Author Topic: CKD hyperthyroidism and vomiting  (Read 1828 times)

Offline Kate S

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Miaowser (RIP baby boy) & Rocky (RIP fella- too short a time with us. The new boss Joey
Re: CKD hyperthyroidism and vomiting
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2022, 18:40:03 PM »
Susan is ok today after her situation at the vets yesterday. She has been eating dry food only and taking her hyperthyroidism tablets. The vet gave me some an anti nausea tablet but I've not used it. I have moved appointment for blood test for a few days ahead as I want her to be absorbing her hyperthyroidism tablets properly again before her blood test. I have also got some 'Dreamie' type biscuits but are for cats with kidney disease, and she likes them ;D

Offline Frances

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Christopher, Eleanor and George; RIP James
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2022, 14:39:39 PM »
How is Susan doing?

Offline Kate S

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Miaowser (RIP baby boy) & Rocky (RIP fella- too short a time with us. The new boss Joey
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2022, 14:40:02 PM »
Update on Susan. Have been to the 24 hour vet and was given some subcutaneous fluids and anti vomiting drug. She is not eating much just a few treats and a mouthful of Sheba as she likes that when she refuses her CKD food, so I hope her appetite will improve later. I have her booked in for a blood test in the week, so hope this will show what/ if needs to be done

Offline Kate S

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2022, 22:32:05 PM »
Thank you so much  she is ok in her behaviour. She had a bit of food and was a bit sick but she has been drinking. She also has taken her hyperthyroidism tablets. I will call the 24 hour vet if necessary. I get so upset and then she is ok again but I know it's the progression of her CKD. I will update later : :thanks:

Offline Frances

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Christopher, Eleanor and George; RIP James
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2022, 21:57:21 PM »
Okay, take a deep breath.

When did Susan last eat either biscuits or wet food?  If it’s just today I wouldn’t worry too much, particularly as she is drinking.

What is she vomiting?  Is it food/treats she has just eaten, ie regurgitating, or is is partly digested food?  Are there any signs of furballs in what she is bringing up?  Again, if this just in the last 24 hours I would just note what she is doing. 

What is her behaviour like?  Does she seem distressed, wants to eat but cannot, trying to hide away or is she “normal for her” – you will know what that is ;).  The more she is behaving normally the less I think you need to consider an emergency vet although it would be a good idea to have her checked over by your vet as soon as possible in normal hours.

I think I would make sure she has food available this evening/overnight – anything you think she might fancy, it doesn’t have to be the renal stuff – and reassess her in the morning.  Being off her food for 24 hours or so could just be a gastric upset which should sort itself out, although I appreciate the CKD does cloud the issue somewhat. 

Please let us know how she gets on.

Offline Kate S

• Adult Cat
CKD hyperthyroidism and vomiting
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2022, 14:50:56 PM »
Susan has not been eating except a few treats and is vomiting regularly. I can't get a vet appointment until possibly 2 days time. She doesn't eat any of the kidney diet food except biscuits now and she hasn't eaten any today. I am so worried. She has been drinking but I might have to try the emergency vet (24 HR). I know her CKD is advancing but should I be panicking? Do you think it might calm down?

Link to CatChat