Author Topic: New Furry Visitor  (Read 15676 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: New Furry Visitor
« Reply #85 on: July 17, 2007, 15:31:31 PM »
I hope Tabs is feeling better today, we need pics of the handsome lad  :Luv:

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #84 on: July 17, 2007, 13:39:43 PM »
Any new piccies?  :Luv: :Luv:

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #83 on: July 17, 2007, 13:38:28 PM »
How is Tabs today?
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #82 on: July 17, 2007, 09:16:10 AM »
Aw, glad he's OK bless him  :Luv:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Sylvia

• Hero Cat
  • Gizmo, Thomas, Suki, Sweep, Tatty & Tabs
« Reply #81 on: July 16, 2007, 18:19:53 PM »
Thanks for all your support  :thanks:

Tabs is now safely back home, and my OH thought that he was looking at me as if I was a horrible, despicable, untrustworthy Meowmy when I let him out of the carrier.  :(

When we went to give Tabs his food, he didn't show any interest, and just jumped down to the floor, walked over to me, rolled on his side, purred, and insisted that he have a head stroke.  Clare and Max, your healing head rubs have been duly dispensed.  :thanks:

I sat with Tabs for about 20 minutes, and he has eaten his antibiotic mixed into a quarter of a tuna Sheba dome.  He is now happily tucking into a bowl of unadulterated mashed pussy food.  Funnily enough, Jim prepared all the cat food tonight, and it looks like everyone is getting mashed food - he got a bit carried away and forgot that only one needed it mashed into small pieces tonight  :rofl:

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #80 on: July 16, 2007, 18:11:42 PM »
 :cheer: :cheer:

Give that beautiful Tabby belly a wobble for me.  :Luv:

He'll certainly thank you after a couple of days, when things are back to normal. He'll be able to eat his first meal in years without it hurting...  :wow: I'd email him a sardine or two if I could squish them flat enough to fit the CD drive!  :evillaugh:

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #79 on: July 16, 2007, 16:04:24 PM »
Aw, give Tabs a healing head rub from me and Max when he gets home  :Luv:

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #78 on: July 16, 2007, 15:47:22 PM »
Glad he got through everything okay.

If my Penguin can forgive me for shipping him over here and then getting 9 teeth removed then I'm sure Tabs will be fine and forgive you shortly.

He may have to be bribed of course ;)

Offline Sylvia

• Hero Cat
« Reply #77 on: July 16, 2007, 15:36:27 PM »
Have just heard from the vets that the neutering and microchipping went OK, and that they had to take out 4 teeth.  I get to pick him up at 16:30 - can't wait!  :waiting:

Poor Tabs will be sore at both ends.  :(  I wonder if he'll ever forgive me.  :Crazy:

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #76 on: July 16, 2007, 13:37:57 PM »
Hope it's all gone smoothly?
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #75 on: July 16, 2007, 10:43:05 AM »
He will be absolutely fine - got everything crossed for him though just to be on the safe side  :)

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #74 on: July 16, 2007, 10:42:57 AM »
I'm sure everthing will be just fine xx

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #73 on: July 16, 2007, 10:42:02 AM »
 :hug: and fingers crossed.

Offline Sylvia

• Hero Cat
« Reply #72 on: July 16, 2007, 10:30:01 AM »
Tabs has now been delivered to the vet for his castration, dental work and microchipping (I thought I would slip it in while he was under the general anaesthetic so he wouldn't notice it being done anyway, but don't tell OH  :sneaky:).

I know that it is a fairly routine procedure, but I am now going to be a bag of nerves until the vet rings at approximately lunchtime (couldn't pin them down more precisely that that).   :scared:

Please keep everything crossed that it all goes OK for Tabs today.  :)

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #71 on: July 09, 2007, 23:22:08 PM »
 :cheer: :cheer:

I'm that chuffed, Sylvia. And Tabs will thank you too - after he's got used to having the 'weight off his mind'.  :rofl: :rofl:

It's all down hill from here.

Jxxx

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #70 on: July 09, 2007, 22:36:54 PM »
Thats great and very wise to not tempt fate  ;D

Offline Sylvia

• Hero Cat
« Reply #69 on: July 09, 2007, 22:34:38 PM »
Have now got Tabs booked in for neutering, dental and microchipping on Monday next week.  :Crazy:  I was offered Friday the 13th at first, and even though I'm not superstitious  :shify:, I thought I wouldn't tempt fate.  ;D

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #68 on: July 07, 2007, 23:21:07 PM »
Thanks MM, was hoping someone would say I was wrong and you are right those things would be covered by the insurance  ;D

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #67 on: July 07, 2007, 18:43:14 PM »
I think that insurance companies make money because you give them more than they pay out.

Not round here they dont  :rofl: i had about about £600 back for 2 policies worth £80 a year each, i had only paid 6 installments for George too.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #66 on: July 07, 2007, 18:20:53 PM »
Just caught up with the news about this gorgeous cat. I'm not very informed about fiv, though know heaps about flv. Even flv isn't a significant threat. I used to have a pair of positive cats, and the only thing I regret was knowing! They were allowed out, but they were sexually inactive females.

I'm guessing that fiv is a bit like hiv. Would you keep a child with hiv in isolation? Of course not. If the virus is passed by direct body fluid contact, the risks of transmission must be very small.

I'm glad you've decided to keep Tabs, he's gorgeous. Your oh must be a big pussycat too! (Don't tell him, or he might change his mind!)

You've got lots of lovely times ahead with this gorgeous cat.

If the insurance is a problem, do something like my method: open a savings account which pays some interest and regularly deposit money in it (about the same you'd hand over to an insurance company). Might be wise to start with a largish sum first, then build it up. This would be your vet slush fund incase anything should ever happen to your furballs. Meantime it should build up with the interest. Depending on how much you start with, you'd get different amounts of interest according to the account type. The ones you put only a couple of thousand in pay the least.
This is useful if you have difficult to insure cats. And it's always there. I think that insurance companies make money because you give them more than they pay out. So why not create your own insurance?

Love to Tabs.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #65 on: July 07, 2007, 17:01:26 PM »
Thats great Sylvia, i dont believe that fiv is the threat its made out to be, especially in neutered cats. Most studies have a result of no spread  ;D
Does that mean Tabs will be allowed to continue with outdoor activities once neutered and dentalled?

Gill, i would still insure because if he were to be in a RTA, get diabetes or a heart condition he would be covered. Things like eye infections or sneezing they would say its related to his fiv but they are more affordable to an average wallet.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #64 on: July 07, 2007, 16:23:30 PM »
 :hug: to you for taking Tabs on and persuading OH.  Keep us posted on his settling in, op etc!

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #63 on: July 07, 2007, 14:42:46 PM »
Sylvia, I am gutted for your about Tabs results. It would have wrecked me.  :'(

Every once in a while there's a need for a hero to step forward, and you've done it with Tabs. He's an exceptionally beautiful cat and he's had it so rough. Some places would have taken the easy route.

The difference you'll see in him when he's cleared his system of these hormones will stun you. I'm sure it's the only reason why he's trying to get out.

Keep us posted. I am still head over heals with him and I'd steal him from you like a shot...

:Luv: :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #62 on: July 06, 2007, 23:33:34 PM »
That's fab news !!! Good on you convincing him and that statistic MM is brilliant.  I certainly never knew that it was that low.  :Luv:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #61 on: July 06, 2007, 23:32:10 PM »
I thinks that Tabs is a special man and hope everything goes well for him  ;D

Offline Sylvia

• Hero Cat
« Reply #60 on: July 06, 2007, 23:22:06 PM »
 :thanks: Ruth, Millys Mum and Gill for your replies.

My OH and I were arguing discussing this all evening, and he has finally agreed that we can arrange for Tabs' neutering and dental treatment.  :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy:  I think he just got so fed up of all my tears!  He says I can arrange to get this done on Monday.  My OH is a lot happier with this decision when I told him about Millys Mum's reply especially, so many many thanks yet again.  :)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #59 on: July 06, 2007, 21:46:23 PM »
I would agree with Millymum and had he not been bloodtested you would not have known.

The only problem I see is vet bills as presumably there is no point insuring him cos of this result.........................please someone tell me I am wrong  :scared: :scared:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #58 on: July 06, 2007, 19:18:24 PM »
Sorry to hear Tabs results, you must have a pocket of toms in your area who know where a good place is!  You could get a voucher for his neutering, if he calms down why not just let him continue his life as it is. He'll stop fighting and will be unlikely to pass anything on.
I read this last night http://www.catactiontrust.org.uk/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=20&MMN_position=38:38

RE-HOMING FIV - POSITIVE CATS
The most recent research (Addie et al) indicates that the chances of FIV being passed from one cat to another in the same household is approx 1-2%. This means that if you have 100 cats (!) in a house with 1 FIV positive cat, only 1 or 2 could be expected to become infected. In another survey (Shelton et al,1989) FIV was not passed from cat to cat in the same household at all. This corresponds with my own observations (see below) Even when FIV was passed on, as in the Glasgow survey , none of the cats actually died of it. There seems no reason, therefore, not to have FIV positive and negative cats in the same household. If two cats in one household fight, they should be kept apart, given behavioural therapy or one re-homed , regardless of their FIV status.

At this point I would like to mention my own FIV positive cat - 'Charlie-boy.' He came to me fourteen years ago, suffering from 'flu and diarrhoea, from a household of eighteen cats living a semi-feral existence as their elderly owner was unable to cope . Several cats who were blood-tested were FIV positive. Charlie ( and all the others) responded well to treatment and over a few months Charlie turned into a very handsome fellow . Despite a very gentle nature he was unused to being handled - in fact it was eighteen months before he volunteered to be stroked. However, he is very sociable to other cats and lived in close contact with nine others - one of whom was a kitten from the same colony. After ten years all the survivors are still negative to FIV tests, though sadly four have died from other causes. Charlie is still in excellent health - his only problems have been dental. Sadly two other FIV positive cats and one negative cat from this colony - while remaining in excellent health - have been killed in road accidents (a far higher risk for cats than FIV)

http://www.celiahammond.org/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=14&MMN_position=21:21

At CHAT, we have to take a realistic overview of the FIV situation. FIV is widespread in the U.K. and is endemic in large cities with high densities of unneutered male cats. In urban areas or areas with a high rate of infection, it seems pointless to confine an FIV positive cat indoors when a large percentage of cats outdoors already carry the virus. Many owned pet cats are FIV positive and their owners are unaware of this. Cats which are tested and have a negative result could be at risk as soon as their owners let them outside again. Since most FIV positive cats are used to going outdoors, we consider it is detrimental to their quality of life to prevent them from going outdoors if they want to, provided that it is in an area where the virus is already present in significant numbers of cats.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #57 on: July 06, 2007, 18:37:51 PM »
Oh dear.

Sylvia no one can tell you what to do only you and your OH really know.  The positive is that apart from the FIV he's healthy and that means that he can be rehomed, if you choose that route in an indoor only home, maybe as an only cat.

He is a little unsettled and I am sure that contributes to his temperament right now.

:hug: to you hun. There is no right answer here, you clearly want what is best for all of you.

Offline Sylvia

• Hero Cat
« Reply #56 on: July 06, 2007, 18:34:59 PM »
The good news is that Tabs paw has healed nicely, his temperature is now normal, his eye infection has cleared up and he no longer needs the eye ointment.

His blood test results were back, and he has tested negative for FeLV.

The bad news is that he has tested positive for FIV  :'(

I can't believe that this has happened to us a second time in 8 months  :(

This has now created an enormous problem for us.  Tabs is not happy being confined in our spare room.  When I was with him last night, he was desperate to get out, and didn't seem to be particularly happy for me to be with him.  We still need to get him neutered, and to get his teeth fixed.  When the vet was pointing out all the things that were wrong with his teeth and gums, Tabs showed us that one in particular was causing him discomfort.

Have been arguing with OH ever since he got back from work about what we need to do next  :(

I think we need to get Tabs neutered and his teeth fixed ASAP.  OH thinks it would be cruel to keep him in our spare room for that long, and that we can't afford to get all that done, since I lost my job.  He is now back to saying that we should get Tabs rehomed, because he would never get on with Tatty.

I can't stop crying  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline Bobjay

• Adult Cat
« Reply #55 on: July 06, 2007, 13:19:29 PM »
Do hope the visit to the vets goes OK and this dear puss can settle down in his new home with you.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2007, 10:19:31 AM »
I suspect he like most other cats is not impressed with vets and meds and stuff and once that is all out of the way, he will be back to being one home loving and slave loving Tabs  ;D

I'm with Gill on this one.  I'm sure he'll soon settle down.

Offline lilycat

• Senior Cat
  • Lilycat
« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2007, 09:58:22 AM »
He's perhaps just settling in Sylvia...he's been used to having to fend for himself so it'll [maybe] take a bit of getting used to...having human slaves, I'm sure he'll soon get used to it though  :rofl:

Offline rosiesmum

• Senior Cat
« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2007, 06:38:49 AM »
Hope all goes well at the vets today, figers crossed! x

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2007, 04:52:40 AM »
What a beauty! Doesn't look too impressed by your choice of literature. Give him a Playtom!

Good luck for the vet, hope all goes well.  :luck:
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2007, 22:53:48 PM »
He's gorgeous Sylvia.

Fingers crossed and  :hug: all round for tomorrow.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2007, 22:15:19 PM »
I suspect he like most other cats is not impressed with vets and meds and stuff and once that is all out of the way, he will be back to being one home loving and slave loving Tabs  ;D

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2007, 20:31:30 PM »
 :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Perhaps he doesn't like what you're reading to him, Sylvia? Perhaps you were reading Dickens, but Tabs perfers The Sun?  :rofl: :rofl:

Thank you for the new piccy - I was wearing out the others.  :evillaugh:

Oh... I just wanna bury my face in that beautiful tabby belly and blow raspberries all day....  :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:

Offline Sylvia

• Hero Cat
« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2007, 19:04:07 PM »
Tabs is doing OK, although I now get the feeling that when we go in to see him, he is looking at us like he doesn't trust us.  :scared:

I have been sitting on the floor, and reading to him for a short while each day, but I think that yesterday he just wanted me to go away because I was disturbing his sleep.  :-:

He will be going back to see the vet for a check up tomorrow morning, and I am hoping that his blood test results will be back by then.  Please keep fingers/paws/anything else you can think of crossed that the news will be good for us.  :thanks:

Just in case anyone is interested  ;D, this is how Tabs is looking today.

Tabs' Latest Pic

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2007, 16:22:45 PM »
We do we do  ;D

Link to CatChat