Author Topic: hyperesthesia  (Read 556 times)

Offline dawnf

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: star, willow
Re: hyperesthesia
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2024, 12:48:38 PM »
I took one of mine to the vet years ago to discuss this, he said most cases of the rippling back were just fleas

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2024, 10:35:37 AM »
Hi,   So sorry I had never heard of the condition until today so am unable to offer any advice.  I would be interested to hear how you got on at the vet though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feline_hyperesthesia_syndrome
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline cathycat

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Alfie
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2024, 11:04:59 AM »
I've just spotted a post entitled "location based affection" so he isn't the only one with that but with Albie there is also the "rippling back" thing!
Bridge cats Ellie,Harvey,Eddie,Charlie,
Miss you all so much. xx

Offline cathycat

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Alfie
hyperesthesia
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2024, 10:59:58 AM »
Hi everyone. I have a question concerning possible hyperesthesia in my cat.
Iadopted him from a small charity last August. He had had a non specific uri before I adopted him which he had antibiotics for to prevent any secondary infection. He's vaccinated and has been castrated. He's very playful,eats toilets normally and is generally a happy boy.
I have noticed he has the classic "rippling back"if touched or he hears a loud noise. He is also quite "light sensitive"and squints when I turn a light on. The only time he will let me touch him is if I am wearing certain clothes and in my bedroom lying flat on my back on my bed :shocked:. He will then jump on my chest and enjoy a good head scratch as long as I don't touch his back. He will frequently approach me wanting attention but I can only talk to him-not touch him.
Has anyone had a similar situation? I'm puzzled especially as there are specific conditions where I may touch him!!
Vet on Monday but I wanted to see if anyone could shed any light from personal experience? THANK YOU!!
Bridge cats Ellie,Harvey,Eddie,Charlie,
Miss you all so much. xx

Link to CatChat