Author Topic: Food Pouches or Sachets  (Read 16717 times)

Offline Sigord

• Adult Cat
    • Gordon's Free Software
  • Slave to: Chiana
Re: Food Pouches or Sachets
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2016, 06:32:57 AM »
There seems nothing new in crafty cats licking all the jelly first. I used to sit opposite a guy in ICI in Millbank London about the 70s. He often complained in the morning his cat often only ate the jelly.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2016, 21:51:15 PM »
Mine will lick the jelly off and sometimes go back later and eat the chunks.

Misa likes to have a mouthfull of wet food and a mouthfull of dry and alternates between the too which sit side by side.

I leave the food down all the time to see if they will eat it!

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 08:12:47 AM »
That's interesting to know Gordon.  I think there are many of us on Purrs whose cats are picky eaters.  I know Paddy used to lick all the jelly off and leave the food, and certainly Moray can be very sniffy - what he'll happily eat one week, he turns his nose up at the following week.  The Gurlies will by and large eat anything going, but even they're beginning to develop "a discerning palate" (double-speak for finicky!)

Offline Sigord

• Adult Cat
    • Gordon's Free Software
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2016, 06:24:16 AM »
I notice all the Iams biscuits recommended to me by the RSPCA seem to contain at least some chicken. I learnt to my cost Chiana now will not eat any Wiskas sachets. She will not eat the Lamb of Felix but I do not begrudge having to discard those few.

A little tip some might like to try. After she has first eaten all the jelly like many cats I believe, put a few Iams or Go Cat code nearby. When she has eaten some of all of them she eats the rest of the sachet. 

Offline Tim + Mr Finley

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Mr Finley
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 17:31:51 PM »
Hi Sigord, I know you asked this a while ago but thought I'd pick it up. To be honest, I don't know a huge amount about the particular type/brand of food you are feeding, and I'm not sure if there is such a thing as a vapour - it may just be that your cat likes to take their time with their dinner?!?! What I do know is that you will find it probably quite tricky to actually ever know for sure what is in the food as labelling in the UK tends to be a bit vague. I feed my cat, Mr Finley, food with fully declared ingredients so I know what he's having. The food contains lots of meat, offal and no added sugars or grains and he loves it. Maybe try these and see if the fussiness subsides?

Offline Sigord

• Adult Cat
    • Gordon's Free Software
Food Pouches or Sachets
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2016, 14:25:24 PM »
Like many cats I expect my Chiana liks some of these more that others. But many she will not even try until some 10 minutes after opening. So I wonder if anyone knows if the Pouches contain a preservative vapour that goes away after awhile then she eats it nearly all especially the jelly.

Link to CatChat