago. Her coat was matted and greasy and as she was thin we asumed she was a stray, so we started feeding her. She then turned up with a collar one day much to our amazement. I contacted the owners who were nice enough but kept scruffy outside with no cat flap. One day we found her in our garden and she appeared sick we got the owners around but they did not seem very bothered. A few months later her daughter came around as well. We were worried about them during the winter so my husband built them a warm shelter. Now they live most of the time in our garden and even recognise my car when it comes home. Scruffy gets on very well with Archie my cat. They are both looking very healthy now! We are going on holiday soon, my cat is going to a cattery and I am going tp pay someone to feed scruffy and daughter. Am I doing the right thing or should I confront the owners again. Any advice would be gratfully received. My son even thinks I should get pet insurance for scruffy. :tired:

Link to CatChat