Author Topic: Hyperthyroidism and CKD and heart murmur grade 3  (Read 2108 times)

Offline Kate S

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Miaowser (RIP baby boy) & Rocky (RIP fella- too short a time with us. The new boss Joey
Re: Hyperthyroidism and CKD and heart murmur grade 3
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2022, 18:56:47 PM »
Thanks for your post. Susan has been eating better and taking her meds, although I have to change the pill pockets around. She is due another blood test in about 3 weeks. Her poo is runny and I am adding probiotics to her food. She is otherwise fine but vocalising more which is probably the hyperthyroidism. I have also got some vitamin B supplement to try so will see what happens

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2022, 10:57:16 AM »
Hi How's Susan doing?
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Kate S

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Miaowser (RIP baby boy) & Rocky (RIP fella- too short a time with us. The new boss Joey
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2022, 06:51:12 AM »
Hi, thanks for your reply. Susan has eaten well during the night but still refusing her meds. I have ordered something else to put the pill in so this should arrive today. The vet is different, as I was very distressed after they medicated her and she had an allergic reaction. My current vets have been hit by COVID so maybe they are catching up with appointments . In the past I have tried fish and chicken poached but not a success. Hopefully I will get more information today.

Offline Frances

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Christopher, Eleanor and George; RIP James
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2022, 17:27:43 PM »
Does your vet do blood analysis in house or do they send it off?  Even so, I would have thought they would have had a result within a week (and if my vet ever said they were “too busy” to call me back . . .).  As you say, turning up there for more information may be the way to go although it really should not be necessary. (Is this the same vets that gave the “enteritis” diagnosis in October?)

In the meantime try not to panic that Susan is not eating/missing her meds.  I think I’d concentrate on getting her to eat and re-introduce the meds once she gets her appetite back.  Have you tried her with “non-cat” food such as chicken or fish to (a) get something inside her and (b) make sure she doesn’t have a problem eating (eg a sore mouth). 

One of mine can be very ho-hum about eating cat food but has no problem with chicken thighs or M&S rare beef slices!  He is also un-pillable (the vet agreed after he bit her) :naughty:.

Let us know how you get on.

Offline Kate S

• Adult Cat
Hyperthyroidism and CKD and heart murmur grade 3
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2022, 12:46:50 PM »
Hi. Trying to get my cat Susan to eat. She has not taken her meds this morning. Has gone off the pill pockets,licked butter with pill, but not the pill :innocent:. I am still waiting for vet to call me after blood test last Sunday. They keep promising to call me and say they are very busy. So will have to go there tomorrow and wait. I am getting more and more worried. I think she eats a few biscuits in the night. If I keep offering her other food she gets fed up and sleeps under the bed.  :scared:

Link to CatChat