Author Topic: Teeth removal  (Read 1836 times)

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
Re: Teeth removal
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2021, 18:07:42 PM »
I'm glad that Susan is doing well. I, too, have had cats with few teeth that still managed to eat normally - wet, dry, raw, whatever.

Offline Kate S

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Miaowser (RIP baby boy) & Rocky (RIP fella- too short a time with us. The new boss Joey
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2021, 20:52:49 PM »
Hi. Thanks for your posts. Susan is much better today. I managed to get her edication and painkiller administered this morning. She is no longer hiding away and back on her favourite seat having belly rubs! ;D

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2021, 20:17:05 PM »
I'm sure Susan will feel better for having those painful teeth out. I remember my first toothless cat, she needed dry food or she'd be quite loose, so I started off putting them in the food processor to a fine dust, until a few months later when I put some down for my other cat and realised she could eat them perfectly well! Another one still managed to eat raw meat with no teeth, just as long as you cut it into small pieces.
Please spay your cat

Offline Frances

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Christopher, Eleanor and George; RIP James
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2021, 17:33:41 PM »
You don’t say how old Susan is but it’s not uncommon for older cats to lose their teeth to the point where they have few, if any, left.  Unlike people, fillings and crowns are not an option and once the teeth become damaged, or they get gum disease, extraction is the only choice.  Also, unlike people, they do not complain if their teeth are causing a problem unless they actually prevent them eating. 

I previously looked after a senior cat who had only a couple of teeth and she ate both wet and dry food without any problems.  If Susan has been having discomfort she will feel much better now and once her gums have healed you’ll probably find nothing will have changed in terms of her appetite and what she likes to eat.

Offline Kate S

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Miaowser (RIP baby boy) & Rocky (RIP fella- too short a time with us. The new boss Joey
Teeth removal
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2021, 07:32:38 AM »
Hi. My cat Susan had nearly all her teeth out yesterday. I feel guilty as I had not gone to the vet earlier. She is still a bit lethargic but is eating and has taken her meds this morning. How have others coped with their toothless cats?  :'(

Link to CatChat