Author Topic: Hyperthyroidism and stage 1 kidney disease  (Read 1748 times)

Offline Kate S

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Miaowser (RIP baby boy) & Rocky (RIP fella- too short a time with us. The new boss Joey
Re: Hyperthyroidism and stage 1 kidney disease
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2021, 19:06:17 PM »
Thanks so much for your response. You are right I will just ensure she has renal food and the hyperthyroidism meds. In the meantime She will just keep driving me mad demanding food!! : 8) ;D

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Hyperthyroidism and stage 1 kidney disease
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2021, 18:34:45 PM »
Hi Kate, as I understand it, the thyroid food has to be the sole food for it to work effectively, and I don't know if it can be used as well as thyroid medication, you'd have to check with your vet. There are plenty of renal foods, I would buy them online, as despite being prescription food, you don't need a prescription. Sometimes just changing the dry food and leaving the wet normal can be enough to bring renal values down, but don't be surprised if they go up as her thyroid is stabilised, the extra blood pressure from hyper-t can mask kidney issues.
Please spay your cat

Offline Kate S

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Miaowser (RIP baby boy) & Rocky (RIP fella- too short a time with us. The new boss Joey
Hyperthyroidism and stage 1 kidney disease
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2021, 17:47:26 PM »
My cat Susan has just been diagnosed with the above. I have ordered special renal food which is coming tomorrow and will be administering her thyroid treatment as well. Just need some advice about other foods. I see there is also thyroid food for cats. Has anyone fed both renal and thyroid food? :scared:

Link to CatChat