Author Topic: How to convince my friend to do the right thing with her kitten..  (Read 2405 times)

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
Re: How to convince my friend to do the right thing with her kitten..
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2007, 13:12:05 PM »
I'm afraid if she was my friend, I would not be able to keep my gob shut.......I would have to tell her in no uncertain terms.
Me either - I dont think I could listen to them try and convince themselves that it is okay to just leave it. Ignorance makes me soooooooooooooooo  >:( >:( >:(
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline littleKitten_(alex)

• Senior Cat
  • Poppy the Lion
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2007, 12:26:19 PM »
the lump was in fact a solid ball of worms.

:sick: :sick: :sick:

I was about to have lunch. I won't now.
 :rofl:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2007, 08:07:47 AM »
I would be pleased to send a vouvhers (full cost if necessary) to ensure this little one is spayed. Perhaps you could also print out the advice we give out the advice we give as to many reasons why kittens need to be neutered/spayed at the earliest age possible (see why neuter/spay on www.chesterfieldcats.co.uk).

Also perhaps at some point you could say mention that you have read on here that kittens/cats can die if they do not have flea/worm treatments. That is true,  we have over the years know some kittens die (not actually in care) and also very recently a cat was operated on as a vet could feel a hard lump, when the vet went in the lump was in fact a solid ball of worms.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Annie

• Adult Cat
    • Catster
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2007, 14:02:17 PM »
I really can't understand why people get kittens and then show a total lack of brain by allowing them outside unspayed, and at 4 months.  I'm afraid if she was my friend, I would not be able to keep my gob shut.......I would have to tell her in no uncertain terms.
It took me all my strength not to tell her she was downright stupid... I thought she would have had more brains than to do that but obviously not...

Do you think the finances side of things could be an issue for your friend?  The cats protection will give vouchers to cover the cost of spaying if your friend can't afford it, if you have any problems getting one then Ela on here (Chesterfield Cats protection) has been known to send vouchers to people outside of her area, she's on holiday at the moment but is due back in the next few days so you could PM her if you needed to.  Then perhaps you could offer to take her in at the same time as you take Cindy in, don't know how feasible that is as not sure how old Cindy is.  If not you could say that you have to go to the vets for some flea/worm stuff and could take her little one in for her.

Anyway, good on you for caring - hope you can get something sorted out for the poor baby. 

P.S Just wanted to point out I'm not an insomniac, I'm on nights this week  :evillaugh:
I think financial side could be an issue althought she didn't state it as an excuse yesterday but is always complaining of lack of money.. But if she does then I'll go minimad on her (lol).. She knew her money situation before she got the kitten, and it hasn't got any worse, so if she uses that excuse when I speak to her later then I'll go on a rant that she shouldn't have got her in the first place and if she can't afford to take care of her, and she will no way be able to afford a litter of kittens or the treatment her cat may need... Thanks for the advice about vouchers :).. Cindy is only just 12 weeks old so shes a month or so behind Tinks (friend's kitten)...

Thanks everyone for your advice, I think I'm just going have to drum all of it into her... I think she may feel I'm trying to be all high and mighty, but I'm not, I just want the kitten to have the best chance at life...

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2007, 12:16:56 PM »
If she genuinely loves her kitten then shocking her with health/finance will do it, if not then it makes it ten times harder.
http://www.chaptanservices.com/purrs/index.php?topic=2427.msg38502#msg38502
I think the above post is a good way of showing how much work it can take to get a young cat through pregnancy.

Tell her tom cats will be fighting :duel: and spraying  :Nooooo: all over her house and garden in their efforts to woo her kitty, shes bound to be house proud!   :heeee heeee:

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2007, 10:26:16 AM »
Ooh! Not easy...  :shify:

Why not mention pet insurance as a way of staving off potential financial disaster? I just spent £300 on scans and tests. I wished to goodness I had insurance....   :sick: I will the next time!  :wow: One of the prerequisits of being accepted is that vacs are up to date.

Good luck, and fingers crossed kitten gets properly set up for life.. but tad better than telling your best friend your sleeping with their dad.  :shy:  :rofl:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2007, 10:05:09 AM »
Good luck persuading your friend to get her kitten vaccinated and neutered before she's allowed outdoors.  I'd go with eithe the financial angle (the cost of raising a litter of kittens, esp if something goes wrong and she needs vet care) plus mentioning the neutering vouchers, or the health angle - risks of being bitten by a tom with FIV or FeLV, having kittens too young, mammary cancer, pyometria etc.  I do hope you can make her see sense.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2007, 04:15:13 AM »
Do you think the finances side of things could be an issue for your friend?  The cats protection will give vouchers to cover the cost of spaying if your friend can't afford it, if you have any problems getting one then Ela on here (Chesterfield Cats protection) has been known to send vouchers to people outside of her area, she's on holiday at the moment but is due back in the next few days so you could PM her if you needed to.  Then perhaps you could offer to take her in at the same time as you take Cindy in, don't know how feasible that is as not sure how old Cindy is.  If not you could say that you have to go to the vets for some flea/worm stuff and could take her little one in for her.

Anyway, good on you for caring - hope you can get something sorted out for the poor baby. 

P.S Just wanted to point out I'm not an insomniac, I'm on nights this week  :evillaugh:

MBll

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2007, 02:15:52 AM »
Im goini add a couple more things here ....tell her if she allows her kitten out un neutered knowing that she will be caught & have a litter thoughher actions ...she will be labbedas a backstreet breeder.   Ask her if shes capable & willing to put in the time if mum dies or rejects the litter & she has to hand feed them & watch them die 1 after another

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2007, 02:03:23 AM »
I would also point out how many hundreds of cats have to be pts on a daily basis because of irresponsible owners like her  >:(  I really can't understand why people get kittens and then show a total lack of brain by allowing them outside unspayed, and at 4 months.  I'm afraid if she was my friend, I would not be able to keep my gob shut.......I would have to tell her in no uncertain terms.

MBll

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2007, 01:55:05 AM »
Tell her at 4 months old  the kitten is to young to have kittens herself & would probably die having them also so if the local tom gets ahold of her she will have felv/fiv & any kittens.   Also that her lack of care of the welfare of the kitten is not responsible

Offline Annie

• Adult Cat
    • Catster
How to convince my friend to do the right thing with her kitten..
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007, 00:30:27 AM »
My friend has a 4 month old female kitten. Earlier I was talking to her about kitten stuff as you do, as I have kitten love on my mind 24/7 especially since getting my baby Cindy.

Anyway as I was saying we were talking and she happened to mention how her kitty loves to play outside. Now this kitten is obviously not neutured. Even worse she let on that she has also not had any of her jabs yet!.. I doubt she's even been flead. All she could confirm is that she's been wormed.

I tried to hint that she's not doing the right thing by saying that Cindy will not be going out until she has been neutered and had her stitches out etc.. But she just doesn't seem bothered. She just said "None of my mums cats got their jabs or anything and they were all fine".. The I did the better safe than sorry talk.. Not working..

I'm just worried about the poor kitty, she could get very sick, and even worse sick with kittens. I know my friend would not be able to take care of kittens, heck she doesn't seem to be able to take care of one kitty, I just need some advice on how I can coax her into taking the kitty to the vet and getting the works..

Link to CatChat