Author Topic: ANOTHER BAD DAY  (Read 7258 times)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Re: ANOTHER BAD DAY
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2006, 10:24:46 AM »
Someone has just rung for a kitten, and as I spoke to her she dug a bigger and bigger hole.

Where she lives is very bad as there is someone who shoots cats for a start and in fact we would only home an indoor cat/kitten.
We have taken loads of kittens from that area.
When she moved in she had 2 cats and  kept them in 3 weeks one kept going back so she let the old neighbours keep it. In these cases we often find that as soon as something happens to the cat and it needs vet treatment it is not their cat at all).When I suggested that sometimes 3 weeks is not enough she said oh! with all the children and the dog I cannot keep the door closed. So I asked how could she keep a kitten in for at least another 4 months.
She then advised me that the other cat had gone missing and was found injured and had to have a leg amputated.
When I again said sorry we will not home a cat to go out in your area (although by now I had no intentions to home even a dying flea) all she could keep saying was but my daughter will be very disappointed.
Sorry but I need to put a cat/kittens welfare first.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline IainMcT

• Adult Cat
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2006, 20:00:33 PM »
... there are tens of thousands of kittens/advertised in local  papers etc whos owners could not care less where they go as long as the go.

That's exactly the kind of thing I mean :-) If only there were the budget to track them all down and make them spay/neuter their pets...

Better still spey/neuter them and stop them contributing further scum to the gene pool.

Offline Em

• Distinguished Cat
  • Mollie dog, Charley, Sammy and Seth
    • my blog
« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2006, 16:56:08 PM »
... there are tens of thousands of kittens/advertised in local  papers etc whos owners could not care less where they go as long as the go.

That's exactly the kind of thing I mean :-) If only there were the budget to track them all down and make them spay/neuter their pets...
Ah, summer - the season for a daily mouse...

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2006, 16:47:22 PM »
I kind of think there should be some kind of vetting process before you can have an animal

Rescues do vet, but of course there are tens of thousands of kittens/advertised in local  papers etc whos owners could not care less where they go as long as the go.

Offline Em

• Distinguished Cat
    • my blog
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2006, 16:33:34 PM »
Don't apologise!! It's good to get stuff off your chest and move on, otherwise it just piles up - and hey! If you can't rant at us, who can you rant at? ;)

I kind of think there should be some kind of vetting process before you can have an animal, but that would be sooo dangerous in the hands of people with no common sense.... like for like punishments would be good though... e.g. chain people up out in the cold... remove all their nails and voice box... lock them in the shed for a week...  :Crazy:

Oops, sorry, getting down off soapbox now... :innocent:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2006, 16:27:17 PM »
Anyway...Ela you sound like you are having a very trying few days!! I cant believe some people

I wish it was only the last few days it is always but now I have someone to moan at, sorry.

Offline Emma S

• Adult Cat
  • Meg and Darcey
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2006, 16:01:59 PM »
I wouldn't put my mum in a home no matter what problems she had. Never ever.

Anyway...Ela you sound like you are having a very trying few days!! I cant believe some people, it makes me so angry. Especially when they wont listen to any advice you give them but are just intent on giving their cat up.

I hope your little RTA boy is doing ok.
Love Emma & the girls - Meg and Darcey xxx

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2006, 14:52:56 PM »
Fergie could have done with a Tenalady

[attachment deleted by admin]
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Em

• Distinguished Cat
    • my blog
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2006, 14:47:21 PM »
Was mostly joking about my mum ... my OH's sister in law's mum has problems but leads a full and happy life thanks to Tena pads, I think it's actually more widespread than people think.

Was thinking of trying puppy pads in the kitchen for the catses... would have to tape them to the vertical surfaces that get sprayed up though ... :-:

Offline Beccles

• Distinguished Cat
  • Daphne and Elettra born 18.06.06, Figaro 23.08.07
    • My weblog: Comprehension Dawns
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2006, 12:54:16 PM »
Strewth - Em this is NOT an attack on you directly but why do people so often think incontinence in humans is such a horrifying prospect?

You've got yer liners and pads (like sanitary towels only more effective) and access to a decent shower, hopefully some access to employed support if needed so you're not at the mercy of family members, even the best of whom can get tired and frustrated... catheters and whathaveyou if it's a constant major problem, and the very biggest pads are like all-in-1 disposable type things (don't say the N word) so it's not like there's a hygiene problem if it's all managed properly.

Olliecat isn't always that great with using the litter tray  :Luv: especially at night when he's a bit sleepy and dozy and wakes up needing a wee - so he has a few puppy pads down on the floor near his nest and he spends the night in the kitchen so he can't get 'lost' looking for his tray - which also has the advantage of vinyl floors so easy clean-up if he does do a whoopsie.

For cats and dogs that are profoundly incontinent there are nappy-type things sold by some shops... I am sure many pets wouldn't tolerate that but hey if they don't mind, that's a pretty passable solution to my way of thinking.
Spaying and neutering saves lives.
Nobody has a right to own a cat. It's a privilege.

Offline Em

• Distinguished Cat
    • my blog
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2006, 12:29:33 PM »
I would defintely put my mum in a home if she became incontinent. However, potentially all of my cats pee in the house - Seth & Sammy partly because of a past trauma, Charley because her last owners never house-trained her (although she is now housetrained she uses it to make her displeasure known e.g. about the weather, the new dog etc etc), and all of them because the last owner of the house had a cat that peed EVERYWHERE and we still haven't quite managed to get rid of all the carpets/flooring and we'd have to completely replace the kitchen.

Result - every morning I patiently clean up whatever mess I find (nowadays it's just in the kitchen), without shouting at the cats. In the Winter we bring the litter try into the kitchen so they don't have to go out. And we've shut them downstairs until they settle down - although they're allowed upstairs under supervision, just not while we're out). Certainly wouldn't have them PTS because of it, and definitely wouldn't put them up for rehoming, they're my babes.

Grrrr... hope your day gets better Elaine...

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2006, 12:17:41 PM »
You have to wonder if these people would put their grandparents/parents in a home if they became incontinent.
 :innocent:

I'm allergic to mine, but its the price you have to pay for kitty-love!  :)
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2006, 12:08:07 PM »
Bad day no 2

Since 8 o'clock this morning the phone has not stopped ringing, so many cats cannot be kept, 1) peeing, no litter try in house of course, 2) 2 kittens owner allergic, 3) 3 cats marriage break up I could go on a lot more but I am going for a coffee.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2006, 21:46:33 PM »
As the owner wouldn't you try everything you could before even considering getting rid of your cat?

So many of the owners love their cats so much they will not even take the little ones to the vet to ensure there are no underlying problems.

Offline Jennbear

• Adult Cat
  • If cats could talk - they would lie to you :)
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2006, 21:37:18 PM »
Why would you get rid of your cat because it peed somewhere it shouldn't? aren't animals entitled to accidents just like people??? As the owner wouldn't you try everything you could before even considering getting rid of your cat?

If you gotta go you gotta go!?  :-:

Sometimes Tabitha gets so excited a little bit of poop occurs....but we still love her
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 21:39:36 PM by Jennbear »

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2006, 21:31:45 PM »
Actually, you've got it spot on there, Ela. They did have about four cats and a lot less trays from what I remember. They were what I'd term collectors of kittens...unless of course, the kitten didn't behave how they wanted it to, then it was palmed off on someone else.

Aggghhhh, makes me angry just thinking about it. Wish I'd been a bit more aware of local rescues when I was younger. If I knew of something like that happening now, I'd encourage people to put their cat on a waiting list and cope until space came up. Maybe the little one that didn't make it would be growing old (dis)gracefully. :(

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2006, 21:00:39 PM »
One of my mob was given to me by a couple who basically couldn't be bothered to teach him to use the litter tray, so he peed around the house

It makes me so mad when someone phones to say their cat is peeeeing and when you ask about a littler tray most haven't got one. Or they have 3 or 4 cats and one tray. Then start to argue with you when you advise more trays.

Offline IainMcT

• Adult Cat
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2006, 20:38:00 PM »
People like that should have stuffed toys, not pets  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( :P

I'd go further and say that people like that should be stuffed :) :)

Leigh

I'd like to give Salma Hayek a good stuffing.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2006, 20:05:34 PM »
One of my mob was given to me by a couple who basically couldn't be bothered to teach him to use the litter tray, so he peed around the house. His littermate messed around the house, but unfortunately I could only take one of them on and so took the little one that the person I shared my home with liked the most.(Softening the blow of adding to the pets!)He did wee on my bed a few times, I'll admit, but after he'd settled in it stopped.

His littermate wasn't so lucky, it was put in the outhouse for messing and they left the poor thing there overnight. It was recovering from cat flu and the temperature drop was too much for it. I still bitterly regret not taking both of the cats with me, and I think I always will.

I can't believe how idiotic people can be. I've had my big guy quite a while now, and wouldn't be without him...those people missed out on two amazing cats because they were lazy,selfish and unprepared to learn enough about cats to help teach a couple of kittens the basics.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Yvie

• Adult Cat
  • Pepper
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2006, 19:39:47 PM »
Speechless. Gobsmacked....... :censored: :censored: :censored:
A cat is more intelligent than people believe, and can be taught any crime.
Mark Twain.

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
  • Alfie, Frankie & Leigh, my boys & me
    • http://www.alfie-cat.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2006, 19:31:25 PM »
I'd go further than that Leigh. They should be hung, drawn and quartered.

PS - I'm not joking >:(

Stop pussy footing around (pun intended) and say what you really think  :cook:  :evillaugh:

Leigh
Alfie and Frankie's dad - "Letterbox" are Rockin' the Feline World

Offline Nick (Peanut & Boo)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2006, 19:26:18 PM »
well done Ela thats another very fortunate cat .Hope his legs can be saved poor mite.

I just don't know where you can keep finding the money , I wish I won the lottery I would give it all to people like you.  :Luv:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2006, 18:55:36 PM »
The owners may be known to the finder but they are denying it is their cat as the cost involved, so we will find him/her a home who deserves him/her. It is not chipped (all rescues here chip) so obviously homed as the result of someones so called good home.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2006, 18:53:10 PM »
The RTA may have both back legs broken, however no matter what he is comfortable and tomorrow will be operated on.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2006, 18:47:22 PM »
Oh dear - some people really do take the biscuit, dont they??? Fingers crossed for them all.
Please spay your cat

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2006, 18:36:21 PM »
Some people are beyond belief  :censored:

When Charlie had his "wee" problems he peed all over our bed and we ended up sleeping with a Tog 4 quilt for 2 nights while the quilt dried - absolutley freezing but to me its all part of being slaves to cats .  FFS if these peoples babies peed somewhere innapropriate (sp) would they rehome them ??
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Andrew

• Adult Cat
  • Ginger
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2006, 18:32:57 PM »

I just realise you not only need to love animals, have the knowledge, people skills etc but also you need to be patient to work in an animal rescue!

Ela, you're great! I think I'd knock myself on the wall if I have to deal with them...

thanks for sharing this. I never knew what it was like.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2006, 18:10:59 PM »
I know you're not in a position to ask them but I'd ask them if they were my friends -- would you put your babies to sleep if they wee in your bed?

Wouldn't it be nice to say what you really think, unfortunately If I did the cats would suffer. I get so cross when people phone for advice, you give it to them and everything you say they put an obstacle in the way. I want to scream sometimes why the hell are you ringing me when you argue with everything I say.But of course I can't

Offline Andrew

• Adult Cat
  • Ginger
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2006, 18:02:00 PM »

It's sick and pathetic... Charlie sometimes have difficulties and the carpet have stains. All I need to do is just to spray a bit of vanish and then use biological washing powder to get rid of the smell. Yes, the lounge carpet is very expensive but cats are just like family members.. It is only carpets and it can always be replaced. You cannot replace one cat with another..

Plus, it is not Charlie's fault.... It is saddening to see him with this difficulty.

I know you're not in a position to ask them but I'd ask them if they were my friends -- would you put your babies to sleep if they wee in your bed?

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2006, 17:45:44 PM »
I'd go further and say that people like that should be stuffed smile smile

Leigh

I'd go further than that Leigh. They should be hung, drawn and quartered.

PS - I'm not joking >:(

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2006, 17:30:20 PM »
As I've said before, I don't know how you keep your composure.

You have to for the cats sake, but you can take great delight in thinking terrible thoughts.

Offline carl (billy and baggys dad)

• Distinguished Cat
  • King Bilbo & Mr Baggins' dad and loyal servant
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2006, 16:47:12 PM »
These people are beneath contempt - do they have no consciences?

As I've said before, I don't know how you keep your composure.
From out of nowhere you came strong as stone
And now I'll never have to be alone
What it is I know
You have always been my safe home

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
  • Slave to: Bramble and Lily
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2006, 16:46:28 PM »
They're both 1 year old - I wonder if they got them for Xmas.

Offline catzluva71

• Adult Cat
  • Bo
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2006, 16:42:41 PM »
Aww how rotten is that, getting rid of the cat(s) because they pee on the bed/in the house  :thumbd:
don't these people have any patience or understanding?

Those cats will be better off in a new home with someone who loves them imo
 :ahh: :catluv:
Home is where your cat is :)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2006, 16:39:53 PM »
These peeps make me sick, they should never have got a cat in the first place.  >:(

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2006, 16:36:18 PM »
Ignorance...

My mum's cat is an elderly lady and often has accidents...or sometimes she just wants to make a point. She peed on her own bedding more than once and mum patiently washed it, sterilised what she needed to and that was that. The house never smells like cat pee, which I think we all know has a wonderful eau of its own!!  That's mostly due to my mum having the most patient temperament and working with her furbabe to getting the location of her toilet right.

Bless you Ela.  You are far too kind to these people. I can't believe the amount of stories I've read on here when some  :censored: pulls the PTS card....!

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2006, 16:24:38 PM »
Cant believe it Companion Care vets have now transferred the little one to my vets but have not passed over the ex-rays, how bad is that. Our vet has mad him comfortable for now and will operate in the morning.

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
  • Alfie, Frankie & Leigh, my boys & me
    • http://www.alfie-cat.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2006, 16:08:33 PM »
People like that should have stuffed toys, not pets  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( :P

I'd go further and say that people like that should be stuffed :) :)

Leigh
Alfie and Frankie's dad - "Letterbox" are Rockin' the Feline World

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2006, 15:45:28 PM »
The RSPCA wilL only pay the first £50 max. So I would rather pay the lot and have the kitten also our vet is the best in our Town.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2006, 15:31:53 PM »
What, the RSPCA want YOU to pay - how many million do they have in reserve? -

Link to CatChat